Gerard houllier interview

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:42 am

12 Aug 2005
GERARD HOULLIER INTERVIEW 

Gerard Houllier competed in the Champions League in four out of the five seasons he was in sole charge of Liverpool. Houllier gives Sue McCann his Top 4 predictions for the new Barclays Premiership season.

"I expect it to be a hard and close fought battle between Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester Utd. Chelsea had an excellent goalkeeper last season whereas the other three teams at times had blips in their goalkeeping area. Chelsea were outstanding last season but it won't be as easy for them this season."

Arsenal

"You can't say that Patrick Vieira won't be missed, obviously he will be, but a good team will overcome that. Arsene thinks he has enough. Maybe he needs a bit more power in some areas of his team but Arsene is quite cute and he knows what he has got with Flamini, Fabregas and Gilberto's talents. If you look at the Arsenal team the majority of players are under 25 so they need time to mature and develop. They finished last season with 83 points and in other seasons you would be Champions with that."

Chelsea

"They have got two teams so Jose Mourinho will need to be successful at managing the patience of the impatient players and make them understand that contribution to success is more important. The whole group is impressive because they have got practically all areas covered by two International players. They are fully equipped to compete on all fronts really. It's important to have a link and communication with the players and I think the Chelsea players like Jose a lot and enjoy his training."

Liverpool

"I think some of the new Liverpool players last season were a bit surprised by the Premiership and they seemed to be able to express themselves and blossom more in the Champions League. They should be better equipped this season and will know Wigan won't be an easy trip."

Man Utd

"A good team always bounces back. Alex's team is a bit like Arsene Wenger's team.... in a transitional period. He's got some very good young players with Rooney, Ronaldo, Smith, Fletcher. There's a lot of youngsters coming up again and the team is gradually changing plus they have added Van der Saar who is a great addition. Don't forget Man Utd were much better in the second part of last season. I expect this team to grow and be very successful under Alex."

Surprise package

"I am impressed by Martin Jol and Tottenham. They have a talented young side, Jol has bought well and they have consistency. They are a realistic challenger for a European place. I'm still impressed though with David Moyes and his sides achievements last season. They were top class and Moyes is a Manager to watch again this season."

anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion