Slogan tee shirts

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:00 pm

This comes in the wake of Lazio Ultra fans wearing anti Semitic tee shirts in October and turning their backs to a minutes silence to the Holocaust victims whilst singing the Italian national anthem,the offending tee shirts had a picture of Anne frank with the words in Italian stating Roma fans are Jews,the fans donning such shirts were rightly banned from attending all Lazio games for 6-8 years and the club was fined 50,000 euros. My point is when did it become necessary for the team to next be seen in  Anne Frank antisemitism tee shirts denouncing the demonstrations,would that have not been a given that the club and its players would decry the deplorable behavior of their fans ?

I mean surely holding the minutes silence again with he aforementioned fans absent would have been far more a potent message than the obligatory tee shirts we see players  from clubs all over the world trotting out on to the pitch in   

I know its now part and parcel of the modern game,but the impact of combating such hatred has been diminished significantly with clubs using such a tired formula,I mean why were the words on the Lazio players tee shirts in English,is it not their own fans that needed to heed the message or was this simply a message to the whole of the watching world to distance themselves from a problem that has been prevalent in Italian football from year dot and has yet to be addressed ?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:09 am

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:This comes in the wake of Lazio Ultra fans wearing anti Semitic tee shirts in October and turning their backs to a minutes silence to the Holocaust victims whilst singing the Italian national anthem,the offending tee shirts had a picture of Anne frank with the words in Italian stating Roma fans are Jews,the fans donning such shirts were rightly banned from attending all Lazio games for 6-8 years and the club was fined 50,000 euros. My point is when did it become necessary for the team to next be seen in  Anne Frank antisemitism tee shirts denouncing the demonstrations,would that have not been a given that the club and its players would decry the deplorable behavior of their fans ?

In hindsight it probably wasn't the right thing to do but the Club obviously felt they needed to make a big statement distancing themselves from it due to the deplorable nature of it and the worldwide coverage it got. They have identified 15 fans and rightly banned them but from the coverage of the minutes silence during that game there was far more than that number participating. The club has also announced they will bring 200 fans every year to Auschwitz which highlights the problem is bigger than that one incident. It would be far worse imo if the club was seen to be doing nothing.

I know its now part and parcel of the modern game,but the impact of combating such hatred has been diminished significantly with clubs using such a tired formula,I mean why were the words on the Lazio players tee shirts in English,is it not their own fans that needed to heed the message or was this simply a message to the whole of the watching world to distance themselves from a problem that has been prevalent in Italian football from year dot and has yet to be addressed ?

We are used to banter between fellow sets of supporters but in Italy its just pure hatred and they have no problem showing it. The away fans are sectioned off with glass partitions in the Olympic stadium along with lines of police in full riot gear who do not move for the entire match. The only time they do is to raise their riot shields aloft when the barrage of those little glass coffee shots they sell at the game comes raining down. I got married in Rome in 03 and witnessed this myself at a Roma V Ancona game and it was scary stuff. There was literally hundreds of people standing on the stone benches both sides of the away supporters throwing anything they could put their hands on while the said police did nothing and neither did the stewards. I ended up leaving 10 minutes early as I was fearful of getting caught up in anything when the final whistle went. Then outside the stadium while trying to get a taxi back to the city I was advised to put the scarf I had bought up my jumper as if I ended up in a Lazio fan's cab the journey might not go so well for me. The Ultras over there make the bushwackers look quite timid and every club has them.

It is unfortunately a big part of the game now. A week after that incident the same images were mocked up to taunt Schalke fans by the Dortmund right wing group riot 0231 so it isn't just confined to Lazio. Spurs fan's also experience this type of thing on a regular basis. Some City fans if I remember correctly were being hunted by the police not so long ago for singing anti semitic songs at spuds on a tram and Chelseas fans were also caught singing similar at the F.A cup game between the two last season. There is massive fears ahead of the W.C also from the Neos so it is a global issue and not just a problem for the Italians. Behind Mandarin English is the most spoken language so maybe they felt it was appropriate in which to relay the message.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:47 am

red till i die!! » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:09 am wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:This comes in the wake of Lazio Ultra fans wearing anti Semitic tee shirts in October and turning their backs to a minutes silence to the Holocaust victims whilst singing the Italian national anthem,the offending tee shirts had a picture of Anne frank with the words in Italian stating Roma fans are Jews,the fans donning such shirts were rightly banned from attending all Lazio games for 6-8 years and the club was fined 50,000 euros. My point is when did it become necessary for the team to next be seen in  Anne Frank antisemitism tee shirts denouncing the demonstrations,would that have not been a given that the club and its players would decry the deplorable behavior of their fans ?

In hindsight it probably wasn't the right thing to do but the Club obviously felt they needed to make a big statement distancing themselves from it due to the deplorable nature of it and the worldwide coverage it got. They have identified 15 fans and rightly banned them but from the coverage of the minutes silence during that game there was far more than that number participating. The club has also announced they will bring 200 fans every year to Auschwitz which highlights the problem is bigger than that one incident. It would be far worse imo if the club was seen to be doing nothing.

We are used to banter between fellow sets of supporters but in Italy its just pure hatred and they have no problem showing it. The away fans are sectioned off with glass partitions in the Olympic stadium along with lines of police in full riot gear who do not move for the entire match. The only time they do is to raise their riot shields aloft when the barrage of those little glass coffee shots they sell at the game comes raining down. I got married in Rome in 03 and witnessed this myself at a Roma V Ancona game and it was scary stuff. There was literally hundreds of people standing on the stone benches both sides of the away supporters throwing anything they could put their hands on while the said police did nothing and neither did the stewards. I ended up leaving 10 minutes early as I was fearful of getting caught up in anything when the final whistle went. Then outside the stadium while trying to get a taxi back to the city I was advised to put the scarf I had bought up my jumper as if I ended up in a Lazio fan's cab the journey might not go so well for me. The Ultras over there make the bushwackers look quite timid and every club has them.

It is unfortunately a big part of the game now. A week after that incident the same images were mocked up to taunt Schalke fans by the Dortmund right wing group riot 0231 so it isn't just confined to Lazio. Spurs fan's also experience this type of thing on a regular basis. Some City fans if I remember correctly were being hunted by the police not so long ago for singing anti semitic songs at spuds on a tram and Chelseas fans were also caught singing similar at the F.A cup game between the two last season. There is massive fears ahead of the W.C also from the Neos so it is a global issue and not just a problem for the Italians. Behind Mandarin English is the most spoken language so maybe they felt it was appropriate in which to relay the message.

I totally concur with your reply Germany's problem with right wing factions specifically at Dortmund is escalating with every home game,I seem to remember Dortmund drafting in social workers to disarm any racial hatred and foster a degree of tolerance but they were set upon by a group of Ultra's and one was severely beaten in the confines of the clubs toilets,like you say its a universal problem and the clubs censure should be comparable with the transgression.

I applaud Lazio for taking such a strong stance but I think the naff tee shirts diluted the importance of the message being sent ,its just my opinion but I think football in general is hiding from the now festering and sadly no longer as dormant 'as football would have you believe' problem ,and treating it with such kid gloves could give rise to right wing factions escalating right through our game.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:14 pm

I applaud Lazio for taking such a strong stance but I think the naff tee shirts diluted the importance of the message being sent ,its just my opinion but I think football in general is hiding from the now festering and sadly no longer as dormant 'as football would have you believe' problem ,and treating it with such kid gloves could give rise to right wing factions escalating right through our game.

I agree.
Unfortunately though its rooted in society and has given way to a massive surge of far-right factions right throughout Europe. Democratically elected fascists sit in many parliaments because of far too many peoples ideologies. Not trying to steer you off topic towards politics but I think its fair to say many who think like that are also football fans who use the terraces as a platform to spread their vile beliefs. If it exists in one element without challenge then its bound to seep through eventually.

Going to a W.C is definitely on my bucket list and at this stage of my life I can afford to do it but for those kind of reasons I certainly wouldn't go to this one.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russ ... SKCN1B8150
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:31 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am wrote:

I agree.
Unfortunately though its rooted in society and has given way to a massive surge of far-right factions right throughout Europe. Democratically elected fascists sit in many parliaments because of far too many peoples ideologies. Not trying to steer you off topic towards politics but I think its fair to say many who think like that are also football fans who use the terraces as a platform to spread their vile beliefs. If it exists in one element without challenge then its bound to seep through eventually.

Going to a W.C is definitely on my bucket list and at this stage of my life I can afford to do it but for those kind of reasons I certainly wouldn't go to this one.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russ ... SKCN1B8150

I think its on every football fans bucket list mate,but the underlying reasons to why you believe you should give this one a miss 'surely' must be on the minds of all the discerning football fans who are intent on traveling to Russia ,obviously this train of thought is not inclusive to the knuckle draggers who travel with the purpose of stirring up enough unrest that its televised with the usual annoying repetition.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion