Joe Gomez ruled out of Champions League fina

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Tue May 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Joe Gomez ruled out of Champions League final while Liverpool defender will also miss World Cup finals

Chris Bascombe
8 MAY 2018 • 2:06PM

Joe Gomez, the Liverpool defender, has seen his Champions League dream shattered by an ankle injury which has also ruled him out of this summer's World Cup finals.

The youngster has undergone an ankle operation. He had not fully recovered from the problem he sustained while on international duty with England, and it has been aggravated in recent Premier League games against West Bromwich Albion and Stoke City.

Gomez was a shadow of himself in those fixtures – he was unfairly criticised for his performances given the circumstances as he was playing in pain – and now he has paid a heavy price.

Not only will Liverpool be without the player for their final home game against Brighton – a must win game to ensure Champions League qualification next year – but also the final against Real Madrid on May 26.

For Gareth Southgate it is also a significant setback. Southgate’s experiments with three centre-halves have been encouraging, and Gomez is a player who could comfortably slot into the position.

He looked a certainty to make the squad before picking up the injury in the early minutes of England’s friendly win over Holland in March, however the player confirmed on Tuesday afternoon that he will not travel to Russia.

"Gutted to confirm that my season for both club and country is over having undergone successful ankle surgery," Gomez said in an Instagram post.

"Been a tough few weeks trying everything possible to be available on the pitch to help the team. I’m going to do all I can to get back and be in the best possible shape for pre-season. The focus now is to support the team in the two biggest games of the season!"

It is the latest in what is becoming a catalogue of injury setbacks at Anfield. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s serious knee injury ended his season and World Cup chances.

Adam Lallana has had numerous problems despite his recent return from a hamstring issue. It won’t be pre-season until he is match fit, even if he is training again.

Emre Can is hoping to step up after a back problem. Joel Matip has missed the climax to the campaign after thigh surgery.

Liverpool’s squad is being stretched to its limit. So too is Southgate’s
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm

Is he Mohammed Salah?

:eyebrow
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 08, 2018 3:57 pm

Unfortunate for Joe, CL finals and World Cups don't come around every day.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Tue May 08, 2018 6:08 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 08, 2018 2:57 pm wrote:Unfortunate for Joe, CL finals and World Cups don't come around every day.

Come on mate he wouldn't have played anyway...I think Gomez has played his last game for Liverpool.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:23 pm

Unfortunate for Joe, but like only me says, he probably wouldn't have even played.

Also, did this really need its own thread?
Last edited by damjan193 on Tue May 08, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 pm

That is sad for Gomez after coming back from a long lay off.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue May 08, 2018 11:05 pm

That article makes it sound like he is such an important player for us  :D   

He definitely wouldn't have started but if we needed him he could have and that would have been better than someone from the academy. Maybe it will hurt England in the WC as I think Southgate favours him as part of a back 3 so gutted for the lad that he will miss out on both.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 08, 2018 11:14 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 08, 2018 2:57 pm wrote:Unfortunate for Joe, CL finals and World Cups don't come around every day.

Well said mate.

I credit the lad for playing through the pain barrier knowing he would field the lions share of abuse from some fans on his impaired displays and for putting club before country in going for the operation early,like you say he must be devastated  missing a Champions League final and a competition I believe he would have made the cut for as Southgate rates him highly.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed May 09, 2018 2:39 am

The point is another 1st teamer won't be on the bench: come 75' and the lads are knackered we'll have one less defender to bring on!

It's a throw back to the Shanks days of turning up with the 1st XI plus 1 sub!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu May 10, 2018 4:48 pm

only me » Tue May 08, 2018 5:08 pm wrote:

Come on mate he wouldn't have played anyway...I think Gomez has played his last game for Liverpool.

Are you serious? He's young and like Trent is still learning his trade. But he's shown on plenty of occasions he has a big future here. I'd be very surprised if Klopp wanted him gone.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion