Football corrupting children - Is this guy for real?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:38 pm

did anybody read this in the papers over the weekend? I couldn't believe it.

....................................................................................

Football should only be shown on TV after 9pm because of the bad example it sets to children, a leading head teacher has said.

Verbal abuse, cheating and violence among players are commonplace, Martin Ward, deputy leader of the Secondary Heads Association claimed.

He said copycat behaviour by pupils made teaching "infinitely more difficult".

Mr Ward also called for heads working in difficult schools to be paid more.

He wants them to get salaries of up to £150,000.

Loss of 'moral authority'

He told the SHA's annual conference in Brighton that broadcasters lose their "moral authority" when showing footballers' bad behaviour before the 9pm 'watershed' - after which programmes of a more violent or sexual nature, or containing swearing, are permitted.

Mr Ward said: "Violence, verbal abuse, foul language, cheating and defiance of authority occur sometimes in schools."

"They occur much more frequently outside school and, in particular, in professional football, often without the player even being cautioned."

If football is not shown only after 9pm, then "not at all" would be better, Mr Ward argued.

Parental responsibilities

Salaries of £150,000 for head teachers dealing with the most "challenging" schools should be "commonplace" he said. The current maximum in England is £120,000.

Last week Tony Blair and Education Secretary Ruth Kelly demanded more parental involvement in running schools.

Agreements should be signed between them and head teachers, stating what pupils are entitled to, they said.

But Mr Ward argued that there should be as much emphasis on the "responsibilities of parents to the school" as "the responsibilities of the schools towards parents".

'Whitehall milkman'

Schools are being overburdened with initiatives, with education "being kicked around like a political football", he warned.

In particular, plans for random drug-testing and on-the-spot penalties for truancy are criticised.

Mr Ward said: "The school milk delivery may have been abolished by Margaret Thatcher, but the Whitehall milkman still delivers these policies, almost daily, to the school doorstep.

"Fortunately, most schools have had the good sense to ignore many of them and, like milk on the doorstep, if you leave it long enough, it eventually goes off."

Addressing the SHA conference on Friday, Ms Kelly promised to deal with the 'initiative-isers' within the Department for Education and Skills

....................................................................................

Is this bloke for real? Actually, scrap that because it seems he's deadly serious. Show live footy after 9pm? It's totally unworkable, and it's bad enough sitting in a freezing cold Anfield on a Saturday afternoon, let alone a freezing cold mid-week winter night with a 9pm kick off! Madness! I bet he'd moan even more if his pupils were going to school half asleep having been up watching a football match until after 11pm the night before.

Yes I agree that the players have responsibilities to youngsters because they are role models. But this suggestion is nothing short of pathetic.

He also makes the suggestion that head teachers in difficult schools should be paid more - I'm sure that will go down well. I real incentive for head teachers to combat bad behaviour in their schools - they get paid less. Yeah right.

When it comes to dicouraging bad language in youngsters, the responsibility lies mainly with the parents, as I'm sure those of you with kids would agree.  ???

Thoughts please?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:48 pm

i just read that mikey, and i gotta say ts pants.
basically the techers cant do their job, they tried rining parents but it didnt work, so now they can blame the media.
when will they realise that there are actually swear words used in things like music as well...lol

politicians should all be shot...fact
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:07 pm

dawson99 wrote:politicians should all be shot...fact

agreed :D  :laugh:  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby zarababe » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:32 pm

.. roll models who happen to be low lifes with grt sporting skills need a lesson in the responsibility they have, in the way they behave and act on and off the pitch.. foul and abusive behaviour is easily mimicked..

....anti-social behaviour and other deviant behaviour has its roots elsewhere, but positive and exemplary sporting role models can make a difference in correcting such attitudes and behaviour... especially where such "heroes" are idolised..

...any way some of the language visibly being used on the pitch is disgraceful..
Last edited by zarababe on Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:05 am

what a d1pstick, probably some nerd teacher who knows ****** all about football.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:18 am

My wifes a tacher and whilst it may be OK for people on here to criticise from the position of NEVER having taught its all too easy to lose the message of what he actually is saying in the article.

I'm sure all of us would condemn the recent alleged incidents of gang rape , drink driving , assaults on minors, spitting, physical violence and general thuggery portrayed by overpaid prima donna's who puport to be role models.

Swearing may be common place in your vocabulary but with Sky's coverage with camera's and mics everywhere its inevitable that children are hearing their "hero's" bad language and as there has always been an element of kids copying their sporting heroes then its ineviatable that kids will come out woth the same thing.

I'm not so much concerned about the behaviour of players ON the pitch but OFF it to be honest.

As an aside did you know that "Foul and Abusive Language" is a red card offence ?  ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:38 am

Dalglish wrote:As an aside did you know that "Foul and Abusive Language" is a red card offence ?  ???

no one enforces it though. The ref is constantly told to ****** off and they barely even give a yellow let alone a red.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ianwillo » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:19 pm

no one enforces it though. The ref is constantly told to ****** off and they barely even give a yellow let alone a red.

I'm not so much concerned about the behaviour of players ON the pitch but OFF it to be honest.

These are both fair comments.  But it is the responsability of the players themselves.  Lets be honest, if a referee booked a player for swearing the game would be abandoned after 25 mins.

Also, the comment about players off the pitch, how often does a Newcastle player crash a Ferrari crash into a lampost!!!!!!

And lets be honest have any of you parents ever swore in front of ya kids???
ianwillo

Postby Judge » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:54 pm

never swear in front of my kids, and i'll fuc'king prove it :D

only joking, i dont try to swear in front of them, but its difficult when LFC are 1 nil down
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion