Playing the guitar

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby ethanr » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:42 pm

I've been teaching myself to play the guitar lately, and I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for beginners.  I've got some trouble with general finger placement on chords, just touching a string with the edge of my finger that I'm not supposed to.  I have problem wit hitting the high e too hard on up strumming as well.  And mostly I can't do barres for Sh*t.  Any tips on any of those? Especially how to do barres...

Any tips on anything are appreciated.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby CraigBedworth » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Do yourself a favour and go online. There are literally thousands of great sites with video tutorials that will show you correct finger placement, movement etc.
I've been playing since I was about 14 (I'm 31 now) and I WISH I had had the internet back then! Would have saved me many, many hours of frustration.

Google "Ultimate Guitar" for tabs, chords and bass tabs. I think they offer video tuts too.
Google "Lyrics on Demand" for the lyrics to songs you want to learn to play...

All the best, mate!

CB
Bill Shankly : "If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win"
CraigBedworth
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:52 pm

justinguitar is the place for you mate, as craigbedworth said i wish i had these types of things around when i was learning donkeys ago!
i havent picked up a guitar in years but if i do i`d go to this site.
http://www.justinguitar.com/

he`s an australian guitar teacher / session musician who lives in london and he puts all his lessons up for free, the likes of brian may and steve via have praised him, and he has hundreds of lessons (500 i think) on his site and youtube that start out with the very basics like how to hold your guitar, how to string your guitar and how to tune it etc and they go right up to advanced technique`s.

here`s a couple of lessons from various stages -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o3lWAnWCig&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJSIZ3ugsE&feature=relmfu
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:08 pm

ethanr wrote:I've been teaching myself to play the guitar lately, and I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for beginners.  I've got some trouble with general finger placement on chords, just touching a string with the edge of my finger that I'm not supposed to.  I have problem wit hitting the high e too hard on up strumming as well.  And mostly I can't do barres for Sh*t.  Any tips on any of those? Especially how to do barres...

I played the electric guitar for 3 years during highschool but I stopped when I got into university. I guess a good way to work on your fingers is do warm up drills before practicing, for example hitting the first 4 notes on each chord etc... other than that you just have to keep practicing once you get the grips of the guitar it becomes easier. I used to a be metalhead dude (hence my nickname :D ) so I went into intense stuff like riffs, triplets and solos, but not the guns n' roses solos (very easy) the Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci and Vinnie Moore type.

Alas, I completely changed in university stopped playing it :(
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:43 pm

Wish i had the patience to learn guitar.

Closest i get is a session on Guitar Hero with the kids these days................

I'm Ace at that  :buttrock
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:08 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:justinguitar is the place for you mate, as craigbedworth said i wish i had these types of things around when i was learning donkeys ago!
i havent picked up a guitar in years but if i do i`d go to this site.
http://www.justinguitar.com/

he`s an australian guitar teacher / session musician who lives in london and he puts all his lessons up for free, the likes of brian may and steve via have praised him, and he has hundreds of lessons (500 i think) on his site and youtube that start out with the very basics like how to hold your guitar, how to string your guitar and how to tune it etc and they go right up to advanced technique`s.

here`s a couple of lessons from various stages -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o3lWAnWCig&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJSIZ3ugsE&feature=relmfu

This site is awesome, thanks for that.

And thanks all you guys.  Except guitar hero man.
ethanr

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:31 am

Guitars gay. Piano is where its at. The songs I play on that bad boy leaves everyone impressed, although im not without sympathy for those wanting to learn the guitar. One of my kids wanted to learn to play the guitar so we bought him an Acoustic one, he tried for a couple of weeks, gave up and now its gathering dust. My brother also, he wanted to learn then gave up. Its a cool instrument to play but if you don't have the patience to learn, then your onto a loser.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:35 am

Kharhaz wrote:Guitars gay. Piano is where its at. The songs I play on that bad boy leaves everyone impressed, although im not without sympathy for those wanting to learn the guitar. One of my kids wanted to learn to play the guitar so we bought him an Acoustic one, he tried for a couple of weeks, gave up and now its gathering dust. My brother also, he wanted to learn then gave up. Its a cool instrument to play but if you don't have the patience to learn, then your onto a loser.

You're gay.

Piano Pfft

:no  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:54 am

metalhead wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:Guitars gay. Piano is where its at. .

You're gay.

Piano Pfft

Careful MH mate or else Khar will have Elton John and Peter Allen around your place to play with your ivory :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:34 am

I've been playing for 25 years, not bedroom playing either, proper 'on the road' in a band type playing.

Bar chords are down to strength. If you strengthen your hands and fingers by doing some simple exercises you'll give yourself a good chance. I used to use a squash ball. sit at your desk at work and squeeze that squash ball in your left hand. you'll feel the muscles and tenders flexing, this is strengthening your hands. then, stretch your fingers. place your hand palm down on your desk, press down with your thumb and stretch out sideways with your little finger. do this a few times then back to the squash ball. repeat for an hour. you'll notice the difference.

also when learning a riff slow it down. play it really slowly and gradually build up to speed.

A simple major scale, this will help with your stretching and speed. start it off slow, build up...

|------------------------------------------------0--1--3------    thin E string (top E)
|---------------------------------------0--1--3---------------
|---------------------------------0--2------------------------
|------------------------0--2--3------------------------------
|---------------0--2--3---------------------------------------
|------0--1--3------------------------------------------------     thickest E string

and back down...

|------3--1--0------------------------------------------------
|---------------3--1--0---------------------------------------
|------------------------2--0---------------------------------
|------------------------------3--2--0------------------------
|---------------------------------------3--2--0---------------
|------------------------------------------------3--1--0------

Lesson over...   £25 please  :nod
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:08 am

metalhead wrote:
ethanr wrote:I've been teaching myself to play the guitar lately, and I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for beginners.  I've got some trouble with general finger placement on chords, just touching a string with the edge of my finger that I'm not supposed to.  I have problem wit hitting the high e too hard on up strumming as well.  And mostly I can't do barres for Sh*t.  Any tips on any of those? Especially how to do barres...

I played the electric guitar for 3 years during highschool but I stopped when I got into university. I guess a good way to work on your fingers is do warm up drills before practicing, for example hitting the first 4 notes on each chord etc... other than that you just have to keep practicing once you get the grips of the guitar it becomes easier. I used to a be metalhead dude (hence my nickname :D ) so I went into intense stuff like riffs, triplets and solos, but not the guns n' roses solos (very easy) the Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci and Vinnie Moore type.

Alas, I completely changed in university stopped playing it :(

Slash's solo's are easy..... pffft  :D
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Knockin on heaven's door was one of the easiest solos I have ever played :D

Yngie Malmasteen or Michael Angelo Batio's solos....oh dear :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Roger Red Hat wrote:I've been playing for 25 years, not bedroom playing either, proper 'on the road' in a band type playing.

Bar chords are down to strength. If you strengthen your hands and fingers by doing some simple exercises you'll give yourself a good chance. I used to use a squash ball. sit at your desk at work and squeeze that squash ball in your left hand. you'll feel the muscles and tenders flexing, this is strengthening your hands. then, stretch your fingers. place your hand palm down on your desk, press down with your thumb and stretch out sideways with your little finger. do this a few times then back to the squash ball. repeat for an hour. you'll notice the difference.

also when learning a riff slow it down. play it really slowly and gradually build up to speed.

A simple major scale, this will help with your stretching and speed. start it off slow, build up...

|------------------------------------------------0--1--3------    thin E string (top E)
|------0--1--3------------------------------------------------     thickest E string

and back down...

I used to do that drill before playing something, thought I would hit 4 notes per chord. It helps build up your speed and improve your sweeps.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:55 pm

metalhead wrote:
Roger Red Hat wrote:I've been playing for 25 years, not bedroom playing either, proper 'on the road' in a band type playing.

and back down...

I used to do that drill before playing something, thought I would hit 4 notes per chord. It helps build up your speed and improve your sweeps.

Thank you I'll definitely mess with that today.  Have to start strengthening my hands  as well.

And your check's in the mail  :;):
ethanr

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:10 am

laza » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:54 am wrote:
metalhead wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:Guitars gay. Piano is where its at. .

You're gay.

Piano Pfft

Careful MH mate or else Khar will have Elton John and Peter Allen around your place to play with your ivory :D

Hey us three play the elephants with our bare hands at concerts ! we rock !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum