Players out on Loan - does it work ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Just reading the posts regarding Grujic out on loan and it got me thinking.

Have we ever sent a player out on loan and he's come back to be a first team regular ?

Admittedly I've got holes in my memory but despite a lot of head scratching I can't recall anyone we've sent out on loan who's subsequently returned and gone on to become a regular first team player.

It begs the question, is sending players out on loan a money (wage) saving operation and a signal that we think they're not gonna make it at LFC  ?

Your thoughts Lads   :lookaround

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:11 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 pm wrote:Just reading the posts regarding Grujic out on loan and it got me thinking.

Have we ever sent a player out on loan and he's come back to be a first team regular ?

Admittedly I've got holes in my memory but despite a lot of head scratching I can't recall anyone we've sent out on loan who's subsequently returned and gone on to become a regular first team player.

It begs the question, is sending players out on loan a money (wage) saving operation and a signal that we think they're not gonna make it at LFC  ?

I cant recall one that comes to mind ,but I can state that a loan deal is no bad thing if a player truly has potential,I mean look at Suso we sent him to Almeria and then Milan snapped him up and then loaned him to Genoa before he returned to the fold and evolved into a very influential cog in the Milan midfield. I mean if you look at Salah he was loaned out twice before  Roma put him in their first team ,De Bruyne the same, Chelsea loaned him to Bremen before Wolfsburg bought him and then eventually City. I think if you are good enough it will spill out regardless of the club you're playing for. I think the club see the loan system as a test for some youngsters mate, in as such,when they return its up to them to sufficiently up their respective games and show the application and dedication to succeed and more importantly use everything they have learned at those loan clubs and apply it to their game.

I suppose when all is said and done its down to the individual to ensure the manager notices his marked improvement, as it is ,I don't recall any of our loan signings earning rave reviews week in, week out, whilst at their loan clubs ,but I think Grujic will buck that trend as he's slowly becoming one of the Championships most talked about players and a valid reason why Cardiff have moved up to second and  become the hardest team to beat in their league.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:00 am

woof woof ! wrote:Just reading the posts regarding Grujic out on loan and it got me thinking.

None that I can think of either.

Personally I think once the manager sends you out its a sign of things to come. He would keep you around learning what he wants you to learn rather than you learn it from an inferior manager in a lower league.

We have been doing this for years where we buy young talent and if they aren't instant superstars then its out on loan with a view to a sale. Often we recoup a bit more than we paid so no one says anything. As RBG points out correctly that top players slip through the net quite early but maybe its more down to the manager at the time not really fancying the lad. I hope in Grujics case that isn't true and he returns to buck the trend  :D  Other than that its pretty much, they hang around for a year or more, get the odd chance every 2 or 6 months ish before offloading the wage before sale. Its a shame really.

Adam Morgan now plays for a league of Ireland side called Sligo Rovers. A one year contract. I can remember a lot of hype about him as well.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:52 pm

red till i die!! » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:00 pm wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Just reading the posts regarding Grujic out on loan and it got me thinking.

None that I can think of either.

Personally I think once the manager sends you out its a sign of things to come. He would keep you around learning what he wants you to learn rather than you learn it from an inferior manager in a lower league.

We have been doing this for years where we buy young talent and if they aren't instant superstars then its out on loan with a view to a sale. Often we recoup a bit more than we paid so no one says anything. As RBG points out correctly that top players slip through the net quite early but maybe its more down to the manager at the time not really fancying the lad. I hope in Grujics case that isn't true and he returns to buck the trend  :D  Other than that its pretty much, they hang around for a year or more, get the odd chance every 2 or 6 months ish before offloading the wage before sale. Its a shame really.

Adam Morgan now plays for a league of Ireland side called Sligo Rovers. A one year contract. I can remember a lot of hype about him as well.

in the case of Morgan, he returned from his loan spell and was afforded four opportunities to impress,the first was in pre-season in Toronto and then from a competitive sense 3 games in the Europa League, I think two were against Hearts home and away and then Anzi Makhachkala ,all opportunities that any young player would relish and snatch with both hands.

Its like I said mate ,players who have impressed on loan are given the chance in pre-season to impart what they have learned on the pitch.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:02 pm

I think Danny Murphy, 20 years ago went out on loan when he first joined Liverpool under Houllier, back to Crewe for one season, and then came back to feature regularly in the side. I think that's correct. It doesn't happen very often though.

I guess it's a chance for them to get more game time. It looks like the manager doesn't fancy them in the bigger picture but I think the likes of Grujic, Sturridge and Flanagan are all on the way out of Anfield.
Ryan Kent looks a decent player though and I'd keep him. He looked good in pre season.
I think chelsea are currently regretting not keeping hold of Mo Salah though when they had the chance.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion