FAO Mechanics

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:46 am

Hi,

Recently I've noticed the steering on my car (power assisted) heavier than usual, especially at low speeds, like pulling away and turning.

I've browsed the net for info but every now and then come across conflicting 'opinions'.

Basically, I'm hoping (if it's possible), that my wheel alignment is out, making the car steer heavier at such low speeds - is it possible for the wheel alignment to effect the steering of the car and make if feel slightly heavier?

I hope it's not the power steering pump or even more expensive mechanisms like the rack and pinion thingy...

Thanks in advance.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:27 am

Check the flux capacitor first
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:59 am

Benny The Noon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:27 am wrote:Check the flux capacitor first

wtf is that when it's at home Benny?

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:13 pm

ahhh I know what this is mate.. .   it's your upper rocking locking topper sprocket. or it could be your giggling spring thats gone
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:31 pm

you're getting weak. do more push ups.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Foo foo valve. Change it

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:14 pm

Check your sphinctre valve.....sounds like you need more lubrication....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby laza » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Cue Sucking of teeth

"Internet quote for mechanical advise"

Lets hope Mike doesnt find out
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Check your warp speed engine.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:01 pm

Stop driving it like a t!t :D
LFC2007

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:24 pm

comedians :D

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:37 pm

Sounds like a combo of power steering pump and wheel balance.

changing a power steering pump is not too much of a hassle.  If it's Rack and pinion, yer fooked.

I worked for an auto parts comapny for a few years during my off seasons.  We used to prank call the Newbs and ask for a flux capacitor for a 1985 DeLorean.  Also would ask how much it would be for a Hyperdrive for a 1977 Millenium Falcon.  The responses were priceless.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:43 am

It could just be your power steering fluid.  I had a problem with my last car a few years ago, same exact thing as you.  The wheel became harder to turn when I was going slower, it's basically just losing power steering.  I ignored it at first because you don't actually need power steering, many older cars don't have it.  But I realized that power steering fluid also runs the fan that cools your engine, so I'd check that just in case.

Check your power steering fluid.  If it's low, get some power steering fluid + leak stop or whatever it's called, it's all in the same bottle.  Fill that up and just watch it for a couple days to see if it still leaks.  The leak stop will clog up small cracks and leaks in the plastic container and hoses and could fix your problem.

If your good on power steering tho, then I've got no clue.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:32 am

@ both American posters (thanks for the sensible responses  :D )

Wheel balancing & alignment are two different things aren't they. I drive off road, in fact where I live it's dirt, bumps, water-crossings and corrugations for about 650KM to the nearest 'sealed' road.

I'm hoping the alignment CAN effect the steering but I'm not sure as I've read contradicting opinions on it.

There is power steering fluid topped up in the car, it's always been fine and stayed that reddish colour that it is - no signs of brown-ing, or burning. There are no noises when I turn the car but it does feel heavy never the less.

The power steering pump needs to be tested doesn't it with a pressure gauge though?

Also, 'Kin'el' I paid $2200 to have a lift kit and shocks put on it by Pedders. F.ucking huge mistake - I only just found out the incompetent tw@t who fitted the rear coils had put the wrong f.ucking ones on  :no . The front has a new damper but somewhere near it, they have twisted one of the rods underneath the front - I don't know whether this could effect the steering. I'll have to drive 650KM on these dodgy f.ucking springs to get the b@rtsards to fix it up - they owe me a free wheel alignment, I hope that sorts it.

But if it's the power steering pump (not belt driven) is it easy to install yourself?

Cheers.

:unclesam:

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:34 am

Honestly if you just go to the auto store and buy the in depth manual on your specific model and year, it will give you step-by-step directions on how to do it, and if you're good at following directions and understand what parts the pictures and manual are referring to, then you'll be fine.  Or even look online, but the manual (usually $10-20) tells you exactly what to do, you just have to be patient and thorough when going through it.  If you're patient and understand the basics of cars, and can easily point out a lot of the different parts of your car, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Just realize that once you start taking your care apart, you better f*cking be able to stick it back together properly because you're 650KM from your repair guy  :;):
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Next

Return to General Chat Forum