Porto v Liverpool - Post Match Disection

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:54 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Quaresma needs to cut out the fancy sh!t and concentrate on end product.

In my opinion.

you're right... but that depends on where he plays also... in the portoguese league almost everyone plays like that... if he plays in england he will have no choice but to change... like how ronaldo had to cut out his diving :censored:...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:10 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Apologies if any of my comments caused offense in the other Porto thread.

It was not intended.

I thought it was funny mate, especially the joke about Alonso being better than Mascherano  :p

:D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Not a great performance, but we managed to contain the champions of Portugal.

Neither team had many chances. They seemed to cancel each other out. Both lost possession too easily with sloppy passes. Again we conceded a penalty, but still haven't conceded from open play and haven't lost this season. We hit back fairly quickly.

The ref was overly fussy for Manhattan's liking.

Quaresma is resourceful and a cheat, and Manhattan is impressed.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:28 pm

Well I have seen the match.

Not a drama, I think that if we get Oporto in two months we'll win comfortably, in our stadium or anywhere.

Finnan and Arbeloa were put under pressure and made some mistakes. They pressed quite up in the pitch and we just didn't have the composture and calmness to carry the ball controlled.

In the first goal, the commentator blames Hyppia's pace, but I think most of the guilt can be delivered to the defending Babel and Arbeloa did previously. Hyypia was there to assist them, but they had made a mistake (Arbeloa pursued and tackled a player too far and should have maintained position instead).

Continental refereeings is a problem. Diving is a problem. But we should know better. The worst thing yesterday wasn't the penalty (it wasn't penalty). The worst thing is that we chose to tackle instead of hold position too many times. That costed us multiple free-kicks, and yellow cards. The main difference with european football is that. A foul allows the opposition to advance the back 4, it puts you deep, and most importantly it cuts your rythm of the game. Liverpool and specifically Pennant were not too clever in that sense. We didn't know to read the match, and they made an intelligent match. Anyhow, where I live it's said that the teams that are champions are those who don't lose even when they play badly. It wasn't a bad result.

Gerrard just needs a couple of matches more in his pocket. He's a superb player but not superman, nothing to worry about. Mascherano's game wasn't as bad as many have said IMHO. I liked him. He was providential in a free kick of the first half. Oporto had this situations well trained and they passed a short pass in order to have a long shot. Mascherano rushed from the wall to the man and blocked a very dangerous shot. Yeh, he sent some passes astray, that things happen when you haven't a good day and the oppo is pressing. Nothing to worry about.

I didn't like Babel yesterday, but it's difficult for wingers to have a good game when you don't dominate the game and you don't take the ball efficiently from the back. I think he'll be very useful this season. Reina did a mistake he doesn't use to do in a couple of situations. Pennant? Rafa should be angry with him, but Rafa should have spotted that Pennant's blood was warm and subbed him earlier.

The positives? Kuyt and Carraguer and the collective work that allowed us to end the game with 10 men and not a defeat. It was a good work as a team, and it's important to manage this situations aswell. So not a drama yesterday match. We are superior to Oporto and in a bad game we got a point at their home, with 10 men. It will be a good reminder that no matches are won without hard work.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby nasri » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:22 pm

[quote="Sabre"][/quote]
we have beaten besiktas 2-0 with a great facility

i think you are favorite for the next game liverpool-om but we are very confident
last time we haven't lost at liverpool,samir nasri will continue the tradition :cool:
nasri

Postby Owzat » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:06 pm

maguskwt wrote:
The_Rock wrote:Well 1 subpar performance in don't know how many games and the knives are out for mascherano ??? give me a break.

I thought Mash did his basic job pretty well (ie...protecting the back four).

As for Quaresma..... This guy can singlehandedly win us games. If Torres, Gerrard and Quaresma are in the same line-up we have 3 potential matchwinners.

We should sign players of this calibre.

not to mention we can play babel in front with torres where he can do much more damage than he is on the wing... quaresma would add alot of quality to our squad...

'subpar' an anagram of 'suparb'  :D
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby steviec » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:14 pm

Poor Performance?    that was without doubt the poorest performance by a Liverpool side I have seen in 40 years. Ok we scored !!!  but it is the quality of play that worried me. 

one attempt on goal in 90 minutes.  Torres looked scared and was diving like Brian Phelps, Pennant was like a headless chicken, Kuyt tried hard but still gives the ball away far far too easily (it was like Garcia had never left).   Benayoun should have started and he would have run the Porto defence ragged!!  Even Stevie G looked out of his depth. TGF Carra
Save money on expensive binoculars by standing closer to the object you are trying to observe
steviec

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games