World cup 2018

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 am

kazza » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:41 am wrote:As is the norm England wilted at the time they thought they had a chance and the media hype and built up expectations finally took their toll. When I woke up to  Skynews wearing vests ( even the woman) I knew we were in trouble, do that sh1t after you win the final not before the semifinal. At the end of the day they were not good enough, a team of runners without a clever player in the team. Big mistake making Kane captain as he was a little selfish and should have put the team before his personal glory as well as the fact he can't even speak properly, Hendo was much more a captain in the team than Kane.

Best thing now is for Croatia to win the WC as that would have the best impact on Liverpool next year in my opinion.

Kane was awful, he missed a great chance to make it 2-0 (Croatia wouldn't have come back from that imo) and then spent the rest of the game walking around like he was out for a stroll in the park. Alli didn't play well either but at least he rolled his sleeves up and put in a shift for the team, he must have run a half marathon attacking then helping out in defence.
Southgate should have seen that Croatia were struggling to deal with Sterlings pace and brought on Rashford to partner Raheem up top, he didn't have the bottle to take golden boy Kane off though.
For all the stick Sterling has took he was by far England's best attacker on the night and once he went off it was all Croatia.
Ironically the chance Kane missed was pretty much a carbon copy of Manducic's winner, it was at the same end as well.
Hopefully the fact that we haven't had many players at this WC will help us this coming season.
Good luck to Dejan in the final as well, during the build up to the game the press wouldn't shut up about that match at Wembley where Jurgen dragged him off after 20 minutes, he had Kane in his pocket last night though.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm

First decent team England faced all tournament and they go out ! The media 'once again' hailing England as glorious losers and lauding Southgate for working miracles  :laugh: Massive mistake removing Sterling and then Henderson ,Sterling who has been gash all competition 'arguably' was having his most productive game when he was withdrawn and Henderson was keeping the play simple but remarkably effective ,Croatia looked out on their feet in that first period of extra time and 15 minutes of playing the kind of football that any team in the premiership plays when they're chasing a game would have been enough to reach the final.

England will never have a better chance of reaching a major final ,everything fell right for them.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:54 am

So Qatar's 2022 World Cup is to be played November/December

Typically  I expect we will be on a great league run before this
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:30 am

Nov/dec? How will that work out i don't get it.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:32 am

The season will start earlier to incorporate a break and I think it might stretch till the end of may also  but not 100% sure.

I think any England fan would have gladly taken 4th before they jetted out so I suppose it was a success on that front. Didn't think they were all that good myself but no one will remember the teams they played just a semi final.

Would love to see Croatia win it but think France will prove to be too strong in the end.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:01 am

England had the second worst shots on target per game with 0.9 second to Iran. Getting to the semifinals without being able to come up with a whole shot on goal per game could be considered remarkable  :laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:44 pm

kazza » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:01 am wrote:England had the second worst shots on target per game with 0.9 second to Iran. Getting to the semifinals without being able to come up with a whole shot on goal per game could be considered remarkable  :laugh:

That's what you get with Stirling in the side. Wonder how his contract negotiations are going  :laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Really don't want the Frogs to win this ,I'm hoping Croatia and specifically Modric/ Rakitic have the game of their lives ,just hope Lovren hasn't already cursed them with labeling himself one of the worlds best defenders because we all know how that usually pans out !!!
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:50 pm

kazza » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:01 am wrote:England had the second worst shots on target per game with 0.9 second to Iran. Getting to the semifinals without being able to come up with a whole shot on goal per game could be considered remarkable  :laugh:

Semis flattered them mate if they were in the other route they would have been out earlier.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Great performance from France. Dodgy VAR decision aside, they're worthy winners.   :buttrock
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:30 pm

Yup worthy winners in the end well played France.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:43 pm

redshade » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:50 pm wrote:
kazza » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:01 am wrote:England had the second worst shots on target per game with 0.9 second to Iran. Getting to the semifinals without being able to come up with a whole shot on goal per game could be considered remarkable  :laugh:

Semis flattered them mate if they were in the other route they would have been out earlier.

I know, the only clever thing that England did was lose to Belgium in the group stages
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:04 pm

Spare a thought for Dejan who has now lost a Champions League final and a World Cup final within weeks of each other.
In both finals Lady Luck went against his team as well.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:22 pm

Yup its been a bad few months for him. Great achievement for both club and country.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:24 am

Never too many fairy tales in modern sport especially the World Cup.

Shame would have been nice to have seen Croatia spring an upset and they certainly didn't get the rub of the green.

Except for deciding whether a ball has crossed the goal line, I really could do without VAR influence especially as it doesn't pick up diving
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion