Andy Carroll signs for West Ham

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 am

7_Kewell wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:I agree that he's improved a little, but our best player??  I must have been watching a different team

Must be one of them?
Who do you think has played better?

Suarez, Gerrard, Kelly...

over the past 8 weeks?
suarez is starting to find his form again but he struggled after his ban and gerrard had struggled up until the derby as well.
carroll has been as impressive as anyone probably since christmas (apart from skrtel of course who is having a great season, i dont think there`s a better defender in the country at the moment).
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:46 am

D___C wrote:
devaney wrote:So why did Spurs sell him to a bunch of hoofers for relatively little money?

Because Spurs aspire to challenge with the teams at the top, just as we did when we offloaded him for Torres.

Given that Peter Crouch is a better player than Andy Carroll, and we offloaded him because we aspired to be better, why have we gone backwards in terms of quality?

we didnt offload crouch to aspire to be better, crouch asked to leave, we didnt want him to go, he wrote a big 2 page article in the echo explaining his reasons for leaving (mainly gerrard and torres had formed a brilliant partnership and at his age he couldnt afford to sit on the bench, he accepted they were better players than him and if he was the manager he would have played those 2 and benched himself too) he thanked the liverpool fans for the support he recieved especially when he first arrived and didnt score for ages, he also said that where ever he went he wouldnt play for a better club than liverpool.
i`d say crouch and carroll are at about the same level at the moment but carroll has plenty of improving to do because he`s still young, maybe i`d have carroll slightly ahead, crouch is effective for stoke but if you put carroll in that stoke side i think he`d be more effective than crouch.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby heimdall » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:11 am

Tell me if Carroll is playing so well and is so wonderful for us where are the goals, where are the assist? What criteria are you measuring his worth by? To suggest he has played the best in our team since Xmas is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard and I suspect you are either on a wind-up or know sod all about football.
Crouch is twice the footballer Carroll will ever be and to be honest I don't rate Crouch that highly!
heimdall

Postby D___C » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:21 am

Crouch may have asked to leave, but the reason he left is because he wasnt getting a game as we aspired to be better. We stepped up a level with Torres. We have since gone right back to a level below Crouch.

------------2.Torres
-----1.Crouch
----------------3.Carroll

We have done similar with Murphy, we let him go because we asprired to be better. We stepped up a level with Alonso, and have since shot back down to below Murphy.

------------2.Alonso
----1.Murphy
----------------3.Adam

Central midfield and center forward are two massive positions, both weaknesses in our team right now, and in the past 8 years we have stepped up one level, and then dropped two levels. We are sat 7th in the league which is about right.
D___C

Postby D___C » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 am

heimdall wrote:Crouch is twice the footballer Carroll will ever be and to be honest I don't rate Crouch that highly!

Which is why us dropping two levels in quality makes it all the more galling. We have spent fortunes and got worse.

I could do a league graph but i aint ars'ed. We all know the stats.. we sit 7th and look average beyond belief.
D___C

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 am

heimdall wrote:Tell me if Carroll is playing so well and is so wonderful for us where are the goals, where are the assist? What criteria are you measuring his worth by? To suggest he has played the best in our team since Xmas is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard and I suspect you are either on a wind-up or know sod all about football.
Crouch is twice the footballer Carroll will ever be and to be honest I don't rate Crouch that highly!

those assist stats are useless really because you are relying on another player putting the ball away for them to count, look at the ball carroll put into suarez against stoke, it was a great chance but suarez couldnt take it down on his chest and ended up handling it, that should have been a goal, it was a similar story in the derby, he flicked a header on that suarez ran onto but he couldnt put away and in the second half carroll played a clever ball that put suarez clean through but he tried an ambitious shot with the outside of his foot and the chance was wasted, even in the game against united in the cup, about a minute after he set kuyt up to score the winner carroll had a header that hit the bar and dropped to kuyt but somehow he missed when it was easier to score.
carroll has been playing well since the bolton game where he set bellamy up for the goal, he then scored against wolves, scored against oldham even though he was only on the pitch 5 minutes, he was MoM against united in the cup having a role to play in both goals, he was then MoM against brighton scoring one and setting one up for suarez and could have easily had a couple of assists in the derby and one against stoke.
our worst performances since christmas tend to be the games he didnt start like united away and sunderland away.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kukilon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:27 am

Do we have to discuss Crouch in this thread since it annoys me even more to know that the player type we looked for when we signed Andy could be had for so much less and at the same time also a better player.

Andy has done better since christmas but he will have to do much more to win me over that's for sure.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:48 am

D___C wrote:
heimdall wrote:Crouch is twice the footballer Carroll will ever be and to be honest I don't rate Crouch that highly!

Which is why us dropping two levels in quality makes it all the more galling. We have spent fortunes and got worse.

I could do a league graph but i aint ars'ed. We all know the stats.. we sit 7th and look average beyond belief.

Oh do a graph.
PleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasePLEASE DO A GRAPH!!!
:love:
Thommo's perm

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:47 am

crouch is cack and was equally as inconsistent as andy at 23.he was forever being shipped on loan to other clubs.
carroll will do fine once we sign another striker and the pressure eases on him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:57 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:
D___C wrote:

Oh do a graph.
PleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasePLEASE DO A GRAPH!!!
:love:

:laugh:
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:10 pm

D___C wrote:

Not only is a 35 million pound price tag burden enough on the lads shoulders - but are you now suggesting we're a 7th just because of Carroll?

Personally, I think he's done 'good' and no more, he hasn't been as bad as you have suggested and equally he hasn't been as good as some may have alluded. But to be fair to him he has shown improvement and if he continues to get a good run of games under his belt, find a bit of consistency and understanding among his team mates and in general head the way he has been heading recently, I'll be happy. Obviously, this may not be approved by your own high standards but that's what football is all about - opinions. It just so happens your's is on repeat 24/7 and runs the risk of sounding like a broken record with an agenda on it's label.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:10 pm

0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Is that a picture of Dirk ?!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby D___C » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Kukilon wrote:Do we have to discuss Crouch in this thread since it annoys me even more to know that the player type we looked for when we signed Andy could be had for so much less and at the same time also a better player.

To compare now with what we had illustrates our nosedive.

Average players get average results.

Our last two games.. its been Gerrard and Suarez (and a great goal from Downing)... there aint much else.
D___C

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:27 pm

D___C wrote:
Kukilon wrote:Do we have to discuss Crouch in this thread since it annoys me even more to know that the player type we looked for when we signed Andy could be had for so much less and at the same time also a better player.

To compare now with what we had illustrates our nosedive.

Average players get average results.

Our last two games.. its been Gerrard and Suarez (and a great goal from Downing)... there aint much else.

Yes we played 2 against 11 in the derby. No wonder Moyes didnt know how to handle us
We kidded stoke because we had 3 players against them. Pulis said that extra man was what swung it.

By the way what is an "average" result?
???
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion