The next generation - Youngsters

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:22 pm

Every time a crop of youngsters comes through we live in hope of unearthing another Stevie.G or Mickael Owen or Jamie Carragher. Its been a few years since we have turned out a real diamond like those just mentioned. Warnock looks like he can be a good squad player, Potter has shown a few flashes and Mellor has some skills but i would expect to see both players at other clubs as season or two from now. I personally like the look of Zak Whitbread from the few games he has playeed this season.

I just wondered how people on here rated the young lads coming through at the moment? Are there any rough diamonds waiting to be polished? Rafa seems to be kken to give the Academy boys an opportunity. Do any of the local lads on here get out to watch the reserves or the Academy sides play on a regular basis? Would be good to hear an assessment from someone who has the kids play more often.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:17 pm

Short extract taken about the recent reserve game - Taken from RAWK

Late on Carson was forced to tip around the post, just a regulation save and that was that. I had finally seen us perform well. I had finally seen us win. It's funny to think that this team last season would have hardly contained a recognisable face to most, but now 7 starters have first team caps!

A much improved performance. First views on Carson: He seems to have 2 good feet (especially his booming right), he's vocal, he's got a presence and he did everything asked of him, although that was limited.

MOM. John Welsh. He and Potter were excellent and Mannix also chipped in very well. It could have been Potter but I'll go for Welsh due to the goal.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coolsobs » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:12 pm

Scottbot wrote:Every time a crop of youngsters comes through we live in hope of unearthing another Stevie.G or Mickael Owen or Jamie Carragher. Its been a few years since we have turned out a real diamond like those just mentioned. Warnock looks like he can be a good squad player, Potter has shown a few flashes and Mellor has some skills but i would expect to see both players at other clubs as season or two from now. I personally like the look of Zak Whitbread from the few games he has playeed this season.

I just wondered how people on here rated the young lads coming through at the moment? Are there any rough diamonds waiting to be polished? Rafa seems to be kken to give the Academy boys an opportunity. Do any of the local lads on here get out to watch the reserves or the Academy sides play on a regular basis? Would be good to hear an assessment from someone who has the kids play more often.

I know what you mean but out of jamie C, gerrard and owen only owen really showed his potential at a young age, i mean i remember seeing gerrard's first match and thinking that he wasn't good enough.How wrong i was.
coolsobs

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion