Wireless modem - Some help please

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby andy_g » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:32 am

dunno about takin your laptop to the bog for reading, woolly. with a newspaper you're always ok if you get caught out without paper... but a laptop?

:O

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:13 am

D-Link are pretty good but all in all routers are very similar, we use D-Link in work and never had any problems, I also had the letter from BT and currently have an unmetered 1mb connection so I might bin them off cos I don't like the idea of having a download limit each month, BT are uping the connection speed for no extra charge cos people are leaving them cos of the download limits they are bringing in :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:25 am

andy_g wrote:dunno about takin your laptop to the bog for reading, woolly. with a newspaper you're always ok if you get caught out without paper... but a laptop?

:O

yeah, pretty sore on the old a*se - even worse for the laptop! :laugh:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:26 am

Paul C wrote:D-Link are pretty good but all in all routers are very similar, we use D-Link in work and never had any problems, I also had the letter from BT and currently have an unmetered 1mb connection so I might bin them off cos I don't like the idea of having a download limit each month, BT are uping the connection speed for no extra charge cos people are leaving them cos of the download limits they are bringing in :;):

didn't know they were bringing in download limits, i knew there's be a catch somewhere :(
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:19 pm

I've just PMed Jonnymac about this. Thanks for everyone's help. I'll post here again when I get it up and running.

BTW Wolly, exactly what model did you get and how is it set up?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:59 pm

Herr General,

It's made by D-Link and it is a DSL G604T, cost £80 at Dixons.

The way it's set up is - (I'm assuming you have broadband) - it plugs into your DSL filter in the socket where you'd normally plug in your modem. During the set-up process there's also an ethernet cable which goes from the wireless box into your pc (so you may have to cart your pc downstairs so it's within cable-length of the phone point during set-up)

The box is set up so that it automatically detects your ip address etc but you will need to get some basic technical info from your isp about your connection. There's a cd rom which installs all the software etc which is v. quick & easy. There's also a "dongle" which plugs into your pc to act as an aerial which comes with another cd-rom but my laptop has an internal aerial so I didn't even need to do that bit.

When I first looked at all the instructions I was a bit daunted cos I'm not really au fait with IT stuff but it was surprisingly easy. I've had it all set up for about a month now and I've no complaints at all, wherever I go in the house the signal is excellent. I could recommend it to anyone :)

It's even cured my wife's nagging (well, almost) cos I can now be a sad git and surf the net and sit in the lounge and watch telly with her at the same time :laugh:  (Not to mention the unlimited poo & learn opportunities that wireless broadband throws up :D )
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum