Michael shields........your views - Any rumours on the grapevine?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby 65-1114725958 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:31 pm

A slight change on recent topics.......

His trial has just started.

He is currently on remand at a prison in Varna awaiting a trial next week and could face a 20-year jail term if convicted.

The Kop season- ticket holder, from Wavertree, was arrested in the Bulgarian resort of Golden Sands as he travelled home from watching Liverpool's Champions League final triumph in Istanbul in May.

He was arrested alongside two other Liverpool youths, and accused of hitting a Bulgarian bartender over the head with a slate and leaving him for dead.

But Michael, who insists he was in bed at his hotel when the attack happened, has been backed by several independent witnesses who say he was with them.

Four witnesses have flown to Bulgaria to sign sworn affidavits vouching for Michael.

His family believe that another Liverpool youth carried out the attack but was able to leave Bulgaria in a mix-up.

The ECHO has revealed how Michael was forced to take part in an identity parade in clothes he was not wearing on the night of the attack.

And Wavetree MP Louise Ellman has written to Tony Blair calling for Michael's case to be reviewed before trial.

What you all reckon? i've just come from another forum, the general feeling is that this guy is innocent. I've seen people have partitions for people to sign outside anfield etc/ posters etc, but most fans i'm presuming do not know all the facts.
a few things i have read:

1.  Shields has claimed that a lad from weavertree admitted to fellow travellers that he had done it, and was glad he was allowed home.

2. Hotel where shields was staying had CCTV cameras, to prove shileds arrived back to his hotel and was asleep at the time of the attack, but the cameras were not working!

3. He's being held without charge.

4. Today or yeterday in court, witnesses have been taking the stand, saying it was him etc etc.

My own opinion.................not looking good for the lad. if comment "1" is true, then some lad in wavertree is going to have a lot of guilt on his mind for a while.

:(
65-1114725958

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:41 pm

The lad wants 70 grand to drop the charges, theres no way he is going to get it, if Bulgaria want to come into Europe they arnt going the right way about it.
And no Michael didnt do it, his sh.it bag so called mate did. :angry: The kid will die if he gets 15 years over there, and the other lad is looking at a few years for canabis possesion.
Last edited by Ciggy on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:38 am

what is the foreign office doing about this farce,a british citizen is being treated unfairly and the foreign office and jack straw have said nothing,it,s disgraceful :veryangry
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:42 am

shady for the guy if he didnt do it
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm

source bbc:

Man 'admits Bulgarian bar attack' 

Michael Shields has denied carrying out the attack
The family of a Liverpool man accused of attempted murder in Bulgaria hope he will soon be freed after another man admitted carrying out the attack.
Michael Shields, 18, of Wavertree, faces 20 years in jail if convicted of attacking a barman with a brick.

Mr Shields, who visited Bulgaria after watching Liverpool FC win the Champions League, went on trial on Thursday.

But a solicitor for electrician Graham Sankey, 20, of Anfield, has said he has admitted responsibility for the attack.

"His conscience has told him that he must take these steps to end the agony that Michael and his family have been going through for these past few horrendous weeks," said Wirral-based lawyer David Kirwan in a statement.

It is a great relief for us - I'd love to go to that prison and say 'Get him out, that kid's innocent'

Joey Graney, Michael Shield's uncle

"Reading about Michael appearing in a Bulgarian court left him with no alternative but to come forward and admit his part in the events of that night.

"My client is prepared to stand trial only in Britain and to accept the consequences".

Mr Kirwan added that Mr Sankey's parents had received threats in recent days but were standing by their son.

A Bulgarian court in Varna was told on Thursday that barman Martin Georgiev, 25, had suffered a fractured skull and may have brain damage after being hit on the head with a brick by a Liverpool fan.

Mr Shields was one of many Liverpool supporters holidaying at the Golden Sands resort after watching their team beat AC Milan in the Champions League Final in Istanbul in May.

Martin Georgiev's skull was fractured in the attack

He has always denied the charge, saying he was asleep in bed when the alleged incident took place in the early hours of 30 May.

Another fan, Anthony Wilson, 19, from Edge Hill, Liverpool, denies charges of hooliganism and possessing drugs.

Mr Shields' uncle, Joey Graney, who has flown out to Bulgaria to be with him, told the BBC he was "very happy" about the development.

"It is a great relief for us - I'd love to go to that prison and say 'Get him out, that kid's innocent'," he said.

"We've just got to wait. Hopefully the British Consulate will get Michael out as soon as possible and home, where he belongs."

In Liverpool, there has been a campaign for Mr Shield's freedom with banners on the street where he lives proclaiming his innocence.

'Miscarriage of justice'

Liverpool Riverside MP Louise Ellman, said the trial should now be halted.

"The trial is due to be resumed on Monday. I am now calling for it to be halted in the wake of what has now happened," she said.

"The truth must come out and all possible witnesses should be called to give evidence. This is a very significant development and it is time for the full story to be told.

"It would be a miscarriage of justice and a travesty of justice as well for the trial to proceed without consideration of this new development."
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:10 pm

Alfonso Alonso 1 wrote:I've seen people have partitions for people to sign outside anfield

Partitions ? , as in a structure for dividing up a space ?  :laugh:

Surely you mean ,Petition ? ,as in formal written request signed by many people .  :nod 

We'll at least the real culprit has held his hand up . Not sure how that will wash with the Bulgarian authorities . Sankey may have to make sworn and witnessed statement and deliver it to the Bulgarian  Embassy in the UK  ,the Bulgarians may then apply for his extradition. In the meantime i'm wondering if our police will now get involved.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:16 pm

Going to be a bit controversial here, but would the government possibly do more if the lad was a Londoner/Southerner ???
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:22 pm

NO   :no

What kind of question is that anyway .???

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:33 pm

I know I'm being way too cynical for my own good, just thinking that their may be a bit more press coverage and rallying for the cause if he was from Southern England.

Again, I'm probably way off track and being a cynic.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:36 pm

He had to own up, there was no way Michaels family was going to let there son do time for something he didnt do, his whole family are devistated.
But no the lad who done it said theres no way hes goin to Bulgaria  ???
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:56 pm

woof woof ! wrote:NO   :no

What kind of question is that anyway .???

:D  :laugh: it's a a question from.. "down-under"  :oh:  :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum