Fabrice Muamba

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Great news to hear that he is now stable in hospital, after reading the reports online of what had happened I really was fearing the worst possible news. Hopefully he'll make a full recovery soon.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Brilliant news, lets hope for a speedy recovery!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:01 pm

BBC has him fighting for his life so I wouldnt take SSN as gospel just yet
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:12 pm

dawson99 wrote:BBC has him fighting for his life so I wouldnt take SSN as gospel just yet

Sky does have a record of jumping the gun with stories but hopefully in this situation they are correct. Its worth noting that the BBC story was last updated at 6.30, nearly three hours ago.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:24 pm

I have been on the bolton forum, where they seem to think it is a stable condition... still scary as sh!t, and just hope theres a happy ending here

Going to be a Joint Statement from Bolton Wanderers and the hospital at 9:30
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:35 pm

official statement:

A HOSPITAL spokesman has confirmed Fabrice Muamba is critically ill in hospital and in intensive care after collapsing during a game.

Muama collapsed shortly before half time in the Tottenham against Bolton FA Cup game at White Hart Lane shortly before half time earlier this evening, forcing the game to be abandoned.

Paramedics from London Ambulance Service took the 23 year old to London Chest Hospital near Bethnal Green - just over six miles away.

A hospital spokesman said: "Bolton Wanderers can confirm that Fabrice Muamba has been admitted to The Heart Attack Centre at The London Chest Hospital where he is in a critically ill condition in intensive care.

"No further information will be issued at this stage.

"The club and hospital request that the media and public respect the family’s privacy at this time."

Just shows, don't listen to SSN, disgrace of a channel
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:43 pm

That's just horrible.  Saying he's stable, but he's critically ill.. I'm sure many will be left confused at that.  Really hoping he'll pull thru this.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Boxscarf » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:55 pm

Hopefully he'll pull through, but I doubt he'll ever be able play football again.

23 year olds shouldn't be suffering from heart attacks. My thoughts go out to his family in this dreadful time.
Boxscarf

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:34 am

Hope he recovers ok. Did Arteta have a similar collapse a few years back?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:38 am

Shocking scenes, all best to him and his family

YNWA mate
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:59 am

Fortunately there was a cardiologist on the crowd who came onto the pitch and took over, hopefully he's save the lads life. Fingers crosed.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:01 am

Has anyone else noticed heart problems are mostly with african players?

When Kanu signed for Inter Milan years ago, with Roy Hodgson in charge, they found a hole in his heart that could cause problems. Ajax never picked up on this but Inter did.

Then of course we have had several other problems the most notable being Marc Vivien Foe, and of course the latest being Fabrice Muamba.

There is a lesson to be learned here.

Regarding Muamba though, lets hope he pulls through and is able to continue playing football.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:32 am

Shocking, my thoughts with Muamba and his family.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:38 am

Kharhaz wrote:Has anyone else noticed heart problems are mostly with african players?

When Kanu signed for Inter Milan years ago, with Roy Hodgson in charge, they found a hole in his heart that could cause problems. Ajax never picked up on this but Inter did.

Then of course we have had several other problems the most notable being Marc Vivien Foe, and of course the latest being Fabrice Muamba.

There is a lesson to be learned here.

Regarding Muamba though, lets hope he pulls through and is able to continue playing football.

There have been growing calls to scan the hearts of all professional athletes, because problems can go unnoticed before it's too late. If they scanned everyone, they could prevent this from ever happening by spotting problems before they develop...thing is, it's so rare that i don't think FIFA are prepared to do it.

I also think it's fair to say that Muamba's career is over. If he's lucky (and it's a big 'if' at the moment) he'll slowly recover and won't need any major surgery. However, depending on the damage, he might need a pace maker, open-heart surgery...or a heart transplant.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:54 am

Kharhaz, mate, you might also remember the Motherwell captain Phil O'donell, Besian Idrizaj and Dani Jarque, all who died to the best of my knowledge because of heart conditions. There was also that fella who played for Bolton years ago, another African player, who retired early because of a heart problem, as well as Lilian Thuram I believe. Statistically, I'm sure the sum of such cases represents a tiny proportion of the general population (though proportionally higher in elite athletes) but it's no less shocking when you consider that these guys are highly tuned athletes who you presume have been through rigorous screening programmes.

An ECG is one such screening method and a standard part of a medical; I've had one myself, but at the elite level you would think they'd go further and give them an echocardiogram.That's supposed to be a much surer way of detecting such problems, yet still we see young, ostensibly healthy athletes die suddenly of heart conditions. And not just footballers or athletes, but people in general.

I hope to god Muamba pulls through this and that more awareness is generated for the need for effective screening.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion