Liverpools summer transfer window and now the gripes

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:56 pm

I hate to be the dissenting voice on this but if I'm honest I'm not as impressed 'as some' as to our dealings

Let me explain ,firstly the Fekir debacle was frankly embarrassing ,the lad had obviously picked his shirt ( the pics confirming this doing the rounds simply look to authentic to dismiss ) and done his interview. So we then procure Shaquiri a good player but still a cheap alternative  when all is said and done ,we knew we had secured Keita last season for this coming one and this was supposedly the reason we let another transfer window pass us by albeit for Virgil,  I like every other Liverpool fan was delighted with the capture of Fabinho and he's certainly a step up from the departing Can and Alisson will go a long way to covering the Achilles heel we've left exposed season after season but we still need to significantly strengthen defensively and  intelligent and quality cover for either Mane ,Salah or Firmino is a must. I mean we have been linked with Barcelona's Dembele and Juventus's Dybala and a supposed war chest of something in excess of 250 million so to say if this truly is our dealings in this transfer window finished, then if truth be known I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be.

Sorry lads but I will still feel slightly short changed if this is our business done.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:42 pm

I think if we manage to get Fekir and offload the deadwood no one cpuld say it's been a bad transfer window. I think the champions league showed massively where we was weak and that was the Keeper and the Central midfield. Yes the Center mids are workhorses and press the ball well, but Madrid were superior in terms of class and keeping the ball.

I think Fabinho and Keita will boss the midfield.. and Alisson will be a massive step up between the sticks.

I'm delighted with the business.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:52 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:42 pm wrote:I think if we manage to get Fekir and offload the deadwood no one cpuld say it's been a bad transfer window. I think the champions league showed massively where we was weak and that was the Keeper and the Central midfield. Yes the Center mids are workhorses and press the ball well, but Madrid were superior in terms of class and keeping the ball.

I think Fabinho and Keita will boss the midfield.. and Alisson will be a massive step up between the sticks.

I'm delighted with the business.

If we manage to procure a top quality addition in attack whether its Fekir or someone that falls comfortably into that bracket, then I would be more content ,but bringing in more quality at the back is imperative in my opinion ,if 'God forbid' injury befalls the Big Dutch fella then we're royally ***** if the likes of Klavan are earmarked to deputize

I mean lets give Alisson a defense that will make his job relatively easy ,rather than throw him in behind the usual suspects and watch him work his arse off plugging the gaps.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:38 pm

We seem to be agressive in the market and our negotiations so sometimes that worksagainst, for example Fekir.

For once I’m really happy with what weve done however our competitors will soon start recruiting themselves and our work will always be measured against that.

We may see one or two more come in yet particularly as we are about to embark on people going out, those players could open up other doors for us, player swaps or bundled in with another package, or just more capital than we predicted.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Some people are never happy. Who gives a sh'it how much weve spent?
We can afford it and if the players do well, it was worth it!!
:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Still think Fekir will happen.... :;):
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Thommo's perm » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:44 pm wrote:Some people are never happy. Who gives a sh'it how much weve spent?
We can afford it and if the players do well, it was worth it!!
:buttrock

The money spent thus far has been the Coutinho fee and the money we made in the Champions League and our final league placing , IE in comings from sales and our success on the pitch ,I just cant help feeling a little deflated if Alisson turns out to be our last dip into this window given what we were promised by those that hold the purse strings

I expected to see at least three marquee signings and that's not inclusive of Keita, two of those signings I expected to strengthen us 'significantly at the back ,a world class keeper is one CHECK ,a quality partner for the big man has still to materialize ,put simply we cant afford to undermine the addition of Alisson by not  markedly improving those expected to defend in front of him.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Gripes?

Strange topic this one. There are a few questions marks over some of our new signings, but our squad is wholey stronger than last season.

remember the midfield in Every match during the run in last season;  Milner, Hendo and Wjnaldum !

Question marks over new signings are:

Fabinho : Only had 4 caps for Brazil and didn't go to the world cup. Is he really "world Class" or good enough to win us a trophy!?
Shaqiri:  Only purchased because the Fekir deal went sour. Can he be consistent enough for us, or will he be another of these players like Lallana who "dissapear", especially in big matches.
Keita: Has an african style. like Mane, the way he moves his demeanor etc , differently technically to a player like De Bruyne at City and other European players. How will he fare over a full season in the Premier League under more high intensity etc? Will he go missing in big matches for us!?
Alisson: Huge price tag and has to live up to it. If he starts making howlers or silly errors in matches, will people start hounding him etc.

these are questions that will be answered this season.

Generally though, the new signings look to have bolstered our squad and the areas/ problems from last season seem to have been addressed (Ie; Goalkeeper, Midfield and back up for the strikers)

I, am happy, lest just see how the boys perform.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Just to add ,with the reported (https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-set-divock-origi-price-14944134 ) to be sold  Liverpool are expected to recoup 100 million to offset against the 170 million outlay on new signings.  I'm actually praying the club has a few more signings to make because its still for all intents and purposes leaves us way short of the kind of statement by the owners we were promised with every single window that passed us by.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:19 am

It's not about how much net you spend is it though? We splurged the cash when needed on a CB and a keeper, smashing the world record for both these positions by a very big margin. As long as we have a strong enough squad to challenge for the title I dont care that we will be recouping 100 million and only spending 70 million net from selling dead wood. Right now I dont have that many complaints. Klopp and the owners have played a blinder this past 2 transfer windows. If we add Fekir that will be really somethimg but I'm happy as it is... Other than that, we need to clear the dead wood and that's a given...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:12 pm

maguskwt » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 am wrote:It's not about how much net you spend is it though? We splurged the cash when needed on a CB and a keeper, smashing the world record for both these positions by a very big margin. As long as we have a strong enough squad to challenge for the title I dont care that we will be recouping 100 million and only spending 70 million net from selling dead wood. Right now I don't have that many complaints. Klopp and the owners have played a blinder this past 2 transfer windows. If we add Fekir that will be really somethimg but I'm happy as it is... Other than that, we need to clear the dead wood and that's a given...

Mags ,I tend to agree, I don't give a f*ck what the final outlay is ,its about bringing in the players regardless of cost that would strengthen our team ,Keita ,Fabinho and Alisson do precisely that ,but that still leaves us short of the marquee players we were promised at the back to cover or partner Virgil and cover for injuries to Salah and Co.

I know it sounds like I'm whining but if we go into this season with Klavan, Matip  or even an untested Gomez as our alternatives then Alisson's procurement rather defeats the object ,albeit from Gomez the other two are just not good enough let alone competent defensively. As for up front we already have players who can step in if one of the front three are injured but their quality is far less apparent ,we need someone on the same wavelength as the two left on the field mate ,we need a a player who can seamlessly fit into that triumvirate and retain the same link up play and potency.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:44 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:12 pm wrote:
maguskwt » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 am wrote:It's not about how much net you spend is it though? We splurged the cash when needed on a CB and a keeper, smashing the world record for both these positions by a very big margin. As long as we have a strong enough squad to challenge for the title I dont care that we will be recouping 100 million and only spending 70 million net from selling dead wood. Right now I don't have that many complaints. Klopp and the owners have played a blinder this past 2 transfer windows. If we add Fekir that will be really somethimg but I'm happy as it is... Other than that, we need to clear the dead wood and that's a given...

but that still leaves us short of the marquee players we were promised at the back to cover or partner Virgil and cover for injuries to Salah and Co.

Are you DUMB or what pal!???
Have you been asleep for the past few weeks? Looks like it...

He signed Fabinho as he can play in defensive midfield or across the back four. He can slot in at CB as cover if needs be. Klopp bought him as he can play in multiple positions!

He signed Shaqiri as back up for our front three as the Fekir deal fell through. We also have sturridge who Can play there as well!

Pay attention will you when we sign players, You tool :p
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:05 pm

I still think we'll sign one or two, but probably waiting until we clear out the dead wood. Otherwise our wage bill will be rather high.

Am also hoping to see the likes of Brewster get some game times. Would be great if he could follow in the footsteps of TAA, who has cemented his place in the first team  :nod
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:10 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:12 pm wrote:

Mags ,I tend to agree, I don't give a f*ck what the final outlay is ,its about bringing in the players regardless of cost that would strengthen our team ,Keita ,Fabinho and Alisson do precisely that ,but that still leaves us short of the marquee players we were promised at the back to cover or partner Virgil and cover for injuries to Salah and Co.

I know it sounds like I'm whining but if we go into this season with Klavan, Matip  or even an untested Gomez as our alternatives then Alisson's procurement rather defeats the object ,albeit from Gomez the other two are just not good enough let alone competent defensively. As for up front we already have players who can step in if one of the front three are injured but their quality is far less apparent ,we need someone on the same wavelength as the two left on the field mate ,we need a a player who can seamlessly fit into that triumvirate and retain the same link up play and potency.

I get what you mean RBG, there is definitely still room for improvement in terms of the playing personnel. But there is also a limitation to how much you should chop and change before you end up with almost a brand new team that has to be re-trained from scratch to play according to the manager's philosophy. I don't want us to disrupt yhe flow that we have playing wise. Klopp's methods seem to rely on intense repetitive drills until the players are used to playing, passing and moving with one another. Probably explains why there seem to be alot of gap in playing level between our 1st unit and 2nd unit. Players like Matip needs to be given the opportunity to recover from injury and stake their claim in the 1st team. Young Players like Gomez needs to be given opportunity since they have shown alot of potential in the past. I think we have had enough new players for the summer.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:00 pm

maguskwt » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:10 am wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:12 pm wrote:

I get what you mean RBG, there is definitely still room for improvement in terms of the playing personnel. But there is also a limitation to how much you should chop and change before you end up with almost a brand new team that has to be re-trained from scratch to play according to the manager's philosophy. I don't want us to disrupt yhe flow that we have playing wise. Klopp's methods seem to rely on intense repetitive drills until the players are used to playing, passing and moving with one another. Probably explains why there seem to be alot of gap in playing level between our 1st unit and 2nd unit. Players like Matip needs to be given the opportunity to recover from injury and stake their claim in the 1st team. Young Players like Gomez needs to be given opportunity since they have shown alot of potential in the past. I think we have had enough new players for the summer.

Good post Mags ,I just don't want us to become so heavily reliant on players that we know have a proclivity for not making the most of the opportunities afforded to them and then shooting themselves in the foot with a performance that speaks volumes of their overall quality and 'more sadly' general application. I just feel two more quality players are needed if not to start then to deputize should the occasion arise.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion