Andy Carroll signs for West Ham

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:37 pm

D___C » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:22 pm wrote:Peter Crouch... is a better player than Andy Carroll.... and we got rid of him

(its a debate killer)

marcus stewart became flavour of the month at ipswich and we never got rid of crouch, we wanted him to stay, he wanted out because he was in his late 20`s and found himself behind gerrard and torres in the pecking order.
the england manager telling him he needed to be getting regular games in the prem was a big part of his decision too.
benitez said on the telly a couple of months ago that he wanted to sign andy carroll too, rafa always likes a big target man in his squads so there`s no way he would have got rid of crouch.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:47 pm

D___C » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:22 pm wrote:Peter Crouch... is a better player than Andy Carroll.... and we got rid of him

(its a debate killer)

Like you
:;):
Thommo's perm

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:52 am

Question. Watch the replays, where was Carroll when Agger provided the header into the box and Suarez scored.

Why was Agger, Flano, Martin and others in teh box/6 yard area but no Carroll.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:54 am

Another 30 minutes of below average football from Carroll against a struggling Villa doesn't do anything to convince me that Carroll should be part of Liverpool's long term plans. He has now been involved heavily in nearly all of our last 13 Premiership matches and we have won 2 and I'm fairly certain he hasn't scored or contributed very much worthy of note.Can't be bothered checking the stats.No doubt Benny and RedAnt will put me right.Sorry lads I love the club but in over fifty years of supporting them I have never been so disappointed in how we utilised over £100m in the transfer market.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby friendlyguy33 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:26 am

Carroll has jut not done it this season even the improvement since the New Year he only scored two goals in that period and had an assist or part in three (if you include Wembley).

The problem with him is that he's struggled in terms of real match sharpness and awareness at the start of the season to anticipate the few balls that were coming into the box. He appears to lack the confidence to find the space and time to try some shots outside the box like he scored at Newcastle. Also he's not an Ian Rush type who will run onto balls that Suarez could put through.

Comolli and to a lesser extent Dalglish should have thought far more clearly about how they were going to adapt Carroll into the team at the point that they moved for him and Suarez. If Kenny thought that Carroll needed more time to recover from last season's injury then maybe he shouldn't have been in the team until say late September/October when the side had already established a solid position in the league and had made better use of Kuyt/Suarez/Bellamy up front. To put Carroll in from the start knowing that he wasn't at his best was not great man or team management.

The Carroll deal I'm afraid is looking like a bad piece of panic buying to convince the fans and the media that Liverpool were sending out a signal of intent even though they were selling Torres for £50 million to one of their biggest rivals.
friendlyguy33

Postby devaney » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:55 am

friendlyguy33 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:26 am wrote:Carroll has jut not done it this season even the improvement since the New Year he only scored two goals in that period and had an assist or part in three (if you include Wembley).

The problem with him is that he's struggled in terms of real match sharpness and awareness at the start of the season to anticipate the few balls that were coming into the box. He appears to lack the confidence to find the space and time to try some shots outside the box like he scored at Newcastle. Also he's not an Ian Rush type who will run onto balls that Suarez could put through.

Comolli and to a lesser extent Dalglish should have thought far more clearly about how they were going to adapt Carroll into the team at the point that they moved for him and Suarez. If Kenny thought that Carroll needed more time to recover from last season's injury then maybe he shouldn't have been in the team until say late September/October when the side had already established a solid position in the league and had made better use of Kuyt/Suarez/Bellamy up front. To put Carroll in from the start knowing that he wasn't at his best was not great man or team management.

The Carroll deal I'm afraid is looking like a bad piece of panic buying to convince the fans and the media that Liverpool were sending out a signal of intent even though they were selling Torres for £50 million to one of their biggest rivals.
Excellent summary and I have said the same myself in the past regarding Liverpool's reasons for rushing in and buying Carroll. Hodgson was an extreme failure and never given a chance by a lot of fans.He was sacked because of awful results but more importantly because the fans were showing their disgust by not going to games. That situation had to be rectified immediately because revenue is god! If Torres hadn't been replaced it is very possible that attendances would have fallen even further.As you so rightly point out the Carroll deal was indeed a signal of intent.Who else was available? Another massive problem was the tax liability on the sale of Torres if we didn't quickly spend some of the proceeds.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:15 am

devaney » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:54 am wrote:Another 30 minutes of below average football from Carroll against a struggling Villa doesn't do anything to convince me that Carroll should be part of Liverpool's long term plans. He has now been involved heavily in nearly all of our last 13 Premiership matches and we have won 2 and I'm fairly certain he hasn't scored or contributed very much worthy of note.Can't be bothered checking the stats.No doubt Benny and RedAnt will put me right.Sorry lads I love the club but in over fifty years of supporting them I have never been so disappointed in how we utilised over £100m in the transfer market.

I have no problem with people having their opinion on Carroll. But many don't do that. Also I think it unfair to blame Carroll for everything. All our players have been poor including Gerrard and Suarez. The manager has been poor, and the coach, and YES, the fans too. According to some, this is all because we signed the big geordie. That's not fair, nor logical criticism. Andy has many bad points. I know it. But he also has good points and potential. Whilst those in the pro-Andy camp can see his faults, the anti-Andy camp are generally blind to all but his faults.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RedAnt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:27 am

friendlyguy33 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:26 am wrote:Carroll has jut not done it this season even the improvement since the New Year he only scored two goals in that period and had an assist or part in three (if you include Wembley).

Can agree with most of this. I'm sure though that had Carroll joined a winning team, an in-form team, a team that knows what it's doing, and that tactics it's playing, then Carroll and other new signings would have been much more effective. Carroll's not been good enough....fact. But then this season NOTHING has been good enough. Please remember that.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:32 am

devaney » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:54 am wrote:Another 30 minutes of below average football from Carroll against a struggling Villa doesn't do anything to convince me that Carroll should be part of Liverpool's long term plans. He has now been involved heavily in nearly all of our last 13 Premiership matches and we have won 2 and I'm fairly certain he hasn't scored or contributed very much worthy of note.Can't be bothered checking the stats.No doubt Benny and RedAnt will put me right.Sorry lads I love the club but in over fifty years of supporting them I have never been so disappointed in how we utilised over £100m in the transfer market.

No manager in the history of the club has the kind of investment that Kenny has had and I'm afraid he's squandered it. I've got no problems with us signing players with potential for the future, but not at the prices we paid and I'm disappointed that we didn't buy players with genuine track records over a number of seasons.
Boxscarf

Postby D___C » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:34 am

Reg » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:52 am wrote:Question. Watch the replays, where was Carroll when Agger provided the header into the box and Suarez scored.

Why was Agger, Flano, Martin and others in teh box/6 yard area but no Carroll.

No football brain.

His positional sense is non existant... Shelvey shouting at him last week at Newcastle to run into the box.. Aldo on the radio screaming during the league cup final at why he was stood stationary outside the box while Downing whipped in wonderful crosses across the six yard box. Also hes as mobile as a hipppo in a swamp. Suarez routinely spins away from defenders and hes alone up front with the big lump a good 30 yards behind play.

When he was with Newcastle it was "on me head son".. long balls from Nolan/Barton...simple basic bogstandard stuff all the time with long balls just lumped up to him. The chump has demanded similar with us... pointing to his head. We are (were) way out of his league.. unfortunately his ilk is now dragging us to the midtable level he left.

Hes abit "fick"...the big dumb geordie chuckling away on the bench yesterday while we were losing at home summed him up.
Last edited by D___C on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
D___C

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:41 am

friendlyguy33 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:26 am wrote:Comolli and to a lesser extent Dalglish should have thought far more clearly about how they were going to adapt Carroll into the team at the point that they moved for him and Suarez.

I still don't know what their plan is for Carroll and I can only assume that neither does he. There was an incident in last weeks game when Newcastle counter attacked us and with Flanno out of position, the midfield bypassed and Skrtl beaten,  there, steaming back into our area was Carroll ! . You could say hats off to him for that BUT I found myself cursing and wondering how the f*ck did one of our "strikers"  end up playing deeper than our midfield ? I'll always applaud work ethic but Set pieces aside I don't want to see our strikers anywhere near our area.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby D___C » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:54 am

woof woof ! » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:41 am wrote:
friendlyguy33 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:26 am wrote:Comolli and to a lesser extent Dalglish should have thought far more clearly about how they were going to adapt Carroll into the team at the point that they moved for him and Suarez.

I still don't know what their plan is for Carroll and I can only assume that neither does he. There was an incident in last weeks game when Newcastle counter attacked us and with Flanno out of position, the midfield bypassed and Skrtl beaten,  there, steaming back into our area was Carroll ! . You could say hats off to him for that BUT I found myself cursing and wondering how the f*ck did one of our "strikers"  end up playing deeper than our midfield ? I'll always applaud work ethic but Set pieces aside I don't want to see our strikers anywhere near our area.

See i wouldnt knock his effort/work rate either (his lunge in the league cup final when Kenny Miller shot was crucial)... nor am i bothered about his shouting at Kenny when he came off (passion is fine)... effort and passion is good..... its his lack of talent, lack of basic skill set, lack of brain, immobility, awful positional sense, poor technique on the floor, inability to interchange/link up with technical players, his negative effect on Suarez, his weak finishing, his clumsiness, his overall averageness... all of that (and more) is the problem.
D___C

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:04 pm

D___C » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:54 am wrote:
woof woof ! » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:41 am wrote:

See i wouldnt knock his effort/work rate either (his lunge in the league cup final when Kenny Miller shot was crucial)... nor am i bothered about his shouting at Kenny when he came off (passion is fine)... effort and passion is good..... its his lack of talent, lack of basic skill set, lack of brain, immobility, awful positional sense, poor technique on the floor, inability to interchange/link up with technical players, his negative effect on Suarez, his weak finishing, his clumsiness, his overall averageness... all of that (and more) is the problem.

But besides all that, you like him, yes....?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby Basil » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:45 pm

Boxscarf » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:32 am wrote:

No manager in the history of the club has the kind of investment that Kenny has had and I'm afraid he's squandered it. I've got no problems with us signing players with potential for the future, but not at the prices we paid and I'm disappointed that we didn't buy players with genuine track records over a number of seasons.

It is simply not true to say "no manager in the history of the club has the kind of investment that Kenny has", in the January when Kenny came back we bought Carroll and Suarez for £58M and sold Torres and Babel for £56M, then in the summer we spent £50 + million on new players but got £20 + million for selling the players we didn't want, in January we didn't spend anything. Perhaps FSG will make some more money available in the summer when we get Aquilani and Cole off the wage bill.

Rafa spent over £200 million in his 6 seasons in charge, raising over £100M in sales for a net spend of over £100M. The first 3 or 4 seasons we got stronger every year until H&G stopped the money in Rafa's last 2 seasons, this is when things started to go wrong for Rafa and for Liverpool and we still haven't recovered.

The mancs spend £20M on players for the future all the time but they ease them in gradually whereas our squad is so bare that they have to perform straight away, that's why these players get so much criticsm off so called fans.

We don't need to spend like city but we do need to add a 2 or 3 top quality players to compliment the players we already have, including a natural goal scorer and a winger who can hold the ball and ran at defenders.
Basil

Postby D___C » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Daily Mirror says hes on his way.

Personally i think selling him right now would be madness....because we would only see about 12m.

Its a no brainer.... season loan to Stoke... a team that play the very direct basic style that the big geordie yard dog likes... Rory Delap launching missiles from throw ins.. i could see his value rising to 16m.
D___C

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion