Postby GOAT » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:34 pm

burjennio wrote:acdc - back in black
oasis - definately maybe
iron maiden - number of the beast
queen - innuendo
gnr - use your illusion 1&2
counting crows - recovering the satellites

just of the top of my head

I reckon the self titled debut, Powerslave, Piece of Mind and Seventh Son are better than Numebr of the Beast, bit overrated IMO
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Big Niall » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:43 pm

I never heard anyone say use your illusions is better than appetite - unique.

anyway, now I have to get metallica's early stuff, pink floyd,black sabbath and deep purple. (god, I need; a second job now); I had led zepellens best of album but it didn't really connect with me.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:47 pm

albums define an era as well, so parklife by Blur will always be a fave, and the Lemonheads album.

the smiths and Stone roses are timeless as is appetite for destruction...
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Big Niall wrote:I never heard anyone say use your illusions is better than appetite - unique.

anyway, now I have to get metallica's early stuff, pink floyd,black sabbath and deep purple. (god, I need; a second job now); I had led zepellens best of album but it didn't really connect with me.

im not sayin the Illusion albums are better than Appetite, i just prefer them cause they're more diverse and they started doing piano pieces but damnit im just a sucker for an emotional rock ballad (i know, gay  :D )

and 7th son is a great shout for best maiden album too.
burjennio

Postby Effes » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Dalglish wrote:6.  George Michael - Older

An album most blokes wouldn't admit to liking to their mates.

Good shout mate.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:54 pm

GYBS wrote:Why cant i have a greatest hits album as one of my favs ?!

Good shout on rumours and Cranberries DAlglish

Because it's a complilation of songs, not an album as such. It can be one of your personal favourites (I love it myself), but it couldn't be classed as one of the greatest albums ever.
Last edited by NiftyNeil on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:50 am

GOAT wrote:
oasis - definately maybe
queen - innuendo

I reckon the self titled debut, Powerslave, Piece of Mind and Seventh Son are better than Numebr of the Beast, bit overrated IMO

and overlook somewhere in time while you are at it...that's quite controversial amongst my group of friends. These are all Smith freaks and see that as his pinnacle. Personally I think Bruce lost it a little bit on that one and I am not too keen on the production.

Big fan of Powerslave, huge fan of seventh son, although the singles have bred contempt over the year. Love Infinite Dreams, the Prophecy and Only the Good though.

Piece of Mind is an overlooked classic sandwiched between 2 giants.  You cannot argue with Nicko's opening to that record though, still fecking awesome. Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Trooper and Still Life, worthy of a knighthood in themselves surely :)

Ahhh, those were the days when your heroes could prance around with long hair, wearing spandex and it was considered dangerous  :D
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:58 am

Emerald Red wrote:Four pages and not one mention of Purple Rain?

What the f*ck like?

Oh, and I'm gonna throw this out there, but I think Nirvana were seriously overrated, and Kurt Cobain was just a w@nker that blew his loaf off. What a waste. I mean, their most famous song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was actually about a anti-perspirant. Says it all, really.

Cos it's :censored: innit.... :D

As for Nirvana, I think that it is easy to knock the guy. His style and sound influenced music arguably more than Hendrix (purely base this on the fact that there was no media format/outlet when Hendrix was around and reached way more people).

What I always say to the haters there is, what is music if not a chemistry of sounds that excite the brain. The format is almost irrelevant. The combination of his guitar and voice, with Grohls drumming and some v. solid bass playing is undeniable imho. All the people that jumped on the bandwagon are the ones that ballsed it all up.

My biggest gripe is that musical tastes have changed with kids so much these days. If you look at what is in regular rotation these days in terms of heavy music and consider that Welcome to the Jungle wasn't played during the daytime by MTV 20 years ago, you see that kids tastes have gotten WAY heavier.

The segregation that existed when I was a kid doesn't seem to be there anymore. Dance, rap and metal have all gotten closer to each other and all harder too. Funny how quickly things change.

Anyhow, you can't knock Nirvana in my book, the guy had an ear for melody and a voice that spoke to a generation that is comparable to most of the stuff that came out of the 60's.
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:13 am

NiftyNeil wrote:It says "it's fun to smoke marajuana". Record players of old, you could just put the needle on the record and manually turn the record backwards - none of that reversing the polarity nonsense.

It doesn't really though does it? more like some garbled message that is barely recogniseable.

I remember this hilarious documentary that was on Channel 4 almost 20 years ago called Dancing with the Devil which examined satanism in music and backwards masking etc. It was at the tail end of all the PMRC scandals etc and the Priest and Ozzy trials.

They had this fat bloke with a record player playing AOBTD backwards saying exactly that and the interviewer was looking at him like he was nuts. The dude spent half his life listening to records backwards trying to figure what was out there.

The Priest trial was great too, cos you've got Priest in suits in the court listening to these lawyers trying to make out that they heard a DO IT amongst some guitars...it was tenous at best.

In their best brummie accents they say to the camera, at the time that we were recording this album, the technology to do what they are saying didn't exist and even it it did we couldn't have afforded it....we couldn't even afford to pay for our sandwiches at that time.

So then, they go through the Stained Class album themselves and pull out their own things they found going backwards:

Hey ma, it;s so fruity it's funny
I asked for a peppermint, I asked him to get me one

And then they play this to the court....hilarious.

I can only find a version of this in spanish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWWdMxPuzUo

AOBTD backwards at the start
Priest accused at 5 mins - the do it section (nonsense)
Priest accused at 7:30  - (try suicide)

Priest response at 8:20 - i asked for a peppermint (halfords face is classic
Homebooby

Postby GOAT » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:04 am

Homebooby wrote:
NiftyNeil wrote:It says "it's fun to smoke marajuana". Record players of old, you could just put the needle on the record and manually turn the record backwards - none of that reversing the polarity nonsense.

It doesn't really though does it? more like some garbled message that is barely recogniseable.

I remember this hilarious documentary that was on Channel 4 almost 20 years ago called Dancing with the Devil which examined satanism in music and backwards masking etc. It was at the tail end of all the PMRC scandals etc and the Priest and Ozzy trials.

They had this fat bloke with a record player playing AOBTD backwards saying exactly that and the interviewer was looking at him like he was nuts. The dude spent half his life listening to records backwards trying to figure what was out there.

The Priest trial was great too, cos you've got Priest in suits in the court listening to these lawyers trying to make out that they heard a DO IT amongst some guitars...it was tenous at best.

In their best brummie accents they say to the camera, at the time that we were recording this album, the technology to do what they are saying didn't exist and even it it did we couldn't have afforded it....we couldn't even afford to pay for our sandwiches at that time.

So then, they go through the Stained Class album themselves and pull out their own things they found going backwards:

:laugh: That is brilliant mate cheers for that, f.ucking hilarious

Nutters they are, sounds nothing like "do it" or "try suicide"

I'd be p.issing myself in the courtroom
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby GOAT » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:34 am

Homebooby wrote:
GOAT wrote:
oasis - definately maybe
queen - innuendo

and overlook somewhere in time while you are at it...that's quite controversial amongst my group of friends. These are all Smith freaks and see that as his pinnacle. Personally I think Bruce lost it a little bit on that one and I am not too keen on the production.

Big fan of Powerslave, huge fan of seventh son, although the singles have bred contempt over the year. Love Infinite Dreams, the Prophecy and Only the Good though.

Piece of Mind is an overlooked classic sandwiched between 2 giants.  You cannot argue with Nicko's opening to that record though, still fecking awesome. Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Trooper and Still Life, worthy of a knighthood in themselves surely :)

Ahhh, those were the days when your heroes could prance around with long hair, wearing spandex and it was considered dangerous  :D

Alexander the Greats a fantastic song on Somewhere in Time but the albums a bit repetitive for me, I still enjoy it though not as much as the others I stated

A Matter of Life and Death, Brave New World and Dance of Death are pretty good albums as well, still doesn't come close to the old stuff but they are better than Fear of the Dark, No Prayer for the Dying, X Factor and Virtual XI, Adrian Smith and Bruce came back and it completely brought them back to life

Adrian Smith especially was a big loss to Maiden, they went downhill after he went
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Homebooby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:37 am

GOAT wrote:
Homebooby wrote:

:laugh: That is brilliant mate cheers for that, f.ucking hilarious

Nutters they are, sounds nothing like "do it" or "try suicide"

I'd be p.issing myself in the courtroom

I am sure that I have the full english so to speak on video somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out.

This was great though. There was an interview with Glen Benton just around the time that Deicide were bringing out their 2nd album, this guy is stood in a corridor, head onto the camera, newly inverted cross burnt into his forehead and the guy does not blink once in minutes....all the while confirming that he is possessed by Satan.

Awesome stuff.
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:40 am

GOAT wrote:
Homebooby wrote:
GOAT wrote:
oasis - definately maybe
queen - innuendo

Alexander the Greats a fantastic song on Somewhere in Time but the albums a bit repetitive for me, I still enjoy it though not as much as the others I stated

A Matter of Life and Death, Brave New World and Dance of Death are pretty good albums as well, still doesn't come close to the old stuff but they are better than Fear of the Dark, No Prayer for the Dying, X Factor and Virtual XI, Adrian Smith and Bruce came back and it completely brought them back to life

Adrian Smith especially was a big loss to Maiden, they went downhill after he went

That's the one that all my mates quote, but I am not v. big on the album. I always loved Reach Out that was the b'side to Stranger in a Strange Land...Smithy vocal, quality.

Band deffo lost their way, after 7th Son....never really liked anything else that they have done.

Never ever understood why fans love Fear of the Dark so much as a song....and year by year I grow increasingly irritated by the simplicity of their choruses - Song title repeat X 4....come on guys.
Homebooby

Postby GOAT » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:46 am

Homebooby wrote:
GOAT wrote:
Homebooby wrote:
GOAT wrote:
oasis - definately maybe
queen - innuendo

That's the one that all my mates quote, but I am not v. big on the album. I always loved Reach Out that was the b'side to Stranger in a Strange Land...Smithy vocal, quality.

Band deffo lost their way, after 7th Son....never really liked anything else that they have done.

Never ever understood why fans love Fear of the Dark so much as a song....and year by year I grow increasingly irritated by the simplicity of their choruses - Song title repeat X 4....come on guys.

Yeah that's what does my head in about Somewhere in time, they just repeat the song title over and over on most of the songs. The music is great though at times

Fear of the Dark is a really poor album, probably one of my least fav of the lot, not too hot on the title song either but it's the best one

They'll never find the magic of the first 7 albums again that's for sure
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby GYBS » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:01 am

Yeah agree Effes - George Micheal Older is a good album
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum