Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Eagle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:06 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:18 pm wrote:
Eagle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:17 pm wrote:Yep all the squad are up for sale. If an important player wants to stay FSG will push them out if the price is right. It's the FSG way. They have a track record of course. Klopp is in on it too. He cut short his sabbatical and turned down other clubs so he could join us and help us improve our balance sheet. And yes moneyball is all about cashing in on your best players. Anyone who has bothered to look into it will know this and can see this is what FSG have implemented at LFC.  ???

We have sold Torres, Mascherano, Sterling, Suarez and Coutinho during FSG's 7 and a half years at the club, that's not far off an average of a top player every season.
I'm not saying FSG are necessarily bad owners but it's ridiculous to say they won't cash in if the money is on the table. Barcelona said in January that they couldn't believe how keen we were to sell Coutinho.

FSG bought the club several months after Mascherano was sold.

Torres, Sterling, Suarez and Coutinho didn't leave because FSG wanted to cash in on them. Even you know that. They left because they wanted out and player and agent power wins out more often then not. We got 50mil for a broken down Torres who asked to leave and that money was reinvested in Suarez and Carroll. Sterling was doing unsanctioned interviews and calling in sick while his agent was slandering the club in public. We refused to sanction the sale of Suarez even though Arsenal met his release clause and he stopped training properly and we then sold him a year later. And Coutinho was feigning injury and his agent was slinging mud at Klopp through the press. All these players wanted to go and ultimately if the player wants to leave they will leave. Once the players and the agents start slinging mud in the media and start playing up on the training field the writing is on the wall. Sooner or later they will leave and it's just plain stupid to cut your nose off to spite your face.

And the bit in bold, what quotes do you have from the Barcelona directors that back this up? Or are you just using twitter rumours to beat the club with again.
Eagle

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:56 pm

We were keen to sell Coutinho?  Is that why Barca chased him all summer   :laugh:

Can't believe some are giving credence to these shte hawks. They announced half a dozen press conferences in the summer to unveil Coutinho...only to cancel them all at the last minute.  Leaked news to the press...push his agent to stir the sh!te and even got Nike in on the act to unveil his kit online.   

In the end Coutinho told Klopp he was done here and wouldn't play for us again. What was he meant to do?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:52 pm

Eagle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:17 pm wrote:Yep all the squad are up for sale. If an important player wants to stay FSG will push them out if the price is right. It's the FSG way. They have a track record of course. Klopp is in on it too. He cut short his sabbatical and turned down other clubs so he could join us and help us improve our balance sheet. And yes moneyball is all about cashing in on your best players. Anyone who has bothered to look into it will know this and can see this is what FSG have implemented at LFC.  ???

We have sold Torres, Mascherano, Sterling, Suarez and Coutinho during FSG's 7 and a half years at the club, that's not far off an average of a top player every season.
I'm not saying FSG are necessarily bad owners but it's ridiculous to say they won't cash in if the money is on the table. Barcelona said in January that they couldn't believe how keen we were to sell Coutinho.

Masch - went on strike - South American = Barca
Suarez - South American = Barca (plus his baggage)
Coutinho - South American = Barca
Sterling - agents a c**t
Torres - left a pretty bad taste but was finished as a top player

Given the context that's not bad. It's well known that South American's and Barca go hand in hand, the other 2 I'm not particularly fussed. Sterling always had a whiff of a w@nker about him and Torres gave up but so would everyone when ROy Hodgson is your manager. Saying FSG will cash in is one thing, the player wanting out and pushing for it is another. Salah isn't going anywhere (I've not checked why this discussion began but I'd hedge a bet it was about Salah)

Barca saying they couldn't believe we were keen is something they routinely spout after they buy a player - they always stick a boot into the selling club, it's their way of saving face. Don't bother reading anything into the Barcelona media machine.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:06 am

7_Kewell » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 pm wrote:We were keen to sell Coutinho?  Is that why Barca chased him all summer   :laugh:

Can't believe some are giving credence to these shte hawks. They announced half a dozen press conferences in the summer to unveil Coutinho...only to cancel them all at the last minute.  Leaked news to the press...push his agent to stir the sh!te and even got Nike in on the act to unveil his kit online.   

In the end Coutinho told Klopp he was done here and wouldn't play for us again. What was he meant to do?

Yeah, with 4 and a half years left on his contract and a World Cup in the summer we had no leverage over him at all  :lookaround
Suarez had just signed a new long term deal as well when we sold him.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:15 am

Klopptomaniac » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:52 pm wrote:

Masch - went on strike - South American = Barca
Suarez - South American = Barca (plus his baggage)
Coutinho - South American = Barca
Sterling - agents a c**t
Torres - left a pretty bad taste but was finished as a top player

Given the context that's not bad. It's well known that South American's and Barca go hand in hand, the other 2 I'm not particularly fussed. Sterling always had a whiff of a w@nker about him and Torres gave up but so would everyone when ROy Hodgson is your manager. Saying FSG will cash in is one thing, the player wanting out and pushing for it is another. Salah isn't going anywhere (I've not checked why this discussion began but I'd hedge a bet it was about Salah)

Barca saying they couldn't believe we were keen is something they routinely spout after they buy a player - they always stick a boot into the selling club, it's their way of saving face. Don't bother reading anything into the Barcelona media machine.

However you want to explain it away the fact remains that we have lost 5 top players in 7 years, that type of attrition rate is not sustainable. Not if we want to be a club that regularly wins the top prizes in the game anyway.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:44 am

At the end of the season we can start a 20 page thread called 'Were we right to sell Coutinho?'  As long as we finish top 4 my answer will be yes. With Keita coming in and still having 140 million in the bank to spend, so far, I haven't seen any loss of form since he left. Anyway lets wait til later when we're all suffering from cabin fever!

PS anyone who thinks we lost Suarez, Torres, Mascher etc.. because of FSG is a bigger nutcase than Algymoon.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:34 am

Eagle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:06 pm wrote:

FSG bought the club several months after Mascherano was sold.

Torres, Sterling, Suarez and Coutinho didn't leave because FSG wanted to cash in on them. Even you know that. They left because they wanted out and player and agent power wins out more often then not. We got 50mil for a broken down Torres who asked to leave and that money was reinvested in Suarez and Carroll. Sterling was doing unsanctioned interviews and calling in sick while his agent was slandering the club in public. We refused to sanction the sale of Suarez even though Arsenal met his release clause and he stopped training properly and we then sold him a year later. And Coutinho was feigning injury and his agent was slinging mud at Klopp through the press. All these players wanted to go and ultimately if the player wants to leave they will leave. Once the players and the agents start slinging mud in the media and start playing up on the training field the writing is on the wall. Sooner or later they will leave and it's just plain stupid to cut your nose off to spite your face.

Good post
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:07 am

I think there are two things going on; managing the football and managing the club. The football is short term but managing club is long term. I remember a while ago when Chelsea wanted to buy Gerrard for something like 80 million and at the time a new stadium was supposed to cost 120 million. As it happpened (it could well have been rumors but the point still stands) we never really achieved anything of note with Gerrard and 50% more than what we would have got for Gerrard we could have had a new stadium. In the short term selling Gerrard would have been terrible and all on here were saying you never sell your best players, but had we taken that deal it would have made the club stronger. Emotion, loyalty and support aside, players have a shelf life but the club does not. At some point every player will leave or retire. Yet to be determined but I'd say we are now better without Coutinho, especially since he did not want to play for us. Whether it was a WC year or we had him on a 5 year contract, if they want to leave then good riddance to them.

As fans it is all about emotion but as owners it is all about cold hard business sense and we need owners that think without emotion as much as it may conflict with the fans point of view. I do think these owners are putting us on the right path and have stabilized us to the point where we see the future as bright. We have come along way since the last owners where we were at a serious risk of ending up like Leeds. Every time the owners sold our " best player" there was an uproar but looking back at it, it is clear we survived and we are where we are ( yes I know, we have not won the title in decades) but as it is we are a dynamic young side that plays memorable football. If it took selling a couple of players that did not want to be part of the project for a high price then so be it, I will not shed a tear.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Reg » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:44 am wrote:At the end of the season we can start a 20 page thread called 'Were we right to sell Coutinho?'  As long as we finish top 4 my answer will be yes. With Keita coming in and still having 140 million in the bank to spend, so far, I haven't seen any loss of form since he left. Anyway lets wait til later when we're all suffering from cabin fever!

PS anyone who thinks we lost Suarez, Torres, Mascher etc.. because of FSG is a bigger nutcase than Algymoon.

GREAT POST! I just spat my cereal out!
(Luckily there was no-one in the line of fire  :blush: )
---
FFS you'd think the club was going backwards...
---
The team is now better post SG and Suarez
The team is stronger as a unit and they all seem to like one another.
The manager has got the fan base to truly believe in the team.
We are now competitive - proven by the fact that we are still the only team to have beaten the current Champions Elect.
We've got a nice transfer kitty for future use
A top rated player wants to join us so bad that a pre-sale agreement is in place.
Our home kit is the best design we've had for years
Anfield now sees the biggest match day attendances she's had since post Taylor Report
JUSTICE FOR THE 96 - now appears to be headed towards a reality!
My CO.CK is hard every time LFC take to the field
LFC have recruited the most expensive defender the world of football has ever seen.
We've got a front 3 that has the RAF rethinking the whole Red Arrows project.
Young talented players are getting a chance to play for the big team...
The business Execs are spunk.ing at the thought of playing two 1/4 CL games.
We have a new Egyptian King.
Fantastic new songs for the KOP to sing.
A more than strong possibility of playing CL football next season - which has not happened post RAFA era.
Manure fans wish they had all of the above...

...And according to some reports,
Linda is going to auction a PRE-SOILED limited edition (Star Spangled) pair of Egyptian silk thongs - with all monies going into our transfer kitty!
---
I guess there's no pleasing some.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:12 pm

Yakka and other posters who think that FSG and chomping at the bit to "cash in" on players, to what end? Why are they doing this?
Eagle

Postby maguskwt » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:47 pm

kazza » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:07 am wrote:I think there are two things going on; managing the football and managing the club. The football is short term but managing club is long term. I remember a while ago when Chelsea wanted to buy Gerrard for something like 80 million and at the time a new stadium was supposed to cost 120 million. As it happpened (it could well have been rumors but the point still stands) we never really achieved anything of note with Gerrard and 50% more than what we would have got for Gerrard we could have had a new stadium. In the short term selling Gerrard would have been terrible and all on here were saying you never sell your best players, but had we taken that deal it would have made the club stronger. Emotion, loyalty and support aside, players have a shelf life but the club does not. At some point every player will leave or retire. Yet to be determined but I'd say we are now better without Coutinho, especially since he did not want to play for us. Whether it was a WC year or we had him on a 5 year contract, if they want to leave then good riddance to them.

As fans it is all about emotion but as owners it is all about cold hard business sense and we need owners that think without emotion as much as it may conflict with the fans point of view. I do think these owners are putting us on the right path and have stabilized us to the point where we see the future as bright. We have come along way since the last owners where we were at a serious risk of ending up like Leeds. Every time the owners sold our " best player" there was an uproar but looking back at it, it is clear we survived and we are where we are ( yes I know, we have not won the title in decades) but as it is we are a dynamic young side that plays memorable football. If it took selling a couple of players that did not want to be part of the project for a high price then so be it, I will not shed a tear.

I do hope that you are just talking philosophically with your first paragraph Kazza mate. There is no way we should be selling our best players to fund any improvements in the club's infra structure, let alone sell a once in a generation player like Gerrard, let alone sell arguably one of the two best players ever to wear the liverpool shirt. Financing improvements to the club infra structure can come from other revenues, like ticket sales, shirt sales, TV revenue, even bringing in a minority share holder. But if you are selling your best players to improve the club's infrastructure you are bound to fail.

Aside to Eagle, let's not paint the owners as angels in all of this. The reason that the aforementioned players wanted to leave was because the club didn't show any ambitions of winning anything until very recently. Did that ever happened to united under Ferguson? If I'm not wrong only Ronaldo left on his own accord. You never hear united players using their team as a stepping stone. If they left, it is because they either retired or they were sold like cattle for falling out with Ferguson. Stam and Beckham were sold like cattle because Ferguson didn't want them anymore. When tweedle dee and tweedle dum took over, they proceeded to strip the club of the talent, Rafa was under sell to buy directive. When FSG took over, they mismanaged the club with their moneyball strategy, Rodgers had to deal will several deals falling through. Until this season FSG never showed ambition to win anything other than balancing the books and finishing top 4. The reason I myself personally didn't mind selling Coutinho is that we are using the funds wisely. But this didn't happen before this summer. And you'd have to credit Klopp with being able to identify players that can really play under his system. It is not everytime that when you sell your best player, you'd get rewarded for the same value or more. That is why it is never good to sell your best player. Klopp is FSG's saving grace because only he could bring in players to improve after selling your best player. But our record of selling our best players gives us a reputation that if you entice us enough we will let go of the player. And this is not a reputation to have when you are trying to be one of the top teams in England and Europe.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:50 pm

Reg » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:44 am wrote:At the end of the season we can start a 20 page thread called 'Were we right to sell Coutinho?'  As long as we finish top 4 my answer will be yes. With Keita coming in and still having 140 million in the bank to spend, so far, I haven't seen any loss of form since he left. Anyway lets wait til later when we're all suffering from cabin fever!

Where do you think that the 37 million (Salah), 35 Million (Ox), 75 million (VVD) and 55 million (Keita) came from Reg mate? We do not have 140 million in the bank and I'd be surprised if we spend more other than a GK in the coming summer. Our net spend every season has been 25-30 million pounds and FSG's gonna keep it that way.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:04 pm

But we are not Man Utd are we? We didn’t spend the 90s commercialising the f*ck out of the club and end up bringing in far more revenue than other clubs. The Fergie era was built on the patience to build long term foundations, a good manager, a good academy, and strong financials as a result of ownership who increased revenues, expanded the stadium, and ensured the club lived within its means. Sound familiar?

FSG have been far from perfect but as time has passed they have been making more good decisions than bad. They have turned the club around behind the scenes and every penny that the club has generated has been invested back into the club. To suggest they are desperate to cash in on our best players is bollox.
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Eagle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:04 pm wrote:But we are not Man Utd are we? We didn’t spend the 90s commercialising the f*ck out of the club and end up bringing in far more revenue than other clubs. The Fergie era was built on the patience to build long term foundations, a good manager, a good academy, and strong financials as a result of ownership who increased revenues, expanded the stadium, and ensured the club lived within its means. Sound familiar?

FSG have been far from perfect but as time has passed they have been making more good decisions than bad. They have turned the club around behind the scenes and every penny that the club has generated has been invested back into the club. To suggest they are desperate to cash in on our best players is bollox.

The top players aren't soft, they know when a club is genuinely pulling out all the stops to win things and that's why so many of our better players have left.
As I have said FSG aren't the worst owners in the world and I will be grateful to them until my dying day for deciding to stay at Anfield but I am under no illusions about why they are here - they are here to make money, pure and simple.
They are baseball people, they didn't grow up watching footy or kicking a ball around, the very things that most fans regard as being wrong with the modern game (obscene wealth etc) are the very things which attracted them to the sport in the first place. If the money would have been in Cricket or Rugby that's where they would be now. They followed the money trail and it led them here.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:42 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:03 pm wrote:
Eagle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:04 pm wrote:But we are not Man Utd are we? We didn’t spend the 90s commercialising the f*ck out of the club and end up bringing in far more revenue than other clubs. The Fergie era was built on the patience to build long term foundations, a good manager, a good academy, and strong financials as a result of ownership who increased revenues, expanded the stadium, and ensured the club lived within its means. Sound familiar?

The top players aren't soft, they know when a club is genuinely pulling out all the stops to win things and that's why so many of our better players have left.
As I have said FSG aren't the worst owners in the world and I will be grateful to them until my dying day for deciding to stay at Anfield but I am under no illusions about why they are here - they are here to make money, pure and simple.
They are baseball people, they didn't grow up watching footy or kicking a ball around, the very things that most fans regard as being wrong with the modern game (obscene wealth etc) are the very things which attracted them to the sport in the first place. If the money would have been in Cricket or Rugby that's where they would be now. They followed the money trail and it led them here.

So are we to think that all football club owners ARE NOT in it for the money?  :laugh: That FSG are the only crew in town that wants to make a buck or two?  :wwww
Why do you even think Man City was bought out, when the current owners could have bought Villa or Forest who have both been European Champions with much more of a 'football heritage'?
---
East Manchester was derelict only two decades ago. Then a new stadium was built which brought in the Commonwealth Games, a few years later City bought into it and also its surrounding areas! Who do you think is building all of the housing and facilities in that area... And why are they building it? Because of MONEY!
Do you really think Real Madrid owners or owners in Paris are only in it for a laugh?  :glare:
---
If your views were accurate then the Chel$ea mob along with $hitie would be allowed to watch their club for FREE... But they are not are they!
They are charged a premium to enter and watch matches, just like at any other club. WHY? Because of MONEY!
---
Money makes the world go round...
...AND it also makes the rich RICHER!
---
SO ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
I challenge you to prove (with evidence not opinion) which club owners of a top European Football Club DO NOT care for money and only care for winning. AND before you mention Barca or R Madrid, remember - both of these clubs off-load its playing staff for high market prices. So please, go ahead, name one club?
---
OH and also. All major trophies carry TOP END PRIZE MONEY!
When was the last time you heard R Madrid or Barca or LFC giving away their CL spoils to charity?  :laugh:
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill