Owen to Arsenal?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:35 pm

Newspaper reports today claim that former Liverpool striker Michael Owen 'is in line for an amazing switch to Arsenal' in exchange for Jose Reyes.

It has been widely claimed that Reyes is homesick following recent comments in which he said: "Living in England is not easy for me and I have thought of giving it all up and returning home."

A so called close friend is quoted today as saying: "He's very unhappy - not with football but his life in England. He has his family with him but he's very much a village boy and cannot settle."

Real Madrid were linked with a move for Reyes during the January transfer window which prompted the player to say he was "happy" that the Real president was thinking of him.

Owen is frustrated at spending most of his time on the bench and it's no secret that his agents are considering his options back home in England.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:42 pm

I also heard that report today.

It all ties into the Reyes' homesick stories that have been circulating last week.

Owen going to Arsenal at some stage is very plausible, as he is precisely the sort of player Arsene Wenger has been looking for for years, the proverbial "fox in the box".
Last edited by JBG on Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:07 pm

imagine the deadly pair: henry-owen
can be the best pair in the world.
but we also have milan-mori :)
mid: alsonso-(hopefully)stevie :)
defense:traore (oops..)
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:32 pm

i don't think he's an arsenal type player. they don't really play with out and out strikers.

just imagine henry and owe upfront though. :O
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:34 pm

Imagine Owen, Baros, Morientes and Cisse as our forwards, oh well you never know :;):
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:35 pm

Owen will not want to\come back to England, as it would be admiting defeat...He will be in Spain next season as`well
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:56 am

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:Owen will not want to\come back to England, as it would be admiting defeat...He will be in Spain next season as`well

but rotting in the bench is a defeat already
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:26 am

If Owen was to return home from Spain he could always say: "I scored loads of goals when I was selected and from coming off the bench: its not my fault I wasn't picked" and could save a lot of face.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:28 am

He can't really win..

Come home and he has failed in Spain..

Stay and rot on the bench, behind Raul, who he is clearly better than.

Maybe a move to Barcelona would sort him out
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Ciggy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:35 am

Michael Owen believes he has already proved himself in Spain.
Despite failing to hold down a regular place in the Real Madrid side, Owen is happy with how his first six months have gone in the Spanish capital since his move from Liverpool.
The England international believes he has improved as a player for his experiences in Spain and has no regrets over making the move.
"If I came home tomorrow, I would know that I have proved my abilities," Owen told The Times.
"I think about it a lot because I've got a lot of time to think over here and especially when I come back to meet up with England.
"Every time I join up, I feel I am coming back as a better, stronger player.
"People wonder whether English players can make it abroad, particularly strikers, and I believe I've passed that test.
"I'm into double figures and I'm scoring goals as often as anyone in Spain considering my time on the pitch, or lack of it."
Owen also revealed he has no intentions to follow the example of team-mate David Beckham by finishing his career at Real, admitting he plans to return to England at some point in the future.
"It is where I was born and where I made my name," added Owen.
"I watch The Premiership on TV and I think 'that is my league'. But that doesn't mean I have any regrets about coming here.
"I would have hated to finish my career without playing abroad and I am going to make a real fist of it.
"I am learning the language as much as I can and, on the playing side, I want my first championship medal.
"We came second at Liverpool but were never really challenging for it. It is expected of us here."
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:20 pm

Jose Antonio Reyes says he is flattered by reports linking him to Real Madrid but has re-affirmed his commitment to Arsenal.

"I have seen the stories in the media linking me with Real Madrid,

"But not only am I under contract at Arsenal, I am happy here and committed to helping the team win more trophies."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:40 am

wasnt that reyes thing a wind up??
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion