Stevie wants to stay

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:29 am

I know it's another SG thread but it's possitive so I thought I'd post this article from teamtalk.com:

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has told manager Rafael Benitez he wants to stay at Anfield.

There has been speculation about the future of the 24-year-old midfielder, who has made it clear he wants to play for a club capable of challenging for top honours.

Benitez wants Gerrard to achieve his goals at Liverpool and would be happy for the England player to stay at Anfield for 10 years.

He has asked for Gerrard's help as he tries to improve the Liverpool squad.

Benitez told The People: "I said to Steven that I was sure he wanted to stay here - and he said 'I do'. I then said to him 'look, if you want to win titles, you want medals and you want Liverpool to have these things then I am going to need your help'.

"I really think he wants to stay so now what we must do is make the squad stronger for him.

"We need to build for the future and hopefully with Gerrard here we can achieve what we want. What I do know is that we would not be better without him because he is so important to us.

"We want him to stay here for 10 years winning titles. He makes the difference for us, as we have seen in recent games.

"We need to get a lot of good players around Stevie. I want him to score 12 or 15 goals a season, not six or seven, because he has the potential to do that.

"Really what Steven wants is to win with this club and we will try because with him it will be easier."
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:04 am

..Rick Parry and I ( :D ) are also fed-up of the constant speculation... lets get on with it and not stop at every juncture.. when things dip a bit... and ask that most annoying question.. AGAIN !!!
Last edited by zarababe on Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:20 am

Huh ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:28 am

:p

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:59 am

too ealry for the ale innit zara? :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:01 pm

also this on lfc.tv:

Rafael Benitez has delivered the news all Liverpool fans want to hear - Steven Gerrard wants to stay at Anfield and win trophies with the club he grew up supporting. 
Speculation has been rife in the media that Gerrard will leave Anfield next summer but Benitez spoke to his captain during the club's Christmas lunch last week and was assured that the player has no intention of leaving.

"I said to Steven that I was sure he wanted to stay here - and he said, 'I do'. I then said to him, 'Look, if you want to win titles, you want medals and you want Liverpool to have these things then I am going to need your help.'

"I really think he wants to stay so now what we must do is make the squad stronger for him. If you want to win games you need big players - but if you want to win titles then you need a big squad.
"We are working now with the idea of a creating a big squad with a strong mentality. If we do that and keep our best players like Gerrard and Xabi Alonso, then we can win games and titles. We need to build for the future and hopefully with Gerrard here we can achieve what we want. What I do know is that we wouldn't be better without him because he is so important to us. We want him to stay here for 10 years winning titles. He makes the difference for us, as we have seen in recent games.

"We created two or three clear opportunities against Olympiakos and Portsmouth but at the end we needed Gerrard scoring the goals and that shows how important he is to us. We need to get a lot of good players around Stevie. I want him to score 12 or 15 goals a season, not six or seven, because he has the potential to do that.
"What Steven wants is to win with this club and we will try because with him it will be easier. But he is not the only player who wants to win, all the players here want to win titles."
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:09 pm

LFC #1 wrote:too ealry for the ale innit zara? :D

.. I'm T-total scott, though may not always sound it  :D

.. but I am truly fed-up of all the speculation surrounding SG.. it's as if we are waiting everygame.. to ask that question again .. and again.. not a swipe at aynone on here at all... rather frustration at the issue..

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:16 pm

agree zara, the constant speculation around him must be a bit unsettling on the lads since he is our captain.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:40 pm

I agree with what you guys are saying, the post was possitive and thats why I created it, it wasn't just another 'is gerrard goin to leave' thread!
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:50 pm

see....much ado about nothing.

He is staying becos we are gonna win the champions league THIS SEASON.

He knows it.

I know it.

You guys will know it in May  :D

Arsenal, Chelsea & manure have to be on crack if they think gerrard is gonna go to their club. He will stay with us or leave for europe. He will not play for another english club. He has too much respect for us.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:52 pm

:laugh: :laugh:
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:34 pm

The_Rock wrote:see....much ado about nothing.

He is staying becos we are gonna win the champions league THIS SEASON.

He knows it.

I know it.

You guys will know it in May  :D

Arsenal, Chelsea & manure have to be on crack if they think gerrard is gonna go to their club. He will stay with us or leave for europe. He will not play for another english club. He has too much respect for us.

You have to love The Rock's optimism.  :)
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby zarababe » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:36 pm

.. yeh "solid" :D

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:42 pm

Why not sign a one yr extension then,

I remember Owen saying all that "want to stay here stuff".

I think he'll go in Summer.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:45 pm

He still has a few more years in his contract.... No need for an extention if you ask me.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion