Reserve and academy news - All posts here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:36 pm

Liverpool U18 captain Tom Brewitt says the future is bright under Brendan Rodgers

EXCLUSIVE: Under-18s captain motivated by Rodgers' commitment to youth
Friday 06 March 2015

Despite a poor start to this season’s Premier League campaign, Liverpool’s form since the turn of the New Year has been formidable and they remain the only unbeaten team in the top flight in 2015.

After losing three of their first five matches, fans feared the worst but a change in tactics from Rodgers and an improvement in his players have seen them close in on a Champions League spot.

The Reds, who currently sit in fifth place following Wednesday’s victory at Anfield, have fielded a youthful team this season and many were surprised at the ease in which these young footballers teased the champions, Manchester City, a week ago. Out of the 28 players to represent Liverpool’s first team squad in all competitions this season, 17 of those players are 25 or younger. The average age of the Liverpool squad is just under 25 and eight of the players in the squad are 21 or younger. Brewitt in action for the Under-18s

As the first team squad’s youth shines, Liverpool’s prestigious academy continues to produce stars. Jordan Rossiter, Danny Ward, Ibe, Cameron Brannagan and Jordan Williams have all been included in the first team squad this year, whether it be in the Europa League, the League Cup or the Premier League. They have progressed through the academy and made the all-important step up to the Melwood training ground with Liverpool’s elite.

Tom Brewitt, who currently captains the Liverpool academy Under-18’s side, has played alongside the likes of Jordan Rossiter throughout his development and admitted the youngster’s success gives him hope.

“When you see players like Jordan Rossiter and Jordan Williams, who I train with week-in-week-out, go on and play for the first team, it shows you how close you are and how hard you’ve got to work to get there,” he said.

“I’ve played with Jordan [Rossiter] since he was eight and he’s worked hard to get to the top – he’s obviously talented, but he’s worked hard too. All the players who get to Liverpool are talented because of how big the club is but once you’re here, it’s all about doing everything you can to get to where you want to be.”

Brewitt joined the Liverpool academy when he nine after a successful trial. He’d captained the Liverpool schoolboys and though he’d been rejected by the club on two previous occasions, had finally been selected to join their development school. He’s progressed through the age groups at Liverpool’s academy and captained the England Under-17s in Belgium last January before picking up an injury which halted his international career. The defender has trained with the first-team but is still to make his debut

“I’ve not played for England since I got injured and that still hurts a bit but my main focus is here at Liverpool. I want to keep training hard and push to get into the Under-21s and to get more opportunities to train at Melwood.”

Rodgers has always been positive when it comes to developing the club’s youth and has demonstrated his willingness to use younger players already this season. He handed first team debuts to Rossiter and Williams in the League Cup clash against Middlesborough and 18-year-old Brannagan was also named in Liverpool’s squad against Besiktas in the Europa League, although he didn’t make an appearance.

Rodgers was also responsible for handing Jordon Ibe his debut in the Premier League against Queens Park Rangers in May 2013. The Liverpool Under-18s captain hopes that one day, Rodgers could hand him his Liverpool debut.

“The manager does his best to make sure we’re at Melwood, training with the first team, as much as possible and it makes you feel a lot closer. He incorporates the academy into the first team’s plans – the manager is great like that.

“When the manager says he’ll turn to the youth it gives everyone belief that if you keep working hard and work on your weaknesses to improve your game, he’ll give you a chance to earn his trust.

“Every time you go to Melwood you have to do well. Not only fit in – but do well. You’re not just there to make up the numbers, you’ve got to go there and make a statement that you want to be selected at the next opportunity.”

Brewitt looks up to the likes of Jamie Carragher, a former defender, like the young captain, who went on to produce over 700 appearances for Liverpool. The youngster admitted his ultimate dream would be “to captain Liverpool and lead the team out at Anfield.”

Under Brendan Rodgers, his dream is kept alive.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Liverpool forward Jerome Sinclair is set to join Wigan on loan
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Another player to watch tipped for a big future ,astutely poached from Arsenal ,it seems our youth scouts are finding some real gems  :)

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:58 pm

Friday night Liverpool u21's beat the Hammerz 5-0

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:30 pm

Ryan Kent : Happy To Announce I Have Extended My Professional Contract With Liverpool Football Club

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:30 pm

Liverpool's Harry Wilson on the bench for Wales U21s tonight
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Fri May 15, 2015 4:35 pm

Liverpool midfielder Cameron Brannagan has agreed a new deal at the club
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:27 am

Rumour that Jerome Sinclair has turned down a new deal and asked to leave

If true would be a massive blow, he is a class player
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:00 pm

I don’t think Sinclair is good enough to break through at us. His movement, intelligence, touch and all round technical ability are just not good enough. He’s good enough to have a decent career though and if he hadn’t had so many injuries over the past 2 years he would probably be in a position to make an impact at a Championship club this season via a loan move.

From his point of view he is probably thinking the club just bought in a 20 year old for £10mil (Origi) and a 22 year old for £5-10mil (Ings), and Benteke will be joining Sturridge as the senior strikers at the club. He’ll be 19 soon and much like many of or other prospects I doubt the club have been able to offer him a convincing development plan. His best chance of having a career in the Premier League is via the lower leagues.

Brad Smith and Marc Pelosi both turned down extensions last year to try and get first team football elsewhere. If we don’t start using the loan system more often and to better effect it wouldn’t surprise me if academy players turning down contacts becomes a trend.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:42 pm

Sinclair won't make it at the highest level from what I've seen.

No loss.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:31 pm

C-R » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:30 pm wrote:Ryan Kent : Happy To Announce I Have Extended My Professional Contract With Liverpool Football Club

I just popped into this thread to praise this lads performance yesterday and noticed this post of CR's from last March. It's great to see that he has recently signed a contract extension because he looks a hell of a prospect, In fact looking at his first touch and his ability on the ball you'd think he was South American not English.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:07 am

Liverpool midfielder Sheyi Ojo joins Wolves on loan after signing long-term contract
August 6, 2015

Liverpool have confirmed their midfielder Sheyi Ojo has joined Wolverhampton on loan until the end of the season after signing a new long-term deal.

The 18-year-old was included in the pre-season squad by the Reds manager Brendan Rodgers and was even on the scoresheet for the Reds during their 2-1 victory over Swindon Town in the last friendly fixture.

Ojo would have struggled to get regular playing time at Anfield and has joined Wolves on a season-long loan deal to get regular playing time.

“Sheyi Ojo has today signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool – and also joined Wolverhampton Wanderers on a youth loan until the end of the season,” a statement read on Liverpool’s official website.

Ojo impressed the former Swansea boss in the pre-season tour. The midfielder has set his sights on getting regular playing time with the Championship club in order catch the eye of Rodgers, so that he can break into Liverpool’s first team once his return from the loan spell.

He even admitted the Northern Irishman has urged him feature regularly during his time at Wolves.
“Brendan Rodgers told me that he wants me to get more experience and Wolves is a great place to do that,” Ojo told Wolves’ official website.

“It’s a club moving forward, trying to get promotion. I’m just really happy to be a part of it; hopefully I can make a good impression and do well this season.

“It’s a really good club. It’s got great facilities. All of the players are nice, they have welcomed me to the club, and the staff are brilliant as well.

“I’ve heard a lot about the attacking force with Benik Afobe and Nouha Dicko so I’m looking forward to linking up with them. Hopefully we can create some problems and score some goals. Everything’s going well, I’m just looking forward to starting the season this weekend.”
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:42 pm

Harry Wilson has scored five goals and provided three assists (and won a number of penalties) in seven league starts for Hull since moving there in January. I'm sure Klopp will look closely at him in pre-season and consider whether it's worth keeping him around as an understudy to Mo. He's also a goal scoring left footer who plays in the front 3.
Eagle

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:51 pm

One for the diary.

FA Youth Cup final date confirmed

The FA Youth Cup final between Liverpool and Manchester City will take place on Thursday April 25.

Kick-off at City's Academy Stadium is scheduled for 7.45pm BST and the game will be shown live on BT Sport.

After a change in the competition format this season, the tie will be one leg only with extra-time and penalties if necessary.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Thanks for sharing PC
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)