The computer games thread - 56K Modem Warning/Image heavy

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Were any of you guys ever into pure strategy games ? Pre computers and games consoles I was heavily into board and table top games. I've Just spent £65 on a game that's already two years old and modelled on the board war games of old. Can't wait for it to arrive and get stuck into to some serious wargaming.

If anyone's interested here's a review'

click >  War in the East

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:10 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Were any of you guys ever into pure strategy games ? Pre computers and games consoles I was heavily into board and table top games. I've Just spent £65 on a game that's already two years old and modelled on the board war games of old. Can't wait for it to arrive and get stuck into to some serious wargaming.

click >  War in the East

nah I'm not into pure strategy, just strategy, the best one I've played is Company of Heroes, the most realistic strategy game I have ever played and still play it.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:23 pm

metalhead wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Were any of you guys ever into pure strategy games ? Pre computers and games consoles I was heavily into board and table top games. I've Just spent £65 on a game that's already two years old and modelled on the board war games of old. Can't wait for it to arrive and get stuck into to some serious wargaming.

click >  War in the East

nah I'm not into pure strategy, just strategy, the best one I've played is Company of Heroes, the most realistic strategy game I have ever played and still play it.

God i hated those games, Commandos:Behind Enemy Lines as well, i just didnt have the patience.

But i love the Red Alert and Command & COnquer series of games, i could play them all day. Civilisation series too, love them.

Populous on the Amiga...................................a long time ago.....probably before a lot of you lot were born lol
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:41 pm

Populous was a great game but I still remember playing Elite on the BBC Micro, was completely hooked on it, I played it again recently and the graphics look so lame compared to modern games :-)
heimdall

Postby RedSi35 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:01 pm

heimdall wrote:Populous was a great game but I still remember playing Elite on the BBC Micro, was completely hooked on it, I played it again recently and the graphics look so lame compared to modern games :-)

Nostalgia isn't all it's cracked up to be lol

Downloaded winuae a while ago which came with about 4000 amiga games.......................................conclusion...............................it's just not the same as it was 20 odd years ago. Yeah it was nice playing a few of the old games ( sensi soccer, IK+, Lemmings, Skidmarks, The Chaos Engine etc ). Just not the same on a PC.

Best left where they were............... :(
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:15 pm

:D I on the other hand loved Commandoss, my all time favorite strategy game. Age of Mythology, Age of Empires, Rome and Medieval Total War, Company of Heroes are few other strategies worth mentioning... nothing like Commandos though :D. Damn I'm getting nostalgic.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RedSi35 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:29 pm

damjan193 wrote::D I on the other hand loved Commandoss, my all time favorite strategy game. Age of Mythology, Age of Empires, Rome and Medieval Total War, Company of Heroes are few other strategies worth mentioning... nothing like Commandos though :D. Damn I'm getting nostalgic.

It was "agahhghghghghggghhghgingly" frustrating though wasn't it?

Jesus.....................those Germans had the best f*cking eyesight EVER lol.............................................and those f*cking dogs..........AAGGAGAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH those dogs.

Gonna slap that game  :grinning:
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:01 pm

[quote="RedSi35]God i hated those games, Commandos:Behind Enemy Lines as well, i just didnt have the patience.

But i love the Red Alert and Command & COnquer series of games, i could play them all day. Civilisation series too, love them.

Populous on the Amiga...................................a long time ago.....probably before a lot of you lot were born lol[/quote]

Haha, I love Company of Heroes, and Civilization is one of my favorite turn based strategy games. I was playing Civ 5 not long ago and I was Bismarck, those germans and their panzers..ooof.. conquered 60% of the pangea map! haha.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:41 pm

metalhead wrote:

click >  War in the East

I love strategy games. I'll have to have a look at that War in the East. Funnily enough I reinstalled Company of Heroes a couple of days ago and forgot how awesome that game is. I have got Command & Conquer the First Decade, Civilization 5, all the Dawn of War games, Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition but one I used to play all the time was Lords of Midnight. Originally on the old speccy, which I still own, it was remade for the PC years ago. Still a classic.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:20 pm

RedSi35 wrote:
damjan193 wrote::D I on the other hand loved Commandoss, my all time favorite strategy game. Age of Mythology, Age of Empires, Rome and Medieval Total War, Company of Heroes are few other strategies worth mentioning... nothing like Commandos though :D. Damn I'm getting nostalgic.

It was "agahhghghghghggghhghgingly" frustrating though wasn't it?

Jesus.....................those Germans had the best f*cking eyesight EVER lol.............................................and those f*cking dogs..........AAGGAGAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH those dogs.

Gonna slap that game  :grinning:

Yeah it was a bit frustrating at times, mostly when I first started playing the game. But I got used to it fast because I really love that kind of stealth games which require a lot of thinking and planning a strategy. I also liked it to be perfect. My approach, the way I handled the situation, the way I went past my targets had to be perfect :D. I used to spend hours on just one situation, it just had to be handled perfectly :D. Man, the good old gaming days.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Kharhaz mate are u up for some COH game sometime?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:10 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:55 pm wrote:Were any of you guys ever into pure strategy games ?[/url]

Started playing Campaign Series game East Front back in 98 and still playing it online against human opponents via pbem 14 years later

Enjoy the squad battles games with pbem  from HPS
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:18 pm

laza » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:10 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:55 pm wrote:Were any of you guys ever into pure strategy games ?[/url]

Started playing Campaign Series game East Front back in 98 and still playing it online against human opponents via pbem 14 years later

I used to play command and conquer many moons ago
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:17 pm

dawson99 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:18 pm wrote:
laza » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:10 pm wrote:

I used to play command and conquer many moons ago

Loved the C&C games. Red Alert 2 was my fav, with all the cheesy video sequences. Had some epic 8 player online battles on that.
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:40 pm

metalhead » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:38 pm wrote:Kharhaz mate are u up for some COH game sometime?

Yeah no probs, I'll have to get some practice in though to give you some sort of a game !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum