The last 8 - My look at the business end..

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:03 pm

so its the last 8.

the meaty end of the tournament has arrived. all the chess games the prodding and experimenting, the moaning and the outrageous decisions...the luck. the sublime,the great goals. credit to that new ball.  all water under the bridge now.

2 days without football is a LONG time..let battle commence!

ive made a list of my top players in germany at the moment. ive picked 3 from each quarter finalist, with one of them being the star performer. not wholly representative, just my own humble favourites. and after, a brief look at the potential qualifiers... and the possibilities  :)

argentina: RODRIGUEZ ** (riquelme/crespo)
brazil: KAKA  **(ronaldo/lucio)
germany: KLOSE  **(lahm/frings)
england: J. COLE  **(gerrard/a.cole)
italy: CANNAVARO  **(totti/buffon)
france: RIBERY  **(zidane/abidal)
portugal: MANICHE  **(figo/miguel)
ukraine: GUSEV  **(voronin/tymoschuk)

the second round with perhaps the exception of argentina v mexico and maybe the portugal v holland game were dour tense, unentertaining affairs, with very little ground given. understandably.  and of course the anxiety was enhanced by some poor refereeing.... i can hear many chants aimed in mr poll's direction next season. i feel a bit sorry for him, only a bit though. but i'll still 'av a chuckle when i hear the odd banter such as .." they call him treble yellow"...or, " look at the cards..look how they shine for you"....etc etc. sorry graham, its all good fun..for us!!    :;):

anyway. today, the world cup starts in earnest.

germany v argentina  could easily grace a final. a shame its come early really. titanic teutonic triumph, midfield stalemate? or will the germans finally be tested and caught out..stage left, senor Messi...  **ARG.

italy v ukraine  not one to set your blood thumping, but the italians seem to have lady luck looking on. though you'd never guess.. **ITA.

england v portugal  another media circus haunts what could be a classic match. sven the warrior! (ps.. at some stage use crouch sven).  **ENG. (just...)

brazil v france  like italy, france seem to be just scrawping through with plenty in reserve. however ronaldhinho is about to stand up and be counted. oh and did someone mention 'fat ron' ?   **BRA.

there havnt really been many upsets so far and i dont see many from here on in. the form book is looking as though it is running as you'd expect. oh and forget the south americans in europe arguement. its long dead.

ARGENTINA  (my pre-tournament bet) may seem a bit twitchy and possibly peaked sooner than necessary. however they have played some outstanding football overall. cambiasso or rodriguez for goal of the competition so far btw.  and they have a subs bench most teams would have as a starting 11, if they are lucky.

BRAZIL  hmm...ominously appear to have clicked into (nearly) top gear just at the right time. they should have to beat france (possibly england, then ?? argentina/germany or italy. sorry mr blokhin!) to win it. can makelele deal with ronaldinho AND kaka? ..i can hear odds being slashed to the rhythm of the samba as we speak...

GERMANY done exceptionally well so far....hang on, they've only really taken sweden out who have any sum of threat. but schweinsteiger,lahm, frings and klose make them entertaining. still, the 12th man and all that...dont bet against them pushing juan roman et al. all the way in berlin...but they wont have enough in the end.

ITALY  best national anthem by a mile! i can only presume i'll get the chance to hear it at least once more..defensively even without nesta, the italians look pretty much like a brick wall. and its going to take more than a distant-dreamy pound-sign eyed shevchenko to demolish it. yet. btw sad news concerning perotta..

FRANCE  a lot of shrugging and prayer gesturing, along with flapping of cheeks has gone on.. hold on a bit, ive done italy?
seriously, the french have discovered a bit of form at exactly the right time. i thought spain would take them apart..step up monsieur Ribery ( a kind of, GN lookalike that can play a bit) but like argentina, id reckon brazil to have the depth to succeed.

UKRAINE  not impressed the other night. but im sure that had more to do with the impotent swiss team more than anything.
mind you, they were absolutely raped by spain. and i find it very difficult to see them past italy. surprised they done this well with only 3 or 4 decent players. now watch AS  show me up!  :D

PORTUGAL  well, apart from having half a team either suspended, yellow carded, injured or just plain grumpy faced, but should have been out!.. they always seem to be in the final knockings when it comes to these compo's. the nearest you'd get to samba style outside south america's soil. and they look(ed) a good shout until poor ivanov did his best.  big phil is the word..not this time jose. meet mr gerrard, again!

and that leaves...

ENGLAND  re: france/italy and brazil. in other words, start slow, get through, go go GO!   we hope!.. what can you say? its only to be hoped that england have been running on some kind of energy efficient fuel til now. and are ready to pump up the volume!  hargreaves looks to be the best bet holding. but 'fwank' where are you?...still we can all dream....

what can be said is, the big players. the 5 star shoot-out card men, you know, the shiny ones...
havnt as yet featured.

all the 8 sides have one. and there is little point doing another list.. but perhaps with the exception of zidane and ronaldo. the other luminaries of the world cup are as yet, to unfold.
for the sake of what i consider to be a great world cup thus far, there must now be a time for the likes of... oh to hell with it,

henry,ballack,ronaldhino,figo,shevchenko,gerrard,riquelme and totti ALL to come to the fore.

lets hope so. for if the big guns start to fire, it could well end up becoming one of the best world cups ever!    :buttrock 

(btw klose would be my pick for liverpool over kuyt, but hey)
Last edited by red37 on Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:21 pm

Good post, mate!

For the sake of debate, I do have a few minor quibbles with some of your 'top players' for the remaining 8:

Brazil: Lucio?  Not convinced he's been anything special.  I'd be inclined to have Ze Roberto there instead.

Italy: Penalty aside, Totti has done very little besides be injured and take impotent shots from distance.  The Italian Frank Lampard perhaps?  He may yet step up but I'd have Pirlo in ahead of him as a key performer for the Azuri so far.

France: Much as I detest him from his Arsenal days, Vieira has had a couple of MOTM performances in France's last two games (three if you count his 'never-spotted-so-it-was-not-technically-disallowed-though-it-still-crossed-the-line' (winning) goal against the South Koreans.  He's got to be in there.

Otherwise, good shouts!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:24 pm

Tevez starts for argies today people, 9/1 first goal with william hill. massive price. get on
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:30 pm

Two players have stood out for me in the WC Luca Tony(Italy) and Ghalid Boularous(Holland), I would love these two players at Liverpool, Boularous would be emense in our defence  :cool:
And Luca Tony cause not only is he exremely gorgeus :love: he is a cracking centre forward.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:48 pm

Luca Toni has about a 70 million contract though, top goalscorer by loads in italy, but he is a great player, even tho hes yet to score
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:57 pm

Ghalid Boularous impressed me immensely too. Always seems he has plenty of time on the ball. Reads the game well and can deliver that killer tackle, as Ronaldo will remember :lookaround
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:25 pm

:bump   argentina!

oh well what do i know!   well done germany....

good scrap at the end though  :)

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Mikz » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:23 pm

I cant believe he took Riquelme off with 20 minutes left? Argentina without a leader are like a ship all at sea. Credit to the Germans , if any team has surprised me -its been them.
Attacking football , good movement and passing all over the pitch.
But some of these substitutions have had me wondering...
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:38 pm

I knew Germany would progress tonight, I've said all through the tournament when people have been right up Argentina's @rses that they are bottlers.  Every tournament (well since '86 anyway) they look great in qualifying and even for their first few games and look a good side, but when the chips are down they don't have the mentality.  Showed again tonight.  And the scenes at the final whistle showed what sore losers they are too.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:13 am

john craig wrote:I knew Germany would progress tonight

Hope you put a bet on then.  ???
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coolsobs » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:12 am

Its a shame argentina went out, they played some really good football and riquelme is a player im really starting to like, hope he doesnt go to the mancs though
coolsobs

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:31 am

john craig wrote:I knew Germany would progress tonight, I've said all through the tournament when people have been right up Argentina's @rses that they are bottlers.  Every tournament (well since '86 anyway) they look great in qualifying and even for their first few games and look a good side, but when the chips are down they don't have the mentality.  Showed again tonight.  And the scenes at the final whistle showed what sore losers they are too.

when the argies beat england in 98, i read an article by alan shearer which said whilst the english were standing in the car park after the match waiting for their coach the argies were already on theirs and they were looking at the english players.
then the argies started bouncing around, rocking their coach singing anti english songs and making lewd gestures to the english players.
shearer said a few of the english hot heads had to be held back from getting on the argie coach.
now today i`m pretty sure one of the german players or officials said something to wind the argies up but there is still no excuse for their behavior.
its alright when they are giving it out but they dont like it when the shoes on the other foot.
there`s a way to win in footy or even sport in general and no one likes losing but there is a way to lose as well.
the argies dont know how to do either.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:58 pm

stoney wrote:
john craig wrote:I knew Germany would progress tonight

Hope you put a bet on then.  ???

Unfortunately Stoney my bet was on them to win it in normal time... ah well.

yckat...  interesting post mate.  If that story relayed by Shearer is accurate then I'm glad the Argies got what they deserved last night.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:07 pm

Mikz wrote:I cant believe he took Riquelme off with 20 minutes left? Argentina without a leader are like a ship all at sea. Credit to the Germans , if any team has surprised me -its been them.
Attacking football , good movement and passing all over the pitch.
But some of these substitutions have had me wondering...

Germany have proved time and time again that you can't write them off, they don't usually set the qualifiers alight and they don't usually set friendlies alight but when it comes to the crunch they are always there. I'm not surprised that Germany are doing well, you only have to look at 2002 to know that you cannot write them off.
48-1119859832

Postby ConnO'var » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:13 pm

The Argies' coach suffered from a major case of chokitis.... Can't believe he took out Riquelme either Mikz...

Just hope Sven doesn't do anything stupid against Portugal tonight.

Please, please drop fatty and get either Owen Hargreaves or Carrick to hold the midfield.
Give Gerrard free reign in midfield. Put Crouch in with Rooney .....

And for Christ SAKES..... tell Beckham to stay on the right where he belongs and not drift all over the fooking place!!!!!

Maybe then we'll be able to ourselves justice.

:D

Brazil may have their hands full with France tonight. Should be a blinder that one.
ConnO'var

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion