Ray kennedy - Read this and remember

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Sean » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:26 pm

Both the Liverpool and Arsenal hierarchies should be ashamed for not doing more to help Ray Kennedy.  Consider the vast wages we have wasted in recent years on players not fit to lace his boots.  Ray Kennedy was an icon in an era when football was all about the game, when Stan Bowles would leave the bookies at 2.40pm on a Saturday to dash to the QPR dressing room in time for kick off, when Bill Shankley would go into the Kop before kick off for a chat with the supporters, when Saturday nights were all about having a few pints and watching match of the day and when footballers played with passion and pride for their respective clubs.  Now there are managers and players making their fortunes in the premiership who can't even speak english.  Maybe i'm just getting old and nostalgia has blurred my senses but how can this be progress.

My outstanding memory of Ray Kennedy was in 1981 in the european cup semi-final against Bayern Munich.  After a 0-0 draw at Anfield Liverpool travelled to Munich for the second leg to discover that the Germans were so confident they had been busy giving their supporters advice on travel arrangements to Paris for the final.  Skipper Phil Tompson missed the game with injury and star player Kenny Dalglish had to come off with an ankle injury.  With 10 minutes left Ray Kennedy came to Liverpool's rescue when he scored a vital away goal to shock the home support.  Bayern scored a late equaliser but it was too late.  Liverpool were off to Paris.  Also, remember that it was his quick throw in that picked out his name sake Alan Kennedy for the winner in the final against Real Madrid.  Also, we always recall David Faircloughs winner against St. Etienne in '77 but it was Ray Kennedy's goal that revived the Liverpool cause to make it 2-1 and it was he who prodded the ball forward to set up Fairclough's goal that sealed the tie.  Finally, Kennedy popped up with the third goal at Molineaux in 1976 to clinch the title from under the noses of QPR.

Ray Kennedy is a legend, a man apart.  Living in Ireland I only get to Anfield once or twice a season but I'm surprised a mosaic has never been dedicated to Kennedy (just like the Houllier one from a few years ago) to remind the legend what he still means to us.  Ray Kennedy's plight has shown us all that health is wealth but surely the money men at his former clubs could offer something to make his life easier.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:28 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Talking about the Fa cup final does anyone remember Keegan coming out for the second half with his eye all red .
Jimmy Case chinned him for not tryin hard enough:D

Pity we havent got anyone like that now :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:46 pm

Sean wrote:Both the Liverpool and Arsenal hierarchies should be ashamed for not doing more to help Ray Kennedy.  Consider the vast wages we have wasted in recent years on players not fit to lace his boots.  Ray Kennedy was an icon in an era when football was all about the game, when Stan Bowles would leave the bookies at 2.40pm on a Saturday to dash to the QPR dressing room in time for kick off, when Bill Shankley would go into the Kop before kick off for a chat with the supporters, when Saturday nights were all about having a few pints and watching match of the day and when footballers played with passion and pride for their respective clubs.  Now there are managers and players making their fortunes in the premiership who can't even speak english.  Maybe i'm just getting old and nostalgia has blurred my senses but how can this be progress.

My outstanding memory of Ray Kennedy was in 1981 in the european cup semi-final against Bayern Munich.  After a 0-0 draw at Anfield Liverpool travelled to Munich for the second leg to discover that the Germans were so confident they had been busy giving their supporters advice on travel arrangements to Paris for the final.  Skipper Phil Tompson missed the game with injury and star player Kenny Dalglish had to come off with an ankle injury.  With 10 minutes left Ray Kennedy came to Liverpool's rescue when he scored a vital away goal to shock the home support.  Bayern scored a late equaliser but it was too late.  Liverpool were off to Paris.  Also, remember that it was his quick throw in that picked out his name sake Alan Kennedy for the winner in the final against Real Madrid.  Also, we always recall David Faircloughs winner against St. Etienne in '77 but it was Ray Kennedy's goal that revived the Liverpool cause to make it 2-1 and it was he who prodded the ball forward to set up Fairclough's goal that sealed the tie.  Finally, Kennedy popped up with the third goal at Molineaux in 1976 to clinch the title from under the noses of QPR.

Ray Kennedy is a legend, a man apart.  Living in Ireland I only get to Anfield once or twice a season but I'm surprised a mosaic has never been dedicated to Kennedy (just like the Houllier one from a few years ago) to remind the legend what he still means to us.  Ray Kennedy's plight has shown us all that health is wealth but surely the money men at his former clubs could offer something to make his life easier.

Absolutly great post Sean spot on with your comments mate .
It was the love of the shirt they wore that drove them on then mate . Not ive got to have that million pound car.

I think its a :censored: disgrace that the man is not being looked after well by our club. some might say thats down to the P.F.A well not in my eyes its not. When a hero and thats what he is has to sell his medals to pay for his care there is seriously something wrong
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:19 pm

I was watching cribs on mtv last night and they featured Robbie Savages mansion.  A very average premiership midfielder showing off his wealth.  Ironically, he failed to show his trophy cabinet.  When one considers the situation of Ray Kennedy by comparison, it really highlighted how football and the world has gone mad.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby afficionado » Sun May 24, 2009 10:05 am

The man was a myth. I was so disappointed when I realised that he had left Liverpool. You see, back then there was no internet and in Greece we could only watch an English match per week. So one evening I saw him dressed in the white strip of Swansea, a real shocker.
Fate has been very harsh for him. I didn't know that he had faced health problems. Personally, I think that he was one of those personalities who helped Liverpool become the undefeated club of the 80s.
Yesterday starts tomorrow, tomorrow starts today
afficionado

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge