Marc pelosi - American's rising star might join us

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby metalhead » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:59 pm

July 8, 2011

U.S. soccer star has big choice: UCLA or Liverpool
RivalsHigh
349 531 Email86SOCIAL: Follow on Twitter | Friend on Facebook
Marc Pelosi, regarded by many as the top high school boys soccer player in the United States, thought he had finished his recruiting process when he verbally committed to UCLA.

Now, however, he has a much-bigger decision: Liverpool F.C. has offered him a chance to go pro and join one of the world's top organizations.

Getty Images

Marc Pelosi can play as either a defender or an attacking midfielder.
"It's a great feeling," he told topdrawersoccer.com.

And a big decision for the 17-year-old from Sunnyvale, Calif.

"I have been told the current Barcelona coach said that, 'If you don't go to Barcelona, the second-best place to develop is at Liverpool.' It's a great, top notch organization," he said.

"Right now, I want to make sure that wherever I go I am in the right place where there is a balance between training and playing high-level matches. And I want to ensure I can continue my education."

He has said he hopes to decide in the next few weeks. If he turns pro, he will join the development program of the English Premier League club.

Pelosi, 6-0, 170 pounds, can play both defender and attacking midfielder with the type of skills that have made him the No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2012 by topdrawersoccer (see top 100).

He has been a regular on U.S. national teams for years and joined the residency program in Bradenton, Fla., in the fall of 2009. He was the captain of the team when the U.S. advanced to the Round of 16 in the FIFA U-17 World Cup earlier this month. He had two goals and two assists to help the U.S. qualify for the event.

"It's a great feeling knowing that the work I have put in the last few years, and especially the last two years in the U-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Florida, has paid huge dividends," Pelosi said. "I think it has been a great benefit being able to play against professional and International teams, as well as playing in big stadiums in front of large crowds."

And while life in Europe may be daunting for some 17-year-olds, it wouldn't be for Pelosi. He was born in Baden, Germany.

According to the report, he has spent many summers in Europe competing with youth teams. He also competed with the Borussia Monchengladbach club based in North Rhine-Westphalia.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1238521

----
Sorry abt the link on my bb, so another freddy adu or a star in the making?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:55 pm

Would he even get a work permit?
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:13 pm

Defender or attacking midfielder... You're kidding me right? :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Woooo Americans!!!! :p   He's from a place like 7 hours drive from where I live, and if you want talent from America, it'll be from California.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:58 pm

RedSi35 wrote:Would he even get a work permit?

if he was born in germany then he has access to a european passport so wont require a permit.

i know relatively little about the game in the usa but its bound to have taken hold by know and its just a matter of time before they start producing top stars.

loved this quote."I have been told the current Barcelona coach said that, 'If you don't go to Barcelona, the second-best place to develop is at Liverpool.' It's a great, top notch organization," he said.

good on ya pep :buttrock
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:04 pm

What happened to that American 'wonder kid' a few years back? Was supposedly linked with Chelsea. His name has escaped me.

Can't say ive seen any of this lad but if Kenny and Commoli think he is good enough then sign him up.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby paisleyred » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:46 pm

tubby wrote:What happened to that American 'wonder kid' a few years back? Was supposedly linked with Chelsea. His name has escaped me.

Can't say ive seen any of this lad but if Kenny and Commoli think he is good enough then sign him up.

Freddy Adu was the guy.think he went to Benfica or something.
paisleyred

Postby Zidane » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:19 am

Freddy Adu ruined his career when he chose the MLS over moving abroad.  Word is we've signed Pelosi, I have no clue how good he is, but he's made a much better decision than Adu if it's true.  The MLS ruins young players by making them think that they've made it.  In that league even at their young age they can be productive, but they will never develop properly into what they can really become.  I'm sure America has some gems in there and whoever eventually produces a top class player from America is going to benefit immensely from it.  Problem is a lot of young American kids don't want to move abroad that often and it's the reason their development stalls so much.  Like I said I have no clue how good this guy is/can be but I'll be delighted to see a young American prospect make the move overseas instead of ruining their career by staying.
Zidane

Postby Kukilon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:59 am

There was lots of rumours about Adu actually being older than he was. Thats why he was so much better then the other players at a younger age.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:35 am

Zidane wrote:Freddy Adu ruined his career when he chose the MLS over moving abroad.  Word is we've signed Pelosi, I have no clue how good he is, but he's made a much better decision than Adu if it's true.  The MLS ruins young players by making them think that they've made it.  In that league even at their young age they can be productive, but they will never develop properly into what they can really become.  I'm sure America has some gems in there and whoever eventually produces a top class player from America is going to benefit immensely from it.  Problem is a lot of young American kids don't want to move abroad that often and it's the reason their development stalls so much.  Like I said I have no clue how good this guy is/can be but I'll be delighted to see a young American prospect make the move overseas instead of ruining their career by staying.

To be honest I think he ruined his career because he started playing in the MLS at 15.  The MLS isn't too competitive, but for a 15 year old who is nowhere near as good as they try to make you look, it's very challenging.  He was shipped abroad and has played for a few clubs in a few different leagues and never really impressed.

His whole signing by DC United was a publicity stunt... They signed him and sold out every game for the rest of the season.  It was like Beckham coming to the MLS.  The MLS made money because Adu was a 15 year old kid playing professionally.  I'm pretty sure he only scored 1 goal his entire first season as a striker.

Tho to be fair at the Gold Cup the US just played in, he made a surprise appearance to the squad and was probably the best player for the US in the last 2 games they played.  Really surprised me, so we may see more of him again.

And I think we have to credit the MLS a bit now.  I think it used to be garbage but it's really come a long way.  Where I live football is starting to get a lot bigger.  People are paying attention and the MLS isn't as weak as people think/as it used to be.  Tho that doesn't say a whole lot.
ethanr

Postby Kukilon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:02 pm

The MLS is far better then it gets credit for. Its probably on pair with the danish league in overall terms
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby tommycockles » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:37 am

Kukilon wrote:The MLS is far better then it gets credit for. Its probably on pair with the danish league in overall terms

Wow, that good?! :)
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:56 am

The leagues maybe on a par but the Danish bacon is premier league ,whereas the US bacon is very much minor league. :D
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:20 pm

ethanr wrote:Woooo Americans!!!! :p   He's from a place like 7 hours drive from where I live, and if you want talent from America, it'll be from California.

there's this kid from California, Villyan Bijev...heard of him? he is currently on loan to Genk but he's a Liverpool player. do you think he is a good prospect?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ethanr » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:11 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
ethanr wrote:Woooo Americans!!!! :p   He's from a place like 7 hours drive from where I live, and if you want talent from America, it'll be from California.

there's this kid from California, Villyan Bijev...heard of him? he is currently on loan to Genk but he's a Liverpool player. do you think he is a good prospect?

Never heard of him to be honest. BUt 5 goals and 2 assists in 2 games for our U-18's isn't bad.

I hope he turns into something.. The US need to have a really good player for once... Not to mention it's always nice to have talent come up from the reserves.
ethanr

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill