Ebay - Is it good for you.....

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby drummerphil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:20 pm

In 20 minutes time my first attempt at trying to sell something on Ebay will be over.I've put something on auction 5 days ago and its reached its reserve price 2 days back.
How does anyone else do on here and do you always get the price you want.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:22 pm

i've tried selling the missus but no joy yet. in fact i've tried selling all sorts of people's missus's with varying degrees of success
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:25 pm

Woollyback wrote:i've tried selling the missus but no joy yet. in fact i've tried selling all sorts of people's missus's with varying degrees of success

cheers for that i've been racking my brains trying to think what else  i can sell..... :D
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:33 pm

drummerphil wrote:
Woollyback wrote:i've tried selling the missus but no joy yet. in fact i've tried selling all sorts of people's missus's with varying degrees of success

cheers for that i've been racking my brains trying to think what else  i can sell..... :D

Thats the problem Phil.Once you have sold/bought something
it can be a bit addictive.I bought a new phone last week,didnt need one now looking at accesories[dongle or USB
lead] Iwill buy one but probably never use it.
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:44 pm

What are you trying to sell?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:44 pm

I've never sold anything but I've bought about 15 items on Ebay.

It can be highly addictive, trying to find something which is cheap as chips and watching your bid over the course of a night or two.

However, it can be frustrating when you get idiots involved in a bidding war. I've seen plenty of people biding way over the odds for second hand computer games, DVDs or CDs when you can actually walk down to your local record store and buy them cheaper.

I can understand paying a lot of money for out of stock or hard to find items but its stupidity on the highest level when you see people paying far in excess of retail prices for items that can be bought new elsewhere online for cheaper or on the high street.

All the same, every time I've used Ebay I've picked up absolute bargains and have never had a problem.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby drummerphil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:47 pm

I've just sold two tickets for little britain live in manchester......paid £27.50 each for them and just got £91
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:50 pm

Hey phil, I've got a Fender Strat on there at the moment, isn't shifting though. Just bought one this week... bargain. I love it.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:55 pm

my tickets had been on £70 for the last 3 days.......then shot up to £91 with 1 min 42 seconds left.
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:13 pm

Lee J wrote:Hey phil, I've got a Fender Strat on there at the moment, isn't shifting though. Just bought one this week... bargain. I love it.

WHATS THAT ......You have bought a new one and your selling an older one.
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:15 pm

drummerphil wrote:I've just sold two tickets for little britain live in manchester......paid £27.50 each for them and just got £91

Scab.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby drummerphil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:20 pm

JBG wrote:
drummerphil wrote:I've just sold two tickets for little britain live in manchester......paid £27.50 each for them and just got £91

Scab.

:laugh: ........i've only sold them because i cant go because of my health.I bought them over a year ago and just put them on auction to see if they went.
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:58 am

It's like anything else in consumer-driven places - if it's popular, it shifts. If not, you may as well have sex with a Panda.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:42 am

Sorry for dumb newbie questions but is there any problems on Ebay  with getting ripped off by people and does it have collectables antique section

cheers
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:59 am

Basically yes to both.

The idea behind Ebay is the sellers (and buyers) gain a feedback rating, and this indicates the reliability of the trader. (100%, 57%, etc.)

Feedback is left by the buyer and seller on their counterparts, and the whole Ebay waggon keeps a rollin'.

Con men are rife, though, so be sure to check the descriptions and terms fully. (Cases where people have bidded on what they believed was a Gameboy, etc, turned out to be the box only. As long as you thoroughly check the descriptions, then you're covered.)

They use "PayPal", which to a point guarentees your money (whereby if some thieving b*stard makes off with your dosh, Paypal can track it down and give you it back.)

Most decent sellers only accept Paypal, where dodgy ones will obviously ask for a personal cheque.

In short - use it, don't abuse it. Double check the descriptions(this is the 3rd time I've said it due to it's importance), use a tracable source of payment, and be vigilant.

Ebay is brilliant when you follow these guidelines. :;):
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum