4-2-3-1 - Its current flaws

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:21 am

ruskiy playmaker wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
ruskiy playmaker wrote:I remember Crouch playing as a lone striker against Arsenal last year and he scored a perfect hatrick.

That's a good point mate! But can you remember how poor the Arsenal back four were that day plus weren't they pretty patched up?

Yes, Arsenal were pretty crappy that day, but it was still impressive.  I just think that Crouch can be effective as a lone striker because he can hold the ball up well and bring in other players around him into play.

he can't control the ball for that long FFS , that day arsenal were pretty crappy and he was lucky to get a hat trick TBH , crouch shud not play up top alone , this formation suits torres has he has the pace and power
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:23 am

LFC2007 wrote:Let's not forget this side was fielded against Wigan in a 4-2-3-1 formation;

Pepe Reina 
Fabio Aurelio   
Alvaro Arbeloa   
Jamie Carragher   
Steve Finnan
Harry Kewell
Xabi Alonso 
Javier Mascherano 
Jermaine Pennant
Steven Gerrard ©
Fernando Torres

Rafa got lambasted for that one.

cos we did not take our chances to kill off the game
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:42 am

Gerrard has posed a similar problem for Benitez. Gerrard has many of the qualities required to be successful in that position. He has the engine, he has the power and the skill - but he does not have the game sense. Compare Gerrard's distribution to that of Alonso (at his best) or Xavi at Barcelona. It is not that Gerrard cannot make a pass - we know he can. But his timing and decision-making are questionable.

When Gerrard plays in the middle, Liverpool are laboured, ponderous and predictable. Driven by his urge to be in control, Gerrard drops deep - crowding his defensive midfield partner - demanding the ball from the back. By and large, opponents are happy to see him do this. The odd 60-yard ball apart, Gerrard does not really hurt opponents from such a deep position. His immediate reaction is to look long or cross-field. Spectacular when it works - easier to defend the more you do it in a game.

That part of the article is boll0x, yet most whp have already made an opinion on this agree with it, kin ell I must be watching another Gerrard or something.

I didnt read much further on, because the journo then goes on about Alonso who of course has been below standard now for two years running, sits even deeper then Gerrard and still says the Liverpool skipper doesnt have the same 'sense' I think it was as Alonso who timing and decision making is better, I reckon the journo is compairing that one brlliant game against Juve that Alonso had and is making the comparrisons, because Alonsos decision making, timing and laboured performances can not be compared to what Gerrard has produced for us over the years.

One thing I will say though which to begin with I wasntt sure because I personally prefered Gerrard in CM, is that he does look just as good pushed further on. We'll miss the box to box aspect of his game, but when hes got someone to lin up with like Torres he makes a real threat going forward and this has been really good to see.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby RedBlood » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:06 am

i feel we are a right full back (alves) and a right winger/forward (quaresma?) away from this formation being perfect

i love it...it allows us to play all our best players and we look like we can score goals against anyone at anytime without taking away our solid defensive work
i said at the start of the season we should try this formation....mabe i should be a manager?? :p

next season i would like to see:

reina

alves     carra     agger     insua

mascherano     alonso

quaresma                                 babel
                                                        gerrard

torres
subs:
arebola
skrtel
lucas
pennant
benyoun
crouch
nemeth

i feel if we ship some players (riise,auerillo??,itandje,carson,kewell,voronin,kuyt??) we should have the cash for these two players,
plus i feel bringing in only a couple of players and promoting insua and nemeth would be better then brining in 5 or 6 like in previous years

i dont feel we are far of a great team and if rafa allows this formation and the players to grow with it only good times lie ahead
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion