Liverpool: Daniel Sturridge & Thomas Ince close to joining

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby aCe' » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:05 am

What a shame. Sturridge is no 12mill player and Ince for 6 mill ? Why arent we looking at players from Spain or Italy who would cost half as much and would at least be as good as the pair we've been linked with technically.

Rodgers needs a good window in January following the shambles in the market in the summer. As things stand, I'm not too convinced he'll have one.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:06 am

I'll be very happy if Sturridge comes in and it's great to see the club looking to get some business wrapped up early. He's got good pace, very quick feet and is adept at cutting in off the right and brings a goal threat. Can also do the job upfront in relief of Suarez or as partner. I think he'll fit Rodger's set-up and tactics perfectly.

Daniel Sturridge - All Goals 2011/2012 Season

always like to watch these compilations from a single match (below). Hot and cold performance against the mancs in this one but good to see how much he got involved in the game. I like his willingness to drop and show feet with players on his back and also good to see he is pretty confident off of his weaker right foot as well. Great timing if he comes in because Downing has suddenly found some form just recently.

Daniel Sturridge | vs. Manchester United | 31/10/2012
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:13 am

I have already made a number of posts stating my disgust at spending a ludicrous amount of money to bring in yet another overpriced 'local' signing.

That being said, when he does pass his medical and become one of us on Jan 1st, I really hope Daniel can knuckle the f**k down and show us something.

My hopes aren't high but as fans we just need to pray we are all wrong on this one.

There haven't been many times over the last few years where most of the knowledgeable "fan" base have been wrong on signings, especially the British ones.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Octsky » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:13 am

mart » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:13 pm wrote:Cant say i'm excited by either of them.

summed up by thoughts perfectly.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:25 am

Miserable fookers. Sturridge is a good young player. I'm not sure what sort of player you think we can attract to the club given our fall from grace the past 3-4 years? This lad will make us better. He's quick, he's got good feet (both left and right), he's versatile and he's an England international. The only shame is that we didn't take him as a makeweight in the Torres deal when he was first offered up.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:20 am

Scottbot » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:25 am wrote:Miserable fookers. Sturridge is a good young player. I'm not sure what sort of player you think we can attract to the club given our fall from grace the past 3-4 years? This lad will make us better. He's quick, he's got good feet (both left and right), he's versatile and he's an England international. The only shame is that we didn't take him as a makeweight in the Torres deal when he was first offered up.

:nod  Not the finished article, but I'd have taken Sturridge over the likes of Carrol or Borini any day of the week. Sturridge has good skills a determined attitude and could grow into being top player with us.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:32 am

Well looks like the Sturridge deal is close to being done and dusted with the medical happening today.

Not exactly running about the house with excitement over this one but I take Scottbot/woof's comments, we can't attract the top names nor can we afford to pay top dollar for players (with no CL money for some time now) so picking up young players with potential is the way we have to go.

We might be paying over the odds I think, Sturridge has proved nothing and has already been judged to be surplus to requirements at two other 'big clubs'.  The good thing is that if he doesn't work out and completely flops his market value will still be reasonable given that he's relatively young and is homegrown.

I hope he proves me wrong, gets a good run of games and starts banging them in.  Rodgers strikes me as probably being a good man manager and Sturridge strikes me as a complex enough character who needs someone like that managing him (which he didn't have at Chelsea) so fingers crossed this is the right club for him.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:48 am

john craig » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:32 am wrote:Well looks like the Sturridge deal is close to being done and dusted with the medical happening today.

Not exactly running about the house with excitement over this one but I take Scottbot/woof's comments, we can't attract the top names nor can we afford to pay top dollar for players (with no CL money for some time now) so picking up young players with potential is the way we have to go.

We might be paying over the odds I think, Sturridge has proved nothing and has already been judged to be surplus to requirements at two other 'big clubs'.  The good thing is that if he doesn't work out and completely flops his market value will still be reasonable given that he's relatively young and is homegrown.

I hope he proves me wrong, gets a good run of games and starts banging them in.  Rodgers strikes me as probably being a good man manager and Sturridge strikes me as a complex enough character who needs someone like that managing him (which he didn't have at Chelsea) so fingers crossed this is the right club for him.

I didn't think he was surplus to requirements at city, I thought he was out of contract and chose to leave
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Boocity » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:48 am wrote:
john craig » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:32 am wrote:Well looks like the Sturridge deal is close to being done and dusted with the medical happening today.

I didn't think he was surplus to requirements at city, I thought he was out of contract and chose to leave

Yep.  He ran down his contract because he wasn't getting games.  He wasn't getting games because he was surplus to requirements.  Simple really.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Raven » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:32 pm

The thing i like about Sturridge is he must know this is his last chance to be at a big club. He has a point to prove and wont have taken kindly to being dumped out of the chelsea side.

He shouldnt take time to fit in , should know how BR likes to play and has some real pace.

The more i look at it the better it gets.
The Raven

Postby fivecups » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:40 pm

Scottbot » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:25 am wrote:Miserable fookers. Sturridge is a good young player. I'm not sure what sort of player you think we can attract to the club given our fall from grace the past 3-4 years? This lad will make us better. He's quick, he's got good feet (both left and right), he's versatile and he's an England international. The only shame is that we didn't take him as a makeweight in the Torres deal when he was first offered up.

The thing about all these definitive opinions on these players is we really haven't got a clue. If I was going to make a decision to buy a player I'd want to watch footage on a Sh*t load of their games. I'd want to see their injury record and get the opinion of my medics. I'd want the input of my chief scouts and opinions of those in his current team. I want to see their stats and compare those to other potential buys and players in my current squad. I'd want to watch him live. I'd want to interview the hell out of him to assess his mental strength and commitment to our team. I'd want to put all that info together and only then decide if he was right to pursue.

We make the call based on the odd match on TV and the opinions of a few journos. We haven't got a clue.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:41 pm

haven't seen much, if anything of him really apart from that clip against the Mancs above.

He looks useful but I have to ask myself is this the kind of "striker" we need. He appears to drop deep a fair bit - doesn't look like one to lead the line and poach which imo is exactly what we need. Perhaps too similar to Suarez, I don't know, just going by that clip.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Johnny Boy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:33 pm

SKY saying Sturridge had a medical at Melwood this morning.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Until we get out of this new english hype we have been going on since Rafa left, we won't be going anywhere. Sturrige is like the other players like Henderson, Downing, Allen etc. Decent british players alright, but
not the types who drives your team forwards and up the table. And the prices is just exorbitant. Swansea has a better team and players better football than us and it is filled with pdutch and spanish players. Michu, the leading scorer in the PL cost Swansea 2 million pounds...
But we fork out 10-20 million for any decent britich player that comes along. Sickening...  :no
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:20 pm

I don't mind Sturridge at 12 million at all. I minded Henderson and Downing at 20 million each. And Andy Carroll at 35 million is just insane. Sturridge is at least relatively proven/ experienced in the premier league (compared to Andy Carroll and Henderson) and strikers usually cost more... so 12 million even though not cheap can't really be called exorbitant in today's market...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill