Liverpool set to sign Skrtel - New defender

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:37 pm

Ade wrote:Just wonder how bad Agger's injury is. If he's due back soon, with Carra and Arbeloa on good form, Hyypia proving a fine deputy and general depth across the back line, do we need to be spending £6m on a bit of a gamble of a defender?

Especially if Juve are in for Momo, that should command at least a £7m fee. That would be £13m to play with if we hadn't gone in for this Slovak, which would go a long way to signing a top winger, or signing Masch.

Don't see our problems being at the back but in goalscoring midfielders/wingers

I disagree... i think this will be a good signing and at an area we need reinforcing...Hyppia is 34, Carragher is 29 and not getting younger, Agger is injured... this is a signing both for the present and future... hopefully he's as good as vidic who we missed out...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:41 pm

Hyypia's long-term replacement perhaps?
LFC2007

Postby metalhead » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:52 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Hyypia's long-term replacement perhaps?

Maybe, if he turns out to be a very good defender
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:53 pm

LFC2007 wrote:He sounds slightly Agger-esque - relatively unknown, athletic, young - both are 23, and rangy. He sounds as if he might be slightly stronger than Agger, and he's slightly taller.

It would seem we have the blueprint for a very, very good young centre-half. Has he the quality and abilities required?, we'll see.

he is 6" 4 i hear and built like a brick sh!t house.

i see him getting many goals from set pieces !

Happy Days "tuffnel"  :buttrock
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:59 pm

i think he's between 6'3" - 6'4" not as tall as Hyppia but tall enough...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:42 pm

If there is one thing that Rafa knows how to buy, it is a defender  so I feel fairly confident about this lad coming in. When Arbeloa came in there wasn't much fanfare about him, but he settled well and has been a consistently good defender for the club. Expect more of the same here. He's big, seems to like being physical and reminds me of Vidic before he moved to the Prem. That's a lot of the Queen's English pounds to spend on a center half, but he may prove to be a great buy if he can score from set pieces also, which we desperately need.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mungi » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:58 pm

good to see us active in the transfer market. guy looks the goods. hopefully he is worth every single penny
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:39 pm

Sounds a prospect. If he's anywhere near as good as Vidic we're onto a winner!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:14 am

Lets not get carried away, I hope he turns out to be good

let us not think "if" he will become like vidic

let us think "if" he will become better than Vidic.

:p
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:36 am

football manager 08 says good player

i will try sign him see how he does  :cool:
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby europian-kings » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:44 am

i really like this player.....i was going to make a topic about him a month or so ago saying we should buy him in january....looks like we have :) the couple of games ive seen him play in, he is one of the best ive seen around and at 23 there is stil a good 8-10 or so years in him.
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby saetiakidLFC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:57 am

I remeber  him scoring a screaming free kick a few months ago on Eurosport. Looks good!
Need a good Winger and 1 good Striker and we'll be okay.
saetiakidLFC

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:30 am

zarababe wrote:
The_Rock wrote:Hope rafa shuts his mouth up when this deal is done....and stops playing mindgames with the owners (by using the press)....

The owners are coughing up the dosh.....

Strange thing to say Rock - highlighting the need to act quickly in order to secure signings - when the likes of Fergie are already talking about securing Tevez for longer and Rafa can't even give Masch any gaurantees with the vultures circling because of such a precarious timescale says a lot about the gulf between us and the Mancs on and of the field !

Our manager should be able to talk with confidence of potential siginings / targets without necessairly dropping names - but he needs to know the score, where is he shopping Harrods or Tesco !

There has never been a day  at this club when the owners  never coughed-up the money and Liverpool managers have been able to state their intentions confidentaly!

Things are changing and not for the better I fear !

but zara....rafa has to understand that moores is not in charge of this club anymore. The yanks are. And let me tell you they aren't as diplomatic as Moores. Hicks especially is one tough son-of-a-gun.

Its the same as when our manager or supervisor changes. We just pretend everything is the same and just go on about our jobs as if nothing has changed ? same senario.

IMO...this whole mess was created when "i am concentrating on coaching my team" statement was uttered 15 times. That had snowballed into this.... whereby everyday the press is speculating who is gonna be the next manager or that the yanks are gonna sell the club etc... Like it or not...rafa and hicks are not gonna send each other any christmas card. So for the time being...rafa has to play it smart and be cool. No point running to the press everytime he has an issue.

Anyway...what is done is done. The Yanks are coughing up the money for the CB....(so they do care about this club). They are keeping their end of the bargain (although i have to add i am a little disappointed at the prospect of losing mash)...Hope rafa does his part too......

If rafa wins us the champions league (my prediction this season  :p )...i am sure rafa and hicks will become best of friends.....until then..... he has to play it cool.
Last edited by The_Rock on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:51 am

The_Rock wrote:
zarababe wrote:
The_Rock wrote:Hope rafa shuts his mouth up when this deal is done....and stops playing mindgames with the owners (by using the press)....

I'd like to know exactly how Rafa is playing mindgames using the press? He expressed his concerns about our need to act swiftly in the transfer market - a market that he has significantly greater expertise over than either of our owners. Those concerns were perfectly legitimate at the time - is that not the sign of someone who desperately wants to improve his club?

I think it is.

Every post you make appears to be another little condescending dig towards Rafa.

Have some respect for the guy FFS, he's our manager, you'd think some of the comments on here about our own would be reserved for the likes of Gary Neville. It staggers me the attitude of some towards those who do their best to better our club.   :no
LFC2007

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:20 am

LFC2007 wrote:
The_Rock wrote:
zarababe wrote:

I'd like to know exactly how Rafa is playing mindgames using the press? He expressed his concerns about our need to act swiftly in the transfer market - a market that he has significantly greater expertise over than either of our owners. Those concerns were perfectly legitimate at the time - is that not the sign of someone who desperately wants to improve his club?

I think it is.

Every post you make appears to be another little condescending dig towards Rafa.

Have some respect for the guy FFS, he's our manager, you'd think some of the comments on here about our own would be reserved for the likes of Gary Neville. It staggers me the attitude of some towards those who do their best to better our club.   :no

I am just saying it as it is......you know..."keeping it real".

As for using the press......well there are lots of rumours going around that one of rafa's closest friend is playing the bridge between rafa and the press...and it is because of this, that the press are having a huge field day. Another rumour is the rafa's agent always puts out stories that inter milan or real madrid are interested in rafa during the transfer window...
Like i said this is just a rumour....you can believe it or not. I just want all this non-sense to stop. You don't see much speculation about fergie and wenger rite ?

But if you want proof.....wat does "I am interested in the england job"....

and uttering.."I am concentrating on coaching my team" 15 times mean ? Isn't that a sarcastic dig at the owners

What does "the americans don't understand about european transfer...there is no draft pick here" constitute ?

Like i mentioned....rafa is not as harmless as you guys all think he is. He knows what he is doing.... I just want him to stop all this nonsense.

Like them or not the yanks spend huge $$$ to buy this club. They are planning to build a new stadium.... You want me to show rafa more respect....well i think rafa should show the yanks more respect (as we debate here...i believe rafa has learnt ....cos he has stopped making stupid remarks to the press).

Like i said....i am just keeping it real here.....the rose tinted brigade might not like to hear that sometimes...
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill