Why we should be above man united - + VIDEO TECHNOLOGY DEBAT

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed May 05, 2004 2:49 pm

i just wandered what you guys on here feel about bringing in technology to help aid referees during football matches. in my opinion, refereeing standards have been abysmal this season and refs need all the help they can get. i know referees are only human but i see them getting the majority of decisions wrong.

however i think the technology should be limited in it's use. goal-line decisions i.e. did it cross the line? would be a perfect use, but using it for offside / penalty issues would probably end up with managers calling for it's use every time - turning 90 minute matches into drawn out affairs.

what do you reckon?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:55 pm

Do you think with all the technology available, refs should use cameras for the important decisions, penalty claims and off sides... or if we give them the technology will the after match pint be a bit boring as there will be no controvesy!!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Matt D » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:15 pm

Not too sure. I think there are pros and cons to using technologgy in football. I believe if too much technology came into the game (free kicks / offsides / cards / corners) it could slow the game down not to American football standards but enough to stop the game being freeflowing and exciting. I think half the stuff you talk to your mates about the next day was what should have been and the refs poor decisions, imagine if the ref didnt make any bad calls or dodgy decisions, we wouldnt have anything to talk about.
Then again when it comes to Liverpool playing somebody else and something goes against us how pis*ed off we are. I suppose it is quite a hard job being a ref so somekind of technology could help them out with vital decisions ie when it comes to penalties and maybe whether a ball crossed the line
Matt D

Postby Paul C » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:19 pm

NO DOUBT................... YES :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stu the red » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:25 pm

Not in a million years.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER.

I can't believe people want to ruin this game. Contraversial decisions are part of the game, ALWAYS have been ALWAYS should be. When they introduce technology thats the day i stop supporting this game.
stu the red

Postby stu the red » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:47 pm

It will be a sad day when and if that happens. :(

That will be the day where i stop putting money into the sport. :(
stu the red

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:51 pm

I agree that referee mistakes etc are part of the sport Stu, and it annoys me to hear managers grumbling about decisions as they are part and parcel of the game and referee mistakes tend to even themselves out over time.

Maybe technology would help or maybe it would hinder the game, I don't know, but another development I would like to see is a continual improvement and greater professionalism of referees.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:06 am

If done correctly, using technology to help guage offside would be by far the biggest improvement.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stu the red » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:10 am

I agree with using technology to punish cheats after game.

Not during.

There should be a punnishment for teams and players.

However... not during a game. I feel this is the wrong way to go about it. As mick says, its down to cheating alot of wrong decisions.

I remember when Owen got booked for falling over in Sheff Wednesdays box, mayb ehe deserved it for past events, who knows?
stu the red

Postby L-type » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:53 am

Well in my opinion it could be applicable in penalty scenarios because a ref has to make a call either way, and he can review whether a foul was committed or the player should be booked for diving.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stu the red » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:59 am

Never. Never will approve, the second its implimented i stop my association with the sport. Its as simple as that. Thats how strongly i feel about it!!
stu the red

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:44 am

I think that we should have the technology.

It works in cricket, its only used when the ump (ref) cant make up his mind.  It can only be used for certain things, maybe combine this with an NFL ruleing that the Manager has to order its use.

My suggestion is that each team be given a low number (maybe 3-4) uses of video each game maybe to cause or prevent a penalty, to show whether or not the ball actually crossed the line etc.  and then if the ref thinks they are just being pedantic then he can choose to dissalow its use but it doesnt use up any of the teams 'quota' of video uses.

Hows that?
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby stu the red » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:13 am

Not a cat in hells chance will i ever back this. It would ruin football.
stu the red

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:28 am

How would it ruin it stu and leon?  It wouldnt cause any real change to the flow of the game no more than the countless times we see players feign injury when things arent going well or if they get tired is that what makes the game great?  How does it mean that the ref no longer gets to make decesions?
How is dealing with things after the game help?  A great example of the pointlessness of it was last season, Leiscter had to win to stay up, at 1-1 one of their players was sent off and they ended up losing 2-1, now after the game the red card was receded because they admitted it was a wrong decision.  Basicly they said sorry about the relegation and all that but tell you what your player wont be suspended for the next match.  Isnt that a bit late?  I say bring it in.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby lakes10 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:05 pm

Breaking News, Thursday December 16 2004
UEFA are to investigate whether video technology should be brought in to help match officials judge whether the ball has crossed the goal-line.
The move follows a plea from Italian FA president Franco Carraro who has urged European football's governing body to put pressure on FIFA to introduce such measures.

UEFA chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson said: "There have been discussions several times in the past and we want to open a new investigation in terms of whether technology is applicable.

"We must make sure that it helps rather than hinders any decision by the referee and that we do not have any breaks in the game.

"We can only do this in conjunction with FIFA otherwise it won't work."

Meanwhile, UEFA's executive committee have postponed a decision on formal proposals to encourage the local development of players.

The controversial measures would see clubs limited to 25 players of which four players would have had to come up through their own ranks, with a further four trained within the same national association.

Under pressure from clubs however, UEFA have agreed to put off a decision until February to allow more time for consultation.

going by what has been going on in some of our game of late i think its a good idea.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion