Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby aCe' » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:57 pm

We need one top class striker to lead the line instead of Firmino. That has to be the priority imo. We have a system of play that is proven against the stronger sides and one that guarantees us goals. The main issue is our inability to put away the smaller sides. Yes, we have mistakes at the back every now and then but that will always be the case if you go out with a formation trying to score 3 or 4 in every game.

If we can sign the top striker and have Firmino as an understudy for Coutinho, we'll still need a Mane replacement (A..Traore or Pulisic would be ideal).

Outisde these 2 signings, we can probably improve on our GK, LB, RB, and Henderson but I see the attacking signings as more of a priority.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:01 pm

If we are going to continue this obsession with buying AM's I'd much rather we went after the likes of Mahrez or Traore than Oxlade-Chamberlain. Then again, thinking about it, the Mahrez's and Traore's of this world are probably out of our league these days.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:04 pm

aCe' » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:57 pm wrote:We need one top class striker to lead the line instead of Firmino. That has to be the priority imo. We have a system of play that is proven against the stronger sides and one that guarantees us goals. The main issue is our inability to put away the smaller sides. Yes, we have mistakes at the back every now and then but that will always be the case if you go out with a formation trying to score 3 or 4 in every game.

If we can sign the top striker and have Firmino as an understudy for Coutinho, we'll still need a Mane replacement (A..Traore or Pulisic would be ideal).

Outisde these 2 signings, we can probably improve on our GK, LB, RB, and Henderson but I see the attacking signings as more of a priority.

Statistically Ace we've got the best attack in the division and the second worst defence in the top half, I'd argue that bolstering our defence is more of a priority.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:18 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:04 pm wrote:
aCe' » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:57 pm wrote:We need one top class striker to lead the line instead of Firmino. That has to be the priority imo. We have a system of play that is proven against the stronger sides and one that guarantees us goals. The main issue is our inability to put away the smaller sides. Yes, we have mistakes at the back every now and then but that will always be the case if you go out with a formation trying to score 3 or 4 in every game.

Statistically Ace we've got the best attack in the division and the second worst defence in the top half, I'd argue that bolstering our defence is more of a priority.

:nod

Have too agree with Yakka here.

Not saying I wouldn't mind us signing a top shelf attacker or creative midfielder BUT with a fully fit squad we have had few problems going forward. Our problems for far too long now have been rooted in our defensive capabilities, it's time we sorted it out. A bit of a cliche but as the cliche goes "a successful team is built from the back"

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:50 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:04 pm wrote:

For me, Lovren and Matip are amongst the top10 CBs in the league. As a defensive RB, clyne is easily in the top3 in the league. Milner has done alright defensively this season but I agree that replacing him would probably improve us down both ends. Henderson has improved drastically since signing and his role in the side requires a skill-set that not many DMs possess. He also has Emre Can as an understudy and he has also shown he has the potential to make the position his. Mignolet/Karius can and should be improved on.

All things considered, I'm not sure any signing we make in the positions mentioned above would drastically change our results against the smaller sides. Replace Milner with another Clyne, Henderson with a Wanyama, and Mignolet with a LLoris and we still lose 2-0 to Burnley after having more than 80% possession.

If anything, I'd actually argue that we should replace Clyne and Milner with fullbacks who attack better; even if it means compromising our defense a bit more.

If we're replacing Henderson, one of the first things we'll need to look at is the player's technical ability and whether they have the passing range and ability to control the tempo of a game.

Unless Klopp decides to completely change his philosophy and go for 2 holding midfielders and shackle the likes of Mane and Coutinho a bit more, we'll always concede a lot and score a lot. We are overachieving at the moment because of it and surprisingly it seems to work a treat against the better sides we come up against.

If we look at the games where we dropped points, they are all games we should have won comfortably with better attacking play. Mane is someone we dont have a replacement for and we went 2 months without winning when he was out of the side. It wasnt down to our defending being poor (we will always struggle against the counter playing a possession + high press style) just as us sitting 3rd on the table isnt down to our defending.

If I had to pick between signing a Kante or an Aubameyang I'd pick the latter every time.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:18 pm

I think we are pretty decent all over the park, especially our first 11. I'd rather us go out and try to sign 2 or 3 world class players that can change the game in a instant. If we bought Keita, Lacazette and Van Dijk I'd be absolutely over the moon.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:34 pm

Meh to Van Dijk, especially with the amount of money involved. Were reports he was keen to goto chelsea. Yes he is decent but really don't think he is much better than we already have. We need a leader/organiser and not sure Van Dijk is that
Doeboy

Postby parchpea » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:16 pm

Naby Keita linked again and suspect hes on our list.

Be a lot of interest though even within Germany so need to get in there, style a bit like the old Terry McDermott, all action midfielder with quick passing and movement.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:08 pm

parchpea » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:16 pm wrote:Naby Keita linked again and suspect hes on our list.

Be a lot of interest though even within Germany so need to get in there, style a bit like the old Terry McDermott, all action midfielder with quick passing and movement.

Lot of clubs seem to be interested in him (Arsenal, Bayern been mentioned) but RB Leipzig seem keen to hold onto him are in contract talks with him apparently. Could be an expensive one as RB Leipzig are pretty cash rich and any club getting him off them will have done well imo
Doeboy

Postby Doeboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Stories coming out today that Sead Kolasinac from Schalke has signed for Arsenal on a free. Was one we were looking apparently
Doeboy

Postby Doeboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Hope Klopp has a list of alternatives and we actually go for them and try and strengthen weak areas this summer.By all accounts Kolasinac and Dahoud were targets this summer but looks like we've now missed out on both. What with Bayern apparently also wanting Brandt and Keita, this could be a tough summer with regards to competition for our targets.
Doeboy

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Never heard of that lad but I do believe we were interested because he was free  :nod . If we were interested though then how is it that we lose out again? especially to a club that is tanking this season and more than likely will have no CL to offer next season either.  :veryangry
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:49 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:44 pm wrote:Never heard of that lad but I do believe we were interested because he was free  :nod . If we were interested though then how is it that we lose out again? especially to a club that is tanking this season and more than likely will have no CL to offer next season either.  :veryangry

Who knows if we were really interested him or not, but there were quite a few links to him a few weeks back. Maybe we have our eyes on another LB
Doeboy

Postby Eagle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Not a single credible link to Kolasinac. Those journalists that are generally considered credible are saying we'll go after Ryan Sessegnon, Virgil van Dijk and Julian Brandt.

But too be honest, I question how credible their information is nowadays. When we do actually do transfers, those "credible" journalists don't link us to the player until a week or two before the deal is complete (Mane, Karius, Klavan, Wijnaldum, etc). I don't think there is much genuine information being leaked out of the club since Klopp took charge.
Eagle

Postby parchpea » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Unfortunately another link to Oxlade-Chamberlain which I personally hope is just BS.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill