Arsenal board begin crisis talks with wenger

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:25 pm

++ Let me paraphrase this article in a few words: With Henry  gone and Wenger undecided, Arsenal wont commit large funds to buying in A1 players until stability returns. The Gooners are fooked. Bet their fan forums are reeling !! ++

Arsenal board begin crisis talks with Wenger

Arsenal's board will meet with Arsene Wenger this week in an attempt to get him to commit his future to the club.

There are growing concerns that the manager's refusal to sign any extension to his current contract is having a destabilising effect at Emirates Stadium.

Former Arsenal keeper and coach Bob Wilson believes the club are in a “minicrisis” following Thierry Henry's revelation he was joining Barcelona because Wenger won't commit beyond 2008, when his deal expires.

US tycoon Stanley Kroenke has already expressed his dissatisfaction at the events of the weekend and told the Arsenal board they must make it their priority to secure Wenger's future.

Kroenke, who paid £50million for a 12.19 per cent stake in the club two months ago, has now requested a meeting with leading shareholder Danny Fiszman.

The American businessman and sports mogul met chairman Peter Hill-Wood and managing director Keith Edelman in New York only 10 days ago, but now wants a better idea of the club's plans for the future.

Kroenke is being strongly linked with a takeover of Arsenal but the billionaire, whose offer to fund signings in the transfer market this summer was turned down by Hill-Wood and Edelman, is concerned over the direction the club are taking.

Wenger's mood will not have been improved by opposition from some board members to the possible return of Nicolas Anelka to replace Henry, who was undergoing a medical in Barcelona morning before finalising his £16m move.

The Bolton striker has expressed a desire to return to Arsenal but some at the club have still not forgiven the player for the nature of his acrimonious exit in 1999, when he engineered a move to Real Madrid.

Wilson insisted the situation needs to be sorted out as quickly as possible. He said: “The board need to make up their mind, with Arsene's guidance, whether they can carry on with the finances that come from the new stadium and the sale of Highbury or go the American way like Manchester United and Liverpool.

“I have no doubt that Arsene will honour his current contract, beyond that I can't say. But the club have given him everything that he's asked for — a new training ground and the players he's requested.”

Like Wilson, the club's fans are worried about the latest developments, especially as they have been without silverware for the past two seasons. A spokesman for the Arsenal Supporters' Trust, which represents many of the small shareholders who own up to 15 per cent of the club, said: “The Arsenal board must end the uncertainty.

“This means convincing Arsene Wenger that he has a long-term future with Arsenal, including the funds needed to compete in the transfer market.”

Wenger is expected to give his first comments on Henry's departure later today and supporters are waiting anxiously for his announcement.

The striker claimed that David Dein's departure as vice-chairman had dismayed him and left him in no doubt that it was time to move on — though he hopes that the supporters will harbour no ill-feelings.

He said: “Arsenal will always be in my blood and in my heart and I will always remember you guys.

“I said I was going to be a Gunner for life and I didn't lie because, once you are a Gunner, you will always be a Gunner. The club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

“I always gave 100 per cent. I hope you appreciate what I did here. I appreciated what you did for me.”
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:27 pm

its bad there at mo. no one will sign a 4 year del if they dont know who the manager will be in 12 months time and wenger will not be staying longer or else henry would have known about it.

henry hasreally put them i the sh!t with his quotes trying to give excuses for leaving. lets put in some bids for van persie and adeboyer now :p
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:29 pm

Wenger has never committed himself beyond a current contract.
puroresu

Postby Paul C » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:07 pm

Real must be rubbing there hands together in a Michael Owen styleee :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:10 pm

Yes but top players are getting the wrong signals with the current situation so even if Arsenal have the wedge to spend, why would a player buy into a wobbly structure? Their agents dont want to risk the value of their players declining being asscociated with teams going through termoil. I predict Arsenal will struggle to buy in real quality this summer.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:26 pm

Any betting folk on here know what sort of odds you can get on Spurs finishing fourth next season? :laugh:

With all this sh*t going on, Spurs, Everton or Bolton could feasibly break into the top 4. If their summer continues to go this badly, Arsenal may struggle to stay in the top 6. No-one in their right mind would go transfer there at the moment.

So, Anelka it is then. :laugh:
ivor_the_injun

Postby red37 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:49 pm

I'd miss Wenger's interviews and his customary opening gesture:

"Well, errrrrrrrrrrrr"  which usually lasts around 4.7 seconds on average, depending on how the results gone that day.

:D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Paul C » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:44 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Any betting folk on here know what sort of odds you can get on Spurs finishing fourth next season? :laugh:

With all this sh*t going on, Spurs, Everton or Bolton could feasibly break into the top 4. If their summer continues to go this badly, Arsenal may struggle to stay in the top 6. No-one in their right mind would go transfer there at the moment.

So, Anelka it is then. :laugh:

Everton?  ???

I'd say more like Blackburn if Benni McCarthy stays  :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:50 pm

Unless Wenger signs a new contract I can see them really being up shit creek come the start of the new season. TBH that doesn't seem likely at the moment if what Henry has said is true. Any top, top players that they approach may just think twice about moving there if this turmoil is going on.
However it'd be naive to think that a club of Arsenals stature couldn't still attract some quality signings this summer. They have got Champions League football, they are established in the upper echelons of the league, they have a fantastic new stadium and they are London based (which is considered way too often by players when moving :no).

I think one thing that seriously has to be resolved from their point of view and soon is this Kroenke business. Is he gonna take them over or not. That I am starting to think has been the catalyst for the recent events; Dein going (wasn't he dead against this guy coming in?), soon followed by Henry out the door and maybe we may see a taxi being called for Wenger.

These events although not directly affecting Liverpool can become very important in our upcoming season as they could just remove another obstacle between us and pushing for that league title. One less club challenging up there is always gonna be a big plus.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion