Last time i will ever mention it - Torrents...legal?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:28 am

Ok, i sometimes complain a little about torrents, people who download films and tv from the internet.

Due to people doing this channel 4 got rid of lost so anyone who wanted to watch it propery had to buy sky. I dont want sky.

People say that the moviebusiness is rich enough anyway, but thats not the point.

the advert at the beginning of dvds..you wouldnt steal a car or handbag, piracy is stealing, stealing is illegal.

Is using a torrent the same as piracy? I just wanna know.

If it is 100% legal i will never mention it again.

If, however it is illegal, then shouldnt it be banend from being mentioned on here? Otherwise whats to stop people selling weed on here? Or anything... right is right people, thats all im saying. Dont ask why i care so much about this, but i do...

If someone can let me know so i dont moan non stop it would be nice.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:32 am

Torrents are legal, some (most) of the things downloaded using torrents arn't.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:32 am

Is using a torrent the same as piracy? I just wanna know.

If it is 100% legal i will never mention it again.

Asking that IMO, is asking if the internet, or the e-mail, or the FTP is legal.

Or if you want another example, asking if driving a car is legal.

It's legal depending on what you do Dawson. Driving a car at 50 Mph is legal, at 150Mph is illegal.

Using the FTP for downloading data patters of a university is legal, sharing the latest movie for profit is illegal.

Same applies for torrents.

I must say though, that the last sentences in Europe about INDIVIDUALS downloading music and films, are declaring the individuals innocent, as long as they don't use it for profit.

What's mostly prosecuted are the ones who make profit with others' work.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:35 am

sounds like a loophole that needs to be sorted. i will always say its stealing, but if legal then i'll not moan more
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:37 am

Well why shouldn't you share your view?

We had a debate about that a while ago and it was interesting.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:42 am

yeah but im sure im the only one saying its wrong.

I just dont get how someone downloading a movie for free can be legal... it just doesnt make sense and its another reason why terrestrial tv is not buying up as many things and murdoch is gettiong richer and richer.

Its like the liverpool torrents people put up, that is taking money away from the game...fact.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:50 am

It's almost a philosophical debate.

When we think of "steal" we think of having a thing of our property, and someone else grab it from you. As a result you no longer have the property and the thief has it.

That's not the case in a movie. In a movie they sell the whole experience of the cinema, their sound system etc, where as when it goes to gen public they sell the movie and documentations, etc. By downloading it you don't make they don't have the movie anymore.

Actually downloading in my case has helped so that I buy more products. For instance I downloaded weezer from the internet, and I liked it so much, that I bought all his records and I went to their concert when they came...

It would be different though if I downloaded weezer and started selling pirate CDs. That would be making profit of Weezer's work. I'd never tolerate that.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:57 am

Dawson to quote your reply to Leon in who is our greatest rivals thread

'times are a changing'*

* well i can't remmeber exactly but it was something like that.

:D

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:59 am

so...i can get a liverpool torrent, and get no oen to pay sky so everyone watches the games on a computer...miollions taken away from the game if all prem clubs do this...but thats fine yeah?
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:04 am

so...i can get a liverpool torrent, and get no oen to pay sky so everyone watches the games on a computer...miollions taken away from the game if all prem clubs do this...but thats fine yeah?

Well, good point.

When I was a lad I was given the Liverpool games in the Basque TV for free.

Then with the digital era I had to pay for watching Liverpool.

THing is, that in the digital era, with all the torrents, LFC receives TONS of money more from the TV channels than in the past.

And another fact is, that due to I watch Liverpool with torrents I buy official merchandise. If I hadn't the chance to watch LFC regularly, perhaps I wouldn't be as hooked.

I just don't see that if I go down to the pub and drink beers watching Liverpool I'm ok, but if I download a torrent I'm a thief.

But you have a point.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:10 am

dawson i agree with you, i dont agree with torrents (i dont know how they work)

i have to buy the dvds   :D

seriously mate te defeinition of theft is dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another, with the intention of permantly depriving that person of it.

to have theft you need all these constituents, in this case i dont se it as permanantly depriving the person of it, so theft in the legal sense it isnt. i think it falls under intellectual property but i may be wrong.

same as music downloads
112-1077774096

Postby babu » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:45 pm

dawson99 wrote:so...i can get a liverpool torrent, and get no oen to pay sky so everyone watches the games on a computer...miollions taken away from the game if all prem clubs do this...but thats fine yeah?

eh?

ok sure you have a point.

But you need to prove cause and effect.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:53 pm

I have never used torrents at least not since the bad old days of Kazaar, but I do believe they are having a positive effect on the pricing of DVD'S etc, forcing the prices down as they try to maintain market share. As long as they are for personal use and not for selling purposes I dont see a problem.
account deleted by request

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:04 pm

babu wrote:
dawson99 wrote:so...i can get a liverpool torrent, and get no oen to pay sky so everyone watches the games on a computer...miollions taken away from the game if all prem clubs do this...but thats fine yeah?

eh?

ok sure you have a point.

But you need to prove cause and effect.

Cause and effect?
Ok, we will look at the tv show lost.

channel 4 would not pay for it as viewing figures had gone down a lot. Which is funny as loads still watch it. Sky takes control of Lost. the effect is im pi$$ed off as i dont have sky.

People are watching Lost on torrents. This causes companies to not want to take it on any more. Now what do i do? watch ugly fricking betty? i dont care how ugly the bint is...

birdstyle progs are not downloaded as much so terrestrial tv keeps moer of them.

When it comes to films it doesnt matter if it is for 'personal' use. go to the cinema. rent the film. no one can say that it helps the market for people to exploit ompanies this way. if it was ok to be free then rentals would nto have to be extortionate!!!
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby peterc1992 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:37 pm

I try to download things from torrent but its very complicated,anyone help me out.
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum