Bóllocks or useful science - Crowd neutralization

Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Bóllocks or useful science - Crowd neutralization

1) Those bástards in London do not know how to compensate our superiority in songs, this must be a device to fúck us
17%
2) Interesting device if true, it's a good way to combat racist chants
50%
3) Interesting device, but I don't think it will work whatsoever
No votes
4) Interesting device, but I don't think it's right to use it, no matter the good initial intentions.
33%

Total votes : 6

Postby Sabre » Tue May 16, 2006 7:05 pm

[quote="Hooligan chants silenced by delayed echoes"]
Hooligan chants silenced by delayed echoes
Football stadiums could use a new sound system that neutralises abusive or racist chants with a carefully timed echo. The echoes trip up efforts to synchronise a chant, neutralising an unwelcome message without drowning out the overall roar of a crowd.

To chant in time a person must keep track of several different sound sources around them.

During the tests of the prototype echo system, volunteers were surrounded by loudspeakers that simulated the sound of a chanting crowd and were asked join in. However one speaker replayed the crowds chant with a short delay. When the delay was greater than 200 milliseconds the volunteers found it too difficult to chant coherently. Increasing the delay made it even more confusing.

Any real implementation would need to be closely monitored. "If you frustrate an audience by making it impossible to chant, you need to be very careful how you channel their frustration," explains Sander van Wijngaarden, from the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research in Delft. "If they stop chanting but start rioting out of frustration, then you're worse off."

Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 16, 2006 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:56 pm

It's just a bandaid over a broken bone, imho. Wouldn't it be better to attack the causes of racism, rather than just pretend it's not there. Just because some w@nker can't hear the other w@ankers behind him, it's not going to stop him throwing a fascist salute. I'd rather have people at the match employed to find and shop the racists so that we can actually get rid of it.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed May 17, 2006 3:20 pm

I cannot agree more the ace1983, that's exactly what I thought. Plus, it would be perfect for some Spaniard politics :censored:, who preffer to ignore the problem as if there wasn't any, rather than to attack it.

Furthermore, I can think of worse uses of this technologies, I'm sure Bush would happily use it to shut up some critics when he speaks!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat May 20, 2006 2:58 am

What a crackpot theory.

What next? Gags?

Eject the racists rather than mute the fans.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:18 am

I dont think that its trying to stop racism for the people within the stadium, its trying to cut it out for the majority of the people watching, being people watching the tv.  If your own fans are making racist chants, what kind of rolemodels are they setting for up-and-coming fans? It would probably be better if it just sounded like noise wouldnt it?
It could be a bit like the streakers, if you dont point the camera at them and they dont go on tv, maybe they would be less likely to do it.

Overall i think that it would be useful, but used sparingly. I always sing along when YNWA is sung during games and it would be a shame if you couldnt hear iconic chants such as that.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football Related Polls