Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby parchpea » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:43 pm

Few fans kicking about the idea of Columbia star CB Mina signing.

Definitely looks a good prospect, really competitive and agressive but not sure on his work outside some excellent performances in World Cup.

I know these World Cup stars can set alight then fade like a firework but hes an interesting player for sure.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:50 pm

parchpea » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:43 pm wrote:Few fans kicking about the idea of Columbia star CB Mina signing.

Definitely looks a good prospect, really competitive and agressive but not sure on his work outside some excellent performances in World Cup.

I know these World Cup stars can set alight then fade like a firework but hes an interesting player for sure.

Didn't he just sign for Barcelona?
Eagle

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Signed in Jan but hasn't had much game time it was saying in the England game. I think he'd be open to a move to gain 1st team football.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Now Switzerland are out of the world cup, surely Shaqiri will be announced within a matter of days?
Eagle

Postby kazza » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:58 am

Apparently Shaqiri is talking to ManUre and we have been priced out of Oblak and Allison and will stick with Karius.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:00 pm

kazza » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:58 am wrote:Apparently Shaqiri is talking to ManUre and we have been priced out of Oblak and Allison and will stick with Karius.

Are Allison and Oblak the only 2 keepers on the planet? For what it's worth I actually agree with the club in the sense that no way is that Allison worth £60m and Oblak is not worth £100m either. That shouldn't mean we stop looking though.
What I would say is that our defence did improve dramatically over the second half of last season, after conceding 5 against City, 4 against Spurs, 3 in 5 minutes against Arsenal, 3 against Watford and even 3 against Seville in that embaressing second half capitulation over in Spain we seemed well on course to ship our usual 50 goals for the campaign but the brakes came on quite dramatically once VVD and Karius were introduced to the side.
In fact we ended the season conceding just 38 league goals which was our lowest total in a decade (since Rafa's day) which just shows you how dramatically the brakes were slammed on.
CL final aside our defence was improving and with the introduction of 2 top class DM's in Fabinho and Keita (in an interview with LFCTV he described himself as primarily a defensive player) you'd imagine our defence will improve even further.
If Karius looks jittery we can always throw Ward in who looked a good keeper at Huddersfield to be fair.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:15 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:00 pm wrote:
kazza » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:58 am wrote:Apparently Shaqiri is talking to ManUre and we have been priced out of Oblak and Allison and will stick with Karius.

Are Allison and Oblak the only 2 keepers on the planet? For what it's worth I actually agree with the club in the sense that no way is that Allison worth £60m and Oblak is not worth £100m either. That shouldn't mean we stop looking though.
What I would say is that our defence did improve dramatically over the second half of last season, after conceding 5 against City, 4 against Spurs, 3 in 5 minutes against Arsenal, 3 against Watford and even 3 against Seville in that embaressing second half capitulation over in Spain we seemed well on course to ship our usual 50 goals for the campaign but the brakes came on quite dramatically once VVD and Karius were introduced to the side.
In fact we ended the season conceding just 38 league goals which was our lowest total in a decade (since Rafa's day) which just shows you how dramatically the brakes were slammed on.
CL final aside our defence was improving and with the introduction of 2 top class DM's in Fabinho and Keita (in an interview with LFCTV he described himself as primarily a defensive player) you'd imagine our defence will improve even further.
If Karius looks jittery we can always throw Ward in who looked a good keeper at Huddersfield to be fair.

I don't think Karius will ever recover from that final. He always seemed mistake prone but we were all willing to give him the benefit and the time to settle and prove us wrong. But after that final he only assured us that he isn't the most capable keeper and just not good enough for us.

If the club think Allison and Oblak are not worth it, fine, but they're not the only keepers on the planet. There are good goalies out there that can improve us and we have to sign one.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Karius kept 10 clean sheets in 19 league games last year. Appreicte that we improved defensively when VVD and Robbo came into the team but surely your keeper is doing something right if you're keeping clean sheets in more than 50% of games. In fact Karius had the best games to clean sheets record of any keeper in the league to play 10+ games.

Prior to the Champions League final Karius had a pretty decent 4 months and most fans seemed to be happy with him as our first choice if we couldn't get Alisson. I don't think Klopp will change his stance because of one game.

I think Migs and Ward will want to move to get first team football so we'll defo bring in at least one keeper. And if Klopp can't get someone who is big step up from Karius it will be someone to provide cover for him and money will be spent elsewhere.
Eagle

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:26 pm

Not even sure if we tried to sign Oblak or Allisson because of the figures being mentioned. Van Dijk wasnt cheap but his impact on the team was priceless and it could be similar with either of those. Its disappointing though that it won't happen because of money.

If Klopp wants to run with Karius again then so be it. I get where he is coming from regarding his form prior to the final. Still what happened, happened and most wont easily forget so its down to Karius himself to change that so he needs to be on the ball and drop the flashy stuff.

The only problem i see with this is that if he makes an error or 2 then what happens ?. Using Ward isnt an option really as what could we expect from a keeper even less experienced than Karius. If we have to resort to Mingolet again then its going around in circles.
Its also ridiculous to suggest that only 2 keepers out there can improve us especially seeing as the 2 they apparently targeted would be world record fees for that position that we weren't going to pay in the first place.

We need to get rid of Mingolet and bring in someone better even if it is only a stop gap. His time is up and if he regains the spot then its only rewarding failure.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Allison is the only GK we have had solid links too. But I'm sure Klopp and the recruitment team have been looking at all sorts of goalkeepers and it wouldn't surprise me if did sign someone for the first 11 that no one has mentioned. But at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if Klopp decides to go with Karius because none of the keepers he wants we can actually get. Either way it's fine by me. What I really wanted was for Klopp to remodel the midfield and bring in genuine alternatives to the front 3 and we half way there on that.
Eagle

Postby only me » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:50 pm

Eagle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:27 am wrote:Karius kept 10 clean sheets in 19 league games last year. Appreicte that we improved defensively when VVD and Robbo came into the team but surely your keeper is doing something right if you're keeping clean sheets in more than 50% of games. In fact Karius had the best games to clean sheets record of any keeper in the league to play 10+ games.

Prior to the Champions League final Karius had a pretty decent 4 months and most fans seemed to be happy with him as our first choice if we couldn't get Alisson. I don't think Klopp will change his stance because of one game.

I think Migs and Ward will want to move to get first team football so we'll defo bring in at least one keeper. And if Klopp can't get someone who is big step up from Karius it will be someone to provide cover for him and money will be spent elsewhere.

"Because of one game" is the understatement of the century ,he single handily demolished our chances for glory and should never be allowed to get another chance at destroying another opportunity for silverware.
Could you just imaging we reach another final and Karius is at goal? this is not only not fair to the lad it's almost criminal to put him in that position again.
Having said that he didn't prove himself as a top world keeper and that is what we need to look for....If we can't find one i'm perfectly ok on getting Smaikel Junior...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:18 pm

red till i die!! » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:26 pm wrote:
The only problem i see with this is that if he makes an error or 2 then what happens ?.

That is exactly what I'm thinking aswel. Everything he does will be scrutised and if he makes another hefty clanger then what.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:13 am

redshade wrote:
red till i die!! » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:26 pm wrote:
The only problem i see with this is that if he makes an error or 2 then what happens ?.

That is exactly what I'm thinking aswel. Everything he does will be scrutised and if he makes another hefty clanger then what.

Crucified from every angle and I am sure he knows it as well.

I said before the final that if Klopp couldn't land the keeper he wanted then I would be happy seeing Karius heading into the season as no 1 because he did enough to deserve it. I still think he does and deserves a chance to show the final was a one off. I would have been happy this summer if we upgraded on Simon and still would be. Oblak would be a massive upgrade on both and well worth a Van Dijk size fee imo.

Karius knows the stakes long before this announcement and being honest we all knew there was a good chance Klopp would back him anyway. Its a big show of faith so hopefully Karius will reward him for it on the pitch.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:53 pm

With Ronaldo most likely on his way to Juventus it looks like Dybala maybe the one sacrificed to make up the funds, and apparently us and him would be open for a move for him to come to us. A midfield of Fabinho/Keita/Dybala looks very tasty.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:41 pm

red till i die!! » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:21 pm wrote:Sturridge injury free for a season  :laugh:  He won't even get through pre-season and besides he is clearly not a player Klopp will play so get rid in favour of someone he will. There is a few reports from Turkish sources saying that Besiktas are interested in him but not for the £15 million we want  :lookaround  If they are willing to pay 5 then snap their hand off

A question for you...

Why is Jurgen sending out Sturridge and Origi on loan, if he doesn't fancy them to fit in with their squad? Is it to get fit, or what then?

Why not just sell them to a team lower down the league table etc. He has Ings and Solanke, so why not just get rid of them?

I would prefer a fit Sturridge to Ings or Solanke, he is quite intelligent and can score goals. Solanke has time to develop, but I'd get rid of Origi and Ings.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill