C Palace Vs Liverpool  31/03  12:30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Eagle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Trent was a midfielder for the vast majority of his youth career. Played mainly as a CM. He only started playing RB for the U23 just before he broke into the first team squad. Still learning his trade as a RB. At the beginning on the season he kept putting his hands all over the opponents and giving away fouls and he's improved in this area. I'm sure he'll improve in his positioning too. He is well worth investing in.
Eagle

Postby redshade » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:24 pm

Huge 3 points that was, soo glad we got them. If we were our old self we would have lost today.

Spur vs Chelsea a draw would be ideal.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:25 pm

Eagle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:04 pm wrote:Trent was a midfielder for the vast majority of his youth career. Played mainly as a CM. He only started playing RB for the U23 just before he broke into the first team squad. Still learning his trade as a RB. At the beginning on the season he kept putting his hands all over the opponents and giving away fouls and he's improved in this area. I'm sure he'll improve in his positioning too. He is well worth investing in.

I don't think anyone is trying to say the lad hasn't got a big future in the game, Wednesday night won't be the place for L plates though. As we speak City are ripping Everton to shreds at Goodison, it's 3-0 at HT but it should be about 6.
City had 82% possession in the first half.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:57 pm

If Clyne hadn't been injured all season and Gomez hadn't picked up an injury on international duty I'm sure we wouldn't be relying on 19 year Trent on Wednesday. But there are only so many RBs we can stock. I think he'll actually prefer playing against a smaller player and a team that passes it along the floor rather than a big lad like Zaha in a side that plays ***** football. But whoever plays on the right hand side of a central midfield will have a big responsibility to help him out. I'd go for Milner.
Eagle

Postby damjan193 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:32 pm

7_Kewell » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:31 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:28 pm wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^

Fair question, given the state of the squad we we're left with few options for today's game .

My comment was not about today's selection, (that probably sailed over your head) it was more about TAA's current DEFENSIVE abiltiy at RB.

:kungfu:

If Stu was still around, he'd probably say something along the lines

'if TAA hasn't f*((king learnt the basics of defending at 19, he never f&*(king will'  :D

Yeah, I thought the same :D, God bless that crazy soul.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:33 pm

Eagle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:57 pm wrote:If Clyne hadn't been injured all season and Gomez hadn't picked up an injury on international duty I'm sure we wouldn't be relying on 19 year Trent on Wednesday. But there are only so many RBs we can stock. I think he'll actually prefer playing against a smaller player and a team that passes it along the floor rather than a big lad like Zaha in a side that plays ***** football. But whoever plays on the right hand side of a central midfield will have a big responsibility to help him out. I'd go for Milner.

City will undoubtably be targeting him, the likes of De Bruyne and Silva will be threading balls in behind him all night trying to exploit his tendency to ball watch, for an athletic lad he can be turned as well as Rashford showed.
He is going to need help because City will be going out of their way to get after him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:23 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:33 pm wrote:
Eagle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:57 pm wrote:If Clyne hadn't been injured all season and Gomez hadn't picked up an injury on international duty I'm sure we wouldn't be relying on 19 year Trent on Wednesday. But there are only so many RBs we can stock. I think he'll actually prefer playing against a smaller player and a team that passes it along the floor rather than a big lad like Zaha in a side that plays ***** football. But whoever plays on the right hand side of a central midfield will have a big responsibility to help him out. I'd go for Milner.

City will undoubtably be targeting him, the likes of De Bruyne and Silva will be threading balls in behind him all night trying to exploit his tendency to ball watch, for an athletic lad he can be turned as well as Rashford showed.
He is going to need help because City will be going out of their way to get after him.

Maybe we should move van Dijk next to him to help him out?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:37 pm

damjan193 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:23 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:33 pm wrote:

Maybe we should move van Dijk next to him to help him out?

We will need to do something mate, the MF can help by getting in De Bruyne's and Silva's face, if those 2 haven't got the time to get their heads up and pick a pass that will help Trent out. Easier said than done that though, even when we beat them at Anfield we still conceded 3.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:32 am

Great win and Klopp is very close to getting us consecutive CL qualifications!

Sadly I agree with the shared sentiments on young Trent, he hasn’t looked great in his last few games and was awful against Palace. Right now doesn’t even look like a defensive player as he gets turned inside out to easily. Playing him against City will absoluately destroy the kids confidence, and we need to look to alternatives as we will concede heavily if he starts.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:45 am

With Gomez being injured and Clyne not even given mins to prepare for the City game it looks like Trent will start against City. They will target him and like you said mate another disaster could ruin him for a while.
I guess like yakka said our midfield will have to deliver solid display to prevent city from attacking a lot.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:55 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:25 pm wrote:
Eagle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:04 pm wrote:Trent was a midfielder for the vast majority of his youth career. Played mainly as a CM. He only started playing RB for the U23 just before he broke into the first team squad. Still learning his trade as a RB. At the beginning on the season he kept putting his hands all over the opponents and giving away fouls and he's improved in this area. I'm sure he'll improve in his positioning too. He is well worth investing in.

I don't think anyone is trying to say the lad hasn't got a big future in the game, Wednesday night won't be the place for L plates though. As we speak City are ripping Everton to shreds at Goodison, it's 3-0 at HT but it should be about 6.

Yakka you hit the nail spot on. Wednesday night, we minimum need a clean sheet, but city have scored over 80 goals in the league. Who
can stop this steam train!!!!?
It's very simple tactic. We are just going to OUTSCORE this lot.
Get our fab three in their faces all night.
Beat this lot, and we'll have a very good chances of winning the trophy.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:01 am

Hard fought win today in what was a poor enough game. Still we kept going and got rewarded in the end although they will probably feel they deserved a point as Benteke fluffed a couple and Mane should have got a second yellow.

Didn't think Trent played that badly myself. The odd mistake but he wasn't the only one committing them. 2nd half he was much better. Clyne will return soon so he will drop back into the squad but overall he has done well this season considering his age and whats expected of him. Had he of only stepped in for a game or 2 everyone would be raving about him but naturally after a lengthy run mistakes will occur. Experience counts for everything in this game.

We will need to be much much better than that against City.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:28 am

That was a very good win, just as good/important as the Watford result. We would have rolled over here a couple of years back - it's a tough ground to get a result at and while the performance wasn't that good it doesn't take away from the end product - which is what this game is fundamentally about. Good to see us grind this out while we weren't at our best.

I thought Henderson was awful and we do really need to upgrade on him over the summer - a non-risk, crab like player who is happy to let others take the risk and always plays the way he is facing. No challenge on Benteke for their opening penalty which is exactly what ManUre did to us and isolated TAA. I think we'll miss Gomez, who does get a fair amount of stick for ball watching but he's physically strong and very quick to recover in such positions as TAA found himself in. Thankfully, hopefully, Citeh won't play that route one stuff but TAA will be pinned as a vulnerable link down our right. In contrast, Andy Robertson for me bar Salah has been our summer signing of the season, I've been impressed with this lad and feel so much more confident when he's in the side at full back for us - cracking little left back.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:32 am

That's the way you eventually win the league, never giving up and winning games because you overwhelm the opposition.  But... 76% possession in the first half and once again we couldn't net the ball. We struggle against an organised defence, we need the opposition to play and get stretched to make the spaces, if they don't we can't find a way through.

We have to hold onto Mo at all costs and find another 1-2-3 impact players to break into the top tier.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 am

Ghost of Shankly » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:55 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:25 pm wrote:

Yakka you hit the nail spot on. Wednesday night, we minimum need a clean sheet, but city have scored over 80 goals in the league. Who
can stop this steam train!!!!?
It's very simple tactic. We are just going to OUTSCORE this lot.
Get our fab three in their faces all night.
Beat this lot, and we'll have a very good chances of winning the trophy.

You might be right mate, my mindset is all about keeping a clean sheet at Anfield (I'd take a 0-0) but a more realistic approach to the game might be to just accept that we are going to concede 2 or 3 goals over the 2 legs, we just need to make sure that we score more than them that's all.
That way if we concede one early on Wednesday the players won't get too disheartened.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games