Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby red_indian » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:37 pm

What about out goings though? Sakho, Markovic??? Hardly any point them sticking around
red_indian

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:57 pm

Looks like Sakho is off to palace for £26m which is decent Tbh. I still think we'll pull off the VVD deal. Monaco accepted £92m for Lemar but he said he'd rather join us... go get him Klopp!!
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:06 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:33 pm wrote:The uber reliable James Pearce has said that we won't be doing any more business. Looks like Monaco wanted too much for Lemar (€100m) and Southampton stuck to their guns over VVD. Unless those clubs shift position in the next few hours (which is unlikely) then we are done in terms of incomings.
Still, it's been a good window imo. The main thing was keeping Coutinho, his link up with Salah looked unbelievable in pre season and I can't wait to see that in the prem. The likes of Robertson and Solanke have looked solid signings too.
We secured Keita for next season as well which is a huge coup.
Pity about not getting a CB but can't have everything I suppose.
Nice work FSG  :bowdown

But.. And my opinion only.... Klopp has let his inability to sort out differences with a player result in the departure of Sakho, who we really should have kept.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby redshade » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:46 pm

Transfer windows are there for teams to fix up problematic areas. I am pleased with our signing but our inability to strengthen our defense does take the shine off. Attacking wise were more or less sorted. signing Ox and keeping Couts is a huge positive.

With our defense if Matip and Lovren are out were pretty much screwed at the back. It's a weak area that should have been addressed.

Oh well its been fun...
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:00 pm

Assuming VVD doesn't crash into Melwood it is pretty amazing we weren't able to sort out defensive side...I mean we had a ton of time to lineup a list of CB's and its if curtains closed in the office..Right now we are under the impression of the Arsenal game but days will come when the defensive liabilities are going to bite us in the a$$ everyone knows it yet nothing was done...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:04 pm

Ok. So, if someone had said to you before the window started that we'd bring in Chamberlain (RW, poor man's CM), Salah (RW), Solanke (unknown), Robertson (from Hull) you probably would have thought it would be a terrible window. We missed out on getting Van Dijk, Lemar, Keita (this window), and a host of other players who realistically would have walked straight into the starting 11.
Keeping Coutinho is probably the reason Liverpool fans aren't as upset about this window as they probably should be. I think there's still questions to be asked given how this turned out. 

- Would any of the players we signed this window get into the starting 11 when Coutinho and Lallana are back ?
- Is Chamberlain a better CM than Lallana, Wijnaldum, or Can ? Is he that much of an improvement on our 4th choice Milner as a CM ?
- Given our inability to defend (GK, LB, CB, defending crosses), does it make sense to go out and spend 82 mill on squad players ?
- Will Coutinho stay past this season ?

I'm all for going all out and outscoring opponents. I've wanted us to sign forwards/attacking midfielders and focus on making sure we have an attacking unit that gives us a chance against any side we play. That said, we had a real opportunity of improving in an area that everyone agrees is a major problem for us. One dominant CB or a top GK would certainly have helped with all the goals we concede from crosses. It potentially could be the difference between us finishing in a top6 spot and competing in the top3. The Watford game was an example of how our issues go unresolved; score 3 and concede 3 (2 from crosses).
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:15 pm

Heard a discussion on BBC sport earlier, saying managers have become particularly lazy this window, no more so when it comes to defenders. Johnny Evans as an example. Not a bad pro but is he really the best Citeh can buy, or is it panic in the last few days driving his price up because they need to be seen to do something?
Same for LFC, is VVD really the only option and nobody else? Did the club not look at other players in the past 12 months?
Food for thought...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby johnbarnes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:34 pm

bunglemark2 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:15 pm wrote:Heard a discussion on BBC sport earlier, saying managers have become particularly lazy this window, no more so when it comes to defenders. Johnny Evans as an example. Not a bad pro but is he really the best Citeh can buy, or is it panic in the last few days driving his price up because they need to be seen to do something?
Same for LFC, is VVD really the only option and nobody else? Did the club not look at other players in the past 12 months?
Food for thought...

Money tends to make organisations / company's lazy.
PL scouting teams are appalling compared to the so called lower European leagues.
---
If LFC were to nail down a better scouting system - we'd rule the world. Again!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 pm

Not sure what everyone is so happy about we have left ourselves woefully short yet again, our centre options are quite frankly pitiful and we have written off any chance of winning the league, I like the signings we have made but we simply had to buy a centre back and going with Lovren as a starting centre back is criminal and will cost us
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:47 pm

Renato Sanchez on loan to Swansea is an odd one.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:06 pm

redshade » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:47 pm wrote:Renato Sanchez on loan to Swansea is an odd one.

Bayern wanted him to go to a club where he would play regularly. Much more chance of that happening at Swansea that than top 5 clubs here in England. Also Paul Clement was part of Ancelotti's coaching staff at Bayern (was also with him at Chelsea and Real Madrid I believe) for about 6 months so that probably helped get the deal done having already worked with the player somewhat.
Doeboy

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:17 pm

What happened to this incredible £175m spending spree that will shock the football world?

Was that to get us excited again? To give us hope for the transfer deadline day?

All day I've been telling ppl that it's the first deadline day I've ever been excited about because we we're finally buying some calibre players.

And once again we are left with disappointment.. I'm sick of the transfer windows.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:46 pm

I don't think our defensive woes would have been solved by 1 CB.
Carragher pointed out the other day that our defensive record against the top sides is actually pretty good, as he said when our players know they have to be on their toes they defend well but against the so called lesser sides they become lackadaisical and sloppy.
As he said against the Watford's of this world our central defenders often get carried away and start joining in attacks when they don't need to and what's worse they even get ahead of the ball which is crazy for CB's away from home. He said our CM's aren't much better, they seem to vacate the midfield when they feel like as well.
He reckons it's great to play free flowing football but you still need to keep you basic shape and back your team mate up like we do against the better sides. As we showed Sunday keeping your shape doesn't stop you playing exhibition stuff.
IMO he has got a point, you never see Matip hanging around the edge of the opposition box against City or Chelsea.
Jurgen said after the match against Arsenal that the reason we defended so well was because Mane and Salah got back to help our fullbacks, he seems to think our defensive woes are largely down to organisation and shape and maybe that's why he didn't go for anyone else when the VVD deal didn't materialise.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:54 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:17 pm wrote:What happened to this incredible £175m spending spree that will shock the football world?

Was that to get us excited again? To give us hope for the transfer deadline day?

All day I've been telling ppl that it's the first deadline day I've ever been excited about because we we're finally buying some calibre players.

And once again we are left with disappointment.. I'm sick of the transfer windows.

To be fair if Southampton would have allowed VVD to go he'd be a Liverpool player now, FSG would have gladly coughed up the money, not much we can do though if a club decides to stick to its guns (just as Barca have found with us).
This window hasn't been too bad, we have bought Salah, Keita (for next year) and Oxlade-Chamberlain plus solid back ups like Robertson and Solanke. Keeping Coutinho is huge as well, not many clubs could have stood up to the dirty tricks campaign Barca threw at us this summer.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:27 pm

So far at 10:23pm its Sakho out and Origi loan paying for Oxlade-Chamberlain in thats the only think thas happened.

FSG again proving they will not go beyond to help us challenge for a title and literally all their staff manage to do is p@ss other clubs off with insulting or illegal bids/approaches and end up with nothing.

You can talk of Keita but thats next season and for a us it's ALWAYS next season never this.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill