Liverpool concerned over torres confederations cup

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:33 am

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is facing an international headache over Spain’s involvement in this summer’s Confederations Cup.

Liverpool are desperate for their £21million striker to sit out the event and enjoy a prolonged rest after a string of injuries hampered his second season at Anfield.

But Torres is a certainty to be picked for the FIFA tournament in June. A Kop source told the News of the World: “The Confederations Cup is the last thing Fernando needs this summer. It means he won’t get the long holiday and rest he needs.

“No one will try to stop Fernando playing in the competition but everyone hopes he’ll make a sensible decision if he’s not fully fit.”

-----------------------------------

If we end up going all the way in Europe Torres will be nakard by the summer comes. As it is he didn't get a proper rest last time what with the Euros and now this.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:37 am

ffs hes just getting over the euros  :no
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:46 am

Someone like Torres will always want to play for his country but I hope after the injuries he has had this season he will have a long think and do what is right. Just look at Michael Owen to see what happens if you come back from injuries too quick with not enough rest in off season.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:45 am

I imagine it will be 4 games, with Torres being subbed out early in 2 of them. The other teams in Spain's group are New Zealand, South Africa, and Iraq. Sounds like a good tournament for Bojan and/or a fairwell tour for Raul.
JoeTerp

Postby Big Niall » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:05 pm

what's the point in this stupid competition. what kid dreams of winning the confederation cup?

It's a pointless money racket competition and damaging to the players. no matter how much money they get paid, they are still athletes that need rest.

FIFA should be ashamed.

torres should pull out of it and respect who pays his wages. the main international competitions are one thing but this thing is pathetic.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:33 pm

I think he will pull out , a waste of time and he will surely play with 2nd stringers
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:37 pm

It's becasue of silly things like this that big players sometimes underperform when it comes to the main tournaments. Domestic seasons are long enough for the top players who are no doubt involved in European competiton too.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion