Trent Alexander-Arnold official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:53 pm

kazza » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:03 am wrote:Clyne was decent defensively but poor in an attacking sense. He slowed down play so much and we cannot truly counter attack with him in the team and that was when he was at his best, when he played this year he seemed even slower. I have no problem with him being on loan to look for a permanent club.

Not sure I agree entirely with that, granted Clyne isn't the greatest in the ball but is Gomez? Look at some of those lung busting runs he made against United, does Milner do that from RB? Or will Fabinho?
I'm not even 100% convinced by Trent, after Clynes performance against United I thought there was a decent argument to keep him in the side.
What's done is done and we'll just have to get on with it but I do find it strange that we are reducing the size of our squad at a time when we are on the verge of our first league title in 30 years. Title run ins are notoriously attritional, if we go far in the CL again we are going to be stretched to our limit. We only just staggered over the line to get top 4 last year and the year before that because getting to the CL/EL finals pretty much wiped us out. Imagine adding a title challenge to that?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:23 pm

Agreed with yakka, strange time to be reducing the squad size. I also don't understand why Klopp wasn't giving Clyne more chances this season. He's a steady eddy that can do a good job, and IMO not as bad going forward as some make it out to be. Perfect back-up RB in my book. I thought he wasn't given a chance because he wasn't fit enough yet but obviously that wasn't the case.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:17 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:53 pm wrote:
kazza » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:03 am wrote:Clyne was decent defensively but poor in an attacking sense. He slowed down play so much and we cannot truly counter attack with him in the team and that was when he was at his best, when he played this year he seemed even slower. I have no problem with him being on loan to look for a permanent club.

Not sure I agree entirely with that, granted Clyne isn't the greatest in the ball but is Gomez? Look at some of those lung busting runs he made against United, does Milner do that from RB? Or will Fabinho?
I'm not even 100% convinced by Trent, after Clynes performance against United I thought there was a decent argument to keep him in the side.
What's done is done and we'll just have to get on with it but I do find it strange that we are reducing the size of our squad at a time when we are on the verge of our first league title in 30 years. Title run ins are notoriously attritional, if we go far in the CL again we are going to be stretched to our limit. We only just staggered over the line to get top 4 last year and the year before that because getting to the CL/EL finals pretty much wiped us out. Imagine adding a title challenge to that?

Need to add a versatile defender this month that can play CB/RB
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:57 pm

We already have a couple of them - Gomez and Fabinho
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:00 pm

He did run up the wing but then ended it with nothing he can’t deliver anything in the final third - Clyne was 4th choice

We have already added players to last years CL run - maybe try a bit of positivity for a change
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:34 am

A month  :down:

Now that Arnold has suffered an injury this was always going to come up for discussion. Clyne is an established R.B and it was silly imo to let him go on loan while we are in the middle of a title challenge. He might not be perfect in all areas of his game but we are far stronger with him at R.B than either Milner or Fabinho. The squad for the season was chosen last summer so that's what we should have finished out with imo unless we were signing a replacement. It would be also tough on the lad if we do win the league as he is 1 appearance short of getting a medal.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:02 pm

We need to use this window to procure a talented and proficient RB ,if any team in the top four 'much less one with aspirations to win a title; suffers this kind of blow then they buy ,its as simple as that. It would be complete madness if we allow ourselves to struggle when we could easily solve the problem  in this window ,just too much riding on this season to just make do by playing players out of position.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:11 pm

Why do we need to waste money on a RB ?

Gomez is back next week , then you add in Milner and Fabinho plus the young lad Camacho - we are covered at Right back , we have managed to survive all this time when TAA has been injured before - why the sudden need to panic.

City didn’t panic and buy a left back when Mendy got injured - they used their squad which is what Klopp is going to do -we are ok at Right Back
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:19 pm

I initially thought we’d go out and buy both a LB and RB this summer but now I’m not so sure. I think we’ll buy a LB but I think next season Klopp will see Milner as the backup to Trent. We have plenty of midfield options so I don’t see it as an issue. I can see Hoever being promoted to train full time with the first time from pre-season with him then taking over from Milner from the 2020/2021 after a season training with the first team squad. Hoever will be 18 and half by then so if all goes well he should be ready to start coming through. Klopp has talked about creating space for youngsters in the squad. That’s exactly what he’s done with Brewster and I can see him doing the same with Hoever.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:29 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:11 pm wrote:Why do we need to waste money on a RB ?

Gomez is back next week , then you add in Milner and Fabinho plus the young lad Camacho - we are covered at Right back , we have managed to survive all this time when TAA has been injured before - why the sudden need to panic.

City didn’t panic and buy a left back when Mendy got injured - they used their squad which is what Klopp is going to do -we are ok at Right Back

Because I f*cking said so Benny,more so I explained 'WHY'in the post directly before your impertinence in questioning me  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Well first of all your post wasn’t really factually correct - as said City didn’t go out and buy a left back when they lost Mendy so your statement about a team with title aspirations going out and buying when injuries happens is not strictly true

So we are short at left back , need support up front and someone to play as a number and you want to waste money on a spot where we have a lot of cover.

I sometimes wonder if people have actually learnt anything from what Klopp does and how he works over the past three years.

As pig catcher says we won’t get another RB - he let one go because we have lots of options - surely that should tell people a story about how he sees the RB area and the talk from the club has been consistent- no signings and certainly not in an area where it’s clear the manager doesn’t seem to have an issue with
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:23 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:51 pm wrote:Well first of all your post wasn’t really factually correct - as said City didn’t go out and buy a left back when they lost Mendy so your statement about a team with title aspirations going out and buying when injuries happens is not strictly true

So we are short at left back , need support up front and someone to play as a number and you want to waste money on a spot where we have a lot of cover.

I sometimes wonder if people have actually learnt anything from what Klopp does and how he works over the past three years.

As pig catcher says we won’t get another RB - he let one go because we have lots of options - surely that should tell people a story about how he sees the RB area and the talk from the club has been consistent- no signings and certainly not in an area where it’s clear the manager doesn’t seem to have an issue with

Man City will sign a LB before the window closes ,his experimentation in throwing Delph there went pear shaped and are the kind of problems you encounter when you play players out of position. If we manage to win the league this season and City fail ,this will be a standout reason why they lost it. I do hope our manager doesn't follow the same route instead of buying much needed cover and throwing in a class recruit in this position.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:00 pm wrote:

He did run up the wing but then ended it with nothing he can’t deliver anything in the final third - Clyne was 4th choice

We have already added players to last years CL run - maybe try a bit of positivity for a change

Actually no one gave him the ball, he made 3 or 4 terrific overlapping runs but each time the player in possession failed to either see him or make use of him. IMO Clyne is a better RB than Gomes or Milner, not sure about Fabinho, haven't seen him play RB yet but he doesn't look the quickest over 5 yards. Clyne could even be better than Trent who is overhyped imo, granted he is young but he often fails to get back goalside and he gives the ball away in some terrible positions.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:19 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:23 pm wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:51 pm wrote:Well first of all your post wasn’t really factually correct - as said City didn’t go out and buy a left back when they lost Mendy so your statement about a team with title aspirations going out and buying when injuries happens is not strictly true

Man City will sign a LB before the window closes ,his experimentation in throwing Delph there went pear shaped and are the kind of problems you encounter when you play players out of position. If we manage to win the league this season and City fail ,this will be a standout reason why they lost it. I do hope our manager doesn't follow the same route instead of buying much needed cover and throwing in a class recruit in this position.

:Oo:

Delph spent most of last season at Left BAck when Mendy got injured , City didnt go out and sign a LB they used Delph  as they romped to the title

If City dont win the title it will be done to losing Fernandinho for those games they lost
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 pm

I'm talking about this season,not last, Delphs mistakes at the back resulted in the City defeat against Leicester, WHY you ask ? He looked genuinely uncomfortable playing at LB .Leicester and Puel  targeted this and acted ruthlessly. If we follow suit teams will target our left side and concentrate their play around our weakest flank. Why should we bare our Achilles heel when we have the option to recruit an authentic LB ?

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY Benny  ? would we give sanction for those glaring limitations to exist so teams can exploit those weaknesses ?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion