Xherdan Shaqiri: Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby johnbarnes » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:07 pm

johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:12 pm

Not a Shaqiri fan but I wasn't a Milner fan before we bought him and now I love him. Any player willing to fight for the shirt will win me over.

£13m is very good business!!
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:33 pm

Welcome Shaq hope you add quality to our side and take us forward.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:36 pm

Really pleased at this for the money hes a guy we wanted from Basel but took a different route, now hes landed here, hopefully with the same regrets and emotions as Salah had.

Pocket rocket really, can duck and dive in and around the box with quick feet. Likes a pop at goal from crazy angles.

May need to reign in a wild horse at times but hopefully hes worth the punt  :buttrock
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:10 pm

He's got that x factor that we lacked on our bench last season, we've finally got someone who can come on and change a game with a moment of brilliance. Saying that I can actually see him getting quite a bit of game time, we have hit the wall two years on the bounce now (we were absolutely out on our feet in Rome) and I can see Jurgen rotating a lot this upcoming campaign.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:58 pm

He caught my eye in the Euros in 2016 when he scored that scissor kick for Switzerland. I thought we should have signed him then. I don't know what Klopps plan is, probably to rotate him a lot in various games, so he should expect to be on the bench for long periods of time. But he can come off the bench and make a real difference.

He could prove to be invaluable though, come the run in at the end of the season when our squad looked so tired and we stumbled over the line for 4th.

He can dribble, quick feet, score goals etc ..I wasn't his biggest fan.

The options klopp now has in Midfield/ Attack are brilliant, and i'm expecting a massive improvement in our performances this season, and hopefully push for the title.

However, we got rid of one magic midget in Coutinho, now we've got a new magic midget!

Hail Shaqiri !  welcome lad.

*(I'm just wondering now that Klopp as signed this guy, that he may not now persue the Fekir deal and is now happy with his squad!??  ??? )
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby killerp » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:30 am

He always provided a threat when we played against him. For 13 mil it's a bargain... Pretty much seals the fate of the fringe players. Won't be any room in that midfield for extended poor performances.
killerp

Postby redshade » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:39 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:10 pm wrote:He's got that x factor that we lacked on our bench last season, we've finally got someone who can come on and change a game with a moment of brilliance. Saying that I can actually see him getting quite a bit of game time, we have hit the wall two years on the bounce now (we were absolutely out on our feet in Rome) and I can see Jurgen rotating a lot this upcoming campaign.

Yup plenty of games for the lads to play in.
Good business from us lets keep going and snap a few more signings.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:39 am

Remember last year during the run in? All the talk was about how tired our players were, in fact there were genuine concerns about wether we were even going to be able to give Madrid a competitive game our players were so out on their feet.
Our style of football is exhilarating to watch but extremely tough on the players so if any team in the division needs a deep squad it's us. IMO exhaustion has cost us 1 if not 2 European trophies over the last 2 seasons and our aim this season must be to try and finish the campaign playing the same type of high intensity football that we do during the first half of the season.
We need to still have our A game when the trophies are getting handed out in May and the key to doing that is rotation rotation rotation.
I can see Xherdan playing a lot of games.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:34 am

I liked him at Basel but he made the wrong move to Munich as it didn’t work out there.

Very flexible and wants the ball, also can hit shots from distance and a good free kick taker. Being small he can duck and dive in tight spaces and also run through from deep, lot of positive attributes.

Other clubs maybe listen to rumours about attitude but Klopp believes our environment is perfect to get the best out of anyone and I agree with that.

Genuinely excited about this signing so hope it works out.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:05 pm

parchpea » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:34 am wrote:I liked him at Basel but he made the wrong move to Munich as it didn’t work out there.

Very flexible and wants the ball, also can hit shots from distance and a good free kick taker. Being small he can duck and dive in tight spaces and also run through from deep, lot of positive attributes.

Other clubs maybe listen to rumours about attitude but Klopp believes our environment is perfect to get the best out of anyone and I agree with that.

Genuinely excited about this signing so hope it works out.

Jurgen worked wonders with Chamberlain who had similar questions about attitude and application hanging over him.
In fact if someone could guarantee that AOC would return to the side exactly where he left off I would say cancel any proposed deals for Fekir as Chamberlain was absolutely on fire just before his injury, he was collecting MoM awards like they were going out of fashion.
Alex arrived as a squad/utility player and turned himself into one of the first names on the teamsheet, where once people questioned his work ethic he was suddenly one of the hardest grafters in the team, people were marvelling at his prodigious reserves of energy. Who's to say Xherdan can't do the same? He has the natural ability to do it.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Not too excited about the signing tbh. Considering the price, his age, his (potential) ability and the fact that he'll mostly serve as back-up make it a good bit of business, I admit. However, I've never liked the guy's attitude for one, the political bullcrap in the World Cup was toally unnecessary for example. Secondly, he really ***** me off when we were interested in him during his Basel days, he basically laughed us off as if he were too good for us. Third, he's never actully been a good bench player. Ask Bayern and Inter.

All in all, I just don't like the guy, but if I'm being fair, for that price it's worth a try. He has some ability, I'm not denying that, so if he can do the job as a back-up player and an impact sub it might end up being a great transfer, you never know.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:08 pm

It's excellent business, he and the Ox will make a great combination. After a luke warm spell at Bayern followed by Stoke this is his last chance to make it big - great motivation: the lad will play his @rse off. It's a win-win situation.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Im delighted we got him. What a great piece of business that was, i think hes a belter of a player can turn a game with one piece of magic  :buttrock
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:52 pm

When he fancies it ,he's arguably one of the hardest players in world football to shift from the ball ,he's physically thrown together like a young Diego and his centre of balance and strength on the ball is eerily similar to that of Maradona. Now for the downside ,he has an attitude problem ,he has an extremely unlikable  persona in the same vein as Zlatan ,he has a tendency to switch off completely and let the game pass him by.

It could prove the best bit of business Liverpool have done when picking up a bargain since Rafa brought in Luis Garcia ,or it could be the worst,only time will tell.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion