Dominic Solanke - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Doeboy wrote:Problem he has is as a young player he really needs a run of games. Difficult to expect too much from him when he is dropped into the first team here and there. Have to remember he has had very little experience at this level. Personally, think he needs a season long loan at a club where he gets to play a good run of games and see where it takes him as he is going to have very limited opportunities with us and it will hinder his progress long term

Agree that he needs game time but he shouldn't be getting it here. We can't afford to be playing lads like this with absolutely no top flight experience and expect to get results. Whoever at the club thought we would somehow be stronger replacing Origi with him is a muppet. We did need an upgrade on Divock but unfortunately Dom was never going to be that.

I didn't expect much from the lad this year anyway because he never even kicked a ball in the prem and I doubt he will be any better next season so either we sign at least 2 strikers and hold on to him or we loan him out. We are starting to build some consistency so need a better squad to cope, especially in the back end of the season.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:36 pm

I like Solanke and I think its just about getting games under his belt and becoming more familiar with the set up ,I like the way he constantly gets into scoring positions' Ing's take note' and how even at such a young age and relatively inexperienced he knows how to find space in the box to find his teammates.I think the lad will be a good addition eventually but we're probably looking at a strong pre season and a handful of opportunities to cement that belief.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Maybe I am cynical but I begin to wonder if Solanke was brought in on a free with a view to a sale, flip him quickly.

I know he’s contracted to 2022 and maybe they do rate him, but Woodburn to me looks a better prospect and player now, Brewster is just a little behind but coming through, then Wilson whos doing great at Hull.

Not as if we dont have young guys ready to step up, Solanke would bring a good price in the summer and we insert a sell on. I dont think we need to persevere, just bung £15-£20m on him with a 40% sell on and reinvest the cash.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:00 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:36 pm wrote:I like Solanke and I think its just about getting games under his belt and becoming more familiar with the set up ,I like the way he constantly gets into scoring positions' Ing's take note' and how even at such a young age and relatively inexperienced he knows how to find space in the box to find his teammates.I think the lad will be a good addition eventually but we're probably looking at a strong pre season and a handful of opportunities to cement that belief.

I don't know mate.

Given our  preferred "style" under Klopp , how does Solanke fit ? Deffo light years away from a sub for the likes of Firmino.

Is he to be part of a plan B approach ? i.e.  just hoof it up too an advanced big fella up front ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:17 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:00 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:36 pm wrote:I like Solanke and I think its just about getting games under his belt and becoming more familiar with the set up ,I like the way he constantly gets into scoring positions' Ing's take note' and how even at such a young age and relatively inexperienced he knows how to find space in the box to find his teammates.I think the lad will be a good addition eventually but we're probably looking at a strong pre season and a handful of opportunities to cement that belief.

I don't know mate.

Given our  preferred "style" under Klopp , how does Solanke fit ? Deffo light years away from a sub for the likes of Firmino.

Is he to be part of a plan B approach ? i.e.  just hoof it up too an advanced big fella up front ?

Sometimes you just see aspects of a players game were you think 'hold on there could be a player here' I think Its way too early to make rash assessments of his ability based on limited game time but I genuinely feel the lad has the talent to make the grade. I just think being paired with Ing's upfront done the lad little or no favors and yet he still found himself in scoring positions and made space in the box. 

I just think he needs that first league goal to regain that confidence in his own ability and raise the bar even higher ,not unlike Crouch really but fortunately he was afforded many opportunities by Benitez to end his barren streak.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:23 pm

That was part of the problem on Saturday Woof. With the quality on the ball of Trent and Robbo replaced with Klavan and Clyne who are out and out defenders, the build up play was poor and we never got behind them in the wide areas in the final third. Everything was in the air and straight down Solanke's throat while he was surrounded by several blue shirts. I don't think either Solanke or Ings are long term deputies/competition for Firmino but they are being harshly judged. If they did get some game time in our best 11 by just replacing Firmino up top they'd look much better.

I'd like to see Solanke go out on loan to a promotion chasing side in the Championship next season. If he can play all season and get a bag full of goals he'd get a chance to come back here and be a valuable squad player who we could rely on.
Eagle

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Eagle » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:23 pm wrote:That was part of the problem on Saturday Woof. With the quality on the ball of Trent and Robbo replaced with Klavan and Clyne who are out and out defenders, the build up play was poor and we never got behind them in the wide areas in the final third. Everything was in the air and straight down Solanke's throat while he was surrounded by several blue shirts. I don't think either Solanke or Ings are long term deputies/competition for Firmino but they are being harshly judged. If they did get some game time in our best 11 by just replacing Firmino up top they'd look much better.

I'd like to see Solanke go out on loan to a promotion chasing side in the Championship next season. If he can play all season and get a bag full of goals he'd get a chance to come back here and be a valuable squad player who we could rely on.

Agree with your summary of his performance against the Bitterz but I think Klopp brought him in for a reason and only with game time will we see why the manager views him as a coup for the club ,I don't think we can go far wrong with the managers judgement ,I mean you only have to look at how many fans were willing to write off Karius before he got a run of games. Fortunately Solanke has bags of time and is young enough to confirm the managers belief in his ability.

Liverpool Echo 17th Nov 2017

Jurgen Klopp believes Liverpool striker Dominic Solanke has a big future for both club and country.

The 20-year-old frontman returned to Melwood on a high this week after making his senior England debut against Brazil at Wembley.Solanke has only made one start for the Reds since his summer move from Chelsea but Klopp was delighted to see him given the chance to shine by Gareth Southgate.

“It was no problem. Dom is a fantastic guy,” Klopp said.“It was 100% right. It was a situation where a few players were missing but he will be a future player for England, I am 100% convinced of that.
“He has got everything you will need. Okay, in this moment it’s really early. He has had a number of games for us but not always many minutes.

“You saw in those 15 minutes (against Brazil) that he got involved immediately. He could have scored.

“I am happy for him. Next time if he is involved it will be no problem. Boys like him, Joe (Gomez), (Tammy) Abraham, (Ruben) Loftus-Cheek. They are the future for England. It is cool. Dom has quality and that’s good.”

Solanke, who was crowned player of the tournament when England Under-20s won the World Cup back in June, was attracted to Liverpool by Klopp’s willingess to put his faith in youth.

He has already clocked up 10 appearances for the Reds this term but nine of them have been as a substitute. Solanke, whose transfer fee has yet to be decided by a tribunal, is set to be back on bench duty for Saturday’s Premier League clash with Southampton at Anfield.

“Apart from his football skills, his character is absolutely outstanding,” Klopp said.“He is completely calm with the situation. He had one game from the beginning, okay we lost (against Leicester in the League Cup) but he did really well.

He is really involved, an important member of the squad. That’s what he wanted. He wants to be closer. All the rest he has to do by himself. Sometimes you need a little bit of luck to be playing and scoring.“It hasn’t happened too often but he’s this close and I am really happy to have him here. He is doing so well and he will not be disappointed if he doesn’t start at the weekend.

“He doesn’t feel like ‘roll out the red carpet’. He is a smart lad, very football smart and that makes him easy to work with.”

If a manager as astute as Klopp says he's football smart then that's exactly the type of player you retain for the future.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:41 pm

He doesn't look that good, but to be fair to him he is young and has hardly played for the first team at all.

Knowing our luck, we'll flog him to a lesser club and he'll flourish.

I'm in two minds if he should stay or go. Klopp doesn't fancy Sturridge and Origi, and they are on the way out. He got rid of Benteke also, and brought in Solanke and Ings, so I'm not sure what our managers plan is.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Mon May 14, 2018 12:29 pm

It’s no surprise but thought he looked much better playing in a full strength side rather than an 11 that has been heavily rotated which has been the case when he has previously started. As always his work rate was good and there was also some top quality link up play. He topped it off with a goal and assist. You get the feeling he’s not fully confident yet and still feels like a boy playing amongst men. I think a season on loan in the Championship where he bangs in the goals and you’d be looking at a different player and someone who is a serious option off the bench.
Eagle

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:27 pm

Looks like after his loan move to Palace fell through Brighton and Bournemouth and competing to complete a perm deal. Good money if it happens.

@_pauljoyce
Bournemouth looking to sign Liverpool's Dominic Solanke on a permanent deal

@_pauljoyce
Solanke fee would be £19m plus add ons
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:18 pm

Dominic Solanke joins Bournemouth from Liverpool for £19m
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:37 pm

Reg » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:18 pm wrote:Dominic Solanke joins Bournemouth from Liverpool for £19m

THAT is a great piece of business for LFC. A few bob we can use if needed in the market now.... Or else hopefully Brewster will challenge in the next few weeks.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby devaney » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Sorry DOMINIC I know you are only young but unfortunately you have never lived up to the somewhat lofty expectations. I wish you all the best at Bournemouth.

Solanke £19m and Ings £20m to come later this year. That takes our net spend for the last 3 years down to £68m if we don’t buy anybody in January!! Sh*t you can’t buy a half decent striker for that amount these days  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:01 pm

I think he is going to do well in a team where he is playing regularly football
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:01 pm wrote:I think he is going to do well in a team where he is playing regularly football

Agreed. If he gets some regular football I think he'll develop quite well. Might not quite be a good enough for us but he's better than people realise.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion