Beware the dangers of sat nav

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:03 pm

Well that is the person themselves as opposed to the sat nav - sat nav is a driving aid not a driving tool and sure be purely used just to help as opposed to following it religiously - yes those people who do that are fecking stupid
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:14 pm

I can't see how anyone wouldn't find them useful. I am generally tired of technology as half the time it seems to be making your 'whites whiter' but sat navs genuinely save you untold amounts of trouble. It cuts out thinking about where you're going and allows you to relax and listen to music or the radio more. I hate driving on the roads these days and anything that can improve that experience has to be a positive thing.
loopyliverpool

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:37 pm

GYBS wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:Buy a map, or an atlas.....if you have to rely on a satellite hundreds of miles up in the sky to find the way from A to B, then you're probably too stupid to be driving in the first place....
I really don't get the obsession with them.

They make life easier for people that do a lot of driving and also help you through traffic problems and enable you to not have to stop and look at a map every two secs . And just because people use them certainly does not make them stupid .

Oh gimme a break, you tart....
Listen to the radio reports for traffic problems. Learn to read a map - like the previous poster said, it's not hard.....presuming you can read. And if you can't read, you're too dangerous to drive anyway - how the hell can you "read" road warning signs ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Sat navs are potentially problematic because they rarely incorporate intangibles.  They often go for shortest routes based on straightline distance but, as we all know, more circuitous routes on better roads are often much faster.  As Bungle says, you'll never find a sat nav that compensates for traffic at certain times of day, the fact that the local sports stadium is just emptying when you're trying to drive by, it's a snowy day and the usual route has a steep hill that you don't want to mess with, certain neighbourhoods are not ones to be driving through at night, etc.  Effective navigation is an art and should be cultivated, not a chore that should be relinquished to the latest gizmo.  Think of the neurological benefits wayfinding gives your brain! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:56 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
GYBS wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:Buy a map, or an atlas.....if you have to rely on a satellite hundreds of miles up in the sky to find the way from A to B, then you're probably too stupid to be driving in the first place....
I really don't get the obsession with them.

They make life easier for people that do a lot of driving and also help you through traffic problems and enable you to not have to stop and look at a map every two secs . And just because people use them certainly does not make them stupid .

Oh gimme a break, you tart....
Listen to the radio reports for traffic problems. Learn to read a map - like the previous poster said, it's not hard.....presuming you can read. And if you can't read, you're too dangerous to drive anyway - how the hell can you "read" road warning signs ?

I can read and i can read a map very well - it sort of helps in the military so map reading is pretty simple for me but find a sat nav pretty useful on the occasions when they are required .

Like i said just because someone uses a sat nav doesnt make them stupid .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Sat navs are potentially problematic because they rarely incorporate intangibles.  They often go for shortest routes based on straightline distance but, as we all know, more circuitous routes on better roads are often much faster.  As Bungle says, you'll never find a sat nav that compensates for traffic at certain times of day, the fact that the local sports stadium is just emptying when you're trying to drive by, it's a snowy day and the usual route has a steep hill that you don't want to mess with, certain neighbourhoods are not ones to be driving through at night, etc.  Effective navigation is an art and should be cultivated, not a chore that should be relinquished to the latest gizmo.  Think of the neurological benefits wayfinding gives your brain! :D

Some sat navs recalulate with traffic reports etc so help you avoid those situations when needed - and if people are stupid enough to drive in bad weather snow etc with them , them doing it with a map will make no difference whatsoever - they will still be stupid enough to drive through the bad weather.

Sat navs are extremly useful if used correctly and used as a driving aid as opposed to a driving tool that you stick to religiously .

P.S. All the latest fighter jets etc come with GPS maps helping you where to go as opposed to using maps and doesnt seem to be harming them  :;):
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:04 pm

For somebody in the military, mate, you certainly seem to have an awful lot of time on your hands to espouse the virtues of a gizmo to help you find yer ar$e from yer elbow .... :D
I think you need a good war to toughen you up a bit... :laugh:
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 pm

GYBS wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Sat navs are potentially problematic because they rarely incorporate intangibles.  They often go for shortest routes based on straightline distance but, as we all know, more circuitous routes on better roads are often much faster.  As Bungle says, you'll never find a sat nav that compensates for traffic at certain times of day, the fact that the local sports stadium is just emptying when you're trying to drive by, it's a snowy day and the usual route has a steep hill that you don't want to mess with, certain neighbourhoods are not ones to be driving through at night, etc.  Effective navigation is an art and should be cultivated, not a chore that should be relinquished to the latest gizmo.  Think of the neurological benefits wayfinding gives your brain! :D

Some sat navs recalulate with traffic reports etc so help you avoid those situations when needed - and if people are stupid enough to drive in bad weather snow etc with them , them doing it with a map will make no difference whatsoever - they will still be stupid enough to drive through the bad weather.

Sat navs are extremly useful if used correctly and used as a driving aid as opposed to a driving tool that you stick to religiously .

P.S. All the latest fighter jets etc come with GPS maps helping you where to go as opposed to using maps and doesnt seem to be harming them  :;):

You're absolutely right, mate.  They're a useful tool in the hands of intelligent people (just like maps are, after all).  Unfortunately, too many people fundamentally rely on them to think for them and they run the risk of getting themselves into more bother than they might have experienced without the technology.  In the case of this bus driver I mentioned, the sat nav meant he didn't have to think about his route and, crucially, that he didn't have to plan anything in advance.  He was content to hop on board, program in the destination and let the navigator do the rest.  As a result, he was not forearmed with any knowledge of the city in case things went wrong (which they did).  Just like the best pilots know how to fly without instruments if necessary, the best navigators have the wherewithall to wayfind without technology if necessary.  My worry is that too few people recognize that when they buy these things.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:07 pm

I think you will find there is already two wars going on that i have found myself involved in now far too many times for my own liking and quiet happy now to live the easy life for a bit . :;):

Sat Navs and GPS devices have saved peoples lives and will continue to do so :)
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:09 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
GYBS wrote:

You're absolutely right, mate.  They're a useful tool in the hands of intelligent people (just like maps are, after all).  Unfortunately, too many people fundamentally rely on them to think for them and they run the risk of getting themselves into more bother than they might have experienced without the technology.  In the case of this bus driver I mentioned, the sat nav meant he didn't have to think about his route and, crucially, that he didn't have to plan anything in advance.  He was content to hop on board, program in the destination and let the navigator do the rest.  As a result, he was not forearmed with any knowledge of the city in case things went wrong (which they did).  Just like the best pilots know how to fly without instruments if necessary, the best navigators have the wherewithall to wayfind without technology if necessary.  My worry is that too few people recognize that when they buy these things.

I always plan any route before had if i havent done that route before or never been to the place before - the sat nav is there just to help me along to make sure i am right and also to inform me of any roadworks or accidents and to divert me around if needed - i mainly most of the time ignore it and use roadsigns instead . But its there just in case i need it .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:34 pm

there have been some fiery and ferocious debates on this forum over the years; homosexuality, religion, crime and punishment, wars and terrorism.

i fear the debate over sat nav may become the darkest yet.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:37 pm

It's good for taxi drivers to use GPS as they can plan the quickest route. :;):
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:38 pm

andy_g wrote:there have been some fiery and ferocious debates on this forum over the years; homosexuality, religion, crime and punishment, wars and terrorism.

i fear the debate over sat nav may become the darkest yet.

Aye.  My passion for this topic knows no limits.  I cannot be responsible for what I say!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby loopyliverpool » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:45 pm

I don't see what the argument is! Just cos a couple of morons have misused sat navs they are suddenly condemned as god knows what... I still don't understand what the issue is.. it simply guides you from A to B if you need it and saves the hassle of looking at maps before/during your journey. Brilliant!
loopyliverpool

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:09 pm

IMHO some technology should be tested further before spreading it worldwide. IMHO being a co-pilot requires some intelligence and sat navs are devices that have no intelligence. Those devices should be used before the trip, or with the car stopped, but once driving the human must have the control, and if you want co-pilot functions use your mate beside you.

It recently happened near San Sebastian that a new highway that is going to be opened in some months, appeared as opened in the sat navs, and you can imagine the chaos looking for a road that is there but it's not there.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum