League- 4th -W9 D7 L2 - PTS 34
Caraboa cup- Out 3rd Round
Champions league- Last 16

Goal scores

Salah- --(20)-G--(4)-A
Firmino--(13)-G--(7)-A
Coutinho-(10)-G--(7)-A
Mane-----(7)--G--(4)-A

So folks halfway through the season what do you guys make of it so far???
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:56 pm

Absolutely delighted to be through to the last 16 in the CL. Topping our group was sweet and it paid off with a decent draw in the Knockouts. The last time we were in the CL was embarrassing so its brilliant to see us rectify that.
Carabao cup was disappointing going out in the 1st round as it meant some lads like ward, Grujic, and Woodburn missed out on the chance to take centre stage. That Cup I think was our best shot at silverware this season. The F.A cup is almost here so hopefully we can go far in that and those lads can get proper game time.

My disappointment is with the games we drew and in the manner which some of them came about. Drawing games will get you nowhere and most of them were against sides we should be beating. They ain't loses but the 4 points we recently threw away would have put us level on points with Chelsea and a nice distance ahead of Arsenal. That way Fridays game wouldn't be so important and we could afford a draw but if we lose they overtake us by 2 points and the rest will open up a bigger gap. Its a yo-yo situation and we need to avoid getting caught up in that. As it stands 9 wins and 7 draws means we have only been beat twice but truth is we would be better off with 12 wins and 6 losses.
Another thing is that at this point last season we were in 2nd.  Won 12, Drew 4, Lost 2. GF 45, GA 21 GD +24 and sitting on 40 pts. We are 6 points worse off now, Scored less and only conceded 1 less. We still have a long long way to go in the league. The big difference will hopefully be the rotation paying off and we avoid that burn out.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:13 pm

Disappointed by our league form. As mentioned above, this time last season we were still in the League title race. Now our title campaign is already over, and for the rest of this season it is the same boring "playing for 4th place" scenario..AGAIN!

However, we are not guaranteed fourth place either yet. With Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Even Burnley, all after the 3rd-7th places this season also., we need to be more consistent in our winning performances.

If we start winning games, then drawing the next two games etc etc that has been the pattern this season, then we will struggle to get even fourth. But on the other hand, if we start winning games consistently, we could finish as high as second.

Hopefully we can go far in the Champions League.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:55 am

With the Champions league like mentioned things are going very very well. We really should have won all of our groups games.

Our weakness in the league has been dropping points when we have been in winning positions.
We easily should be 3rd just behind mannure.

On the Caraboa cup i was very disappointed. I really wanted us to go all the way. We desperately need a trophy and it's something us fans are craving for.

On the players Salah has been sensational and I'm  pleased with Firmino and Coutinho and Gomez

Mane needs to up his game in the next half of the season. He hasn't really kicked in gear yet.

Gomez has been exceptional at the back. Our only defender who has excelled so far.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:16 am

I'll Take success this season as 2nd in the League, and a Champions League run to at least the semi-finals. That would be a signal of intent by our manager, and a real indicator that we are heading in the right direction.

With our attack, we could even win the Champions league. We did in 2005 with Cisse, Baros and Smicer FFS! So never say never!

Plenty of twists and Turns to come this season, still....
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:34 pm

Looks like we are going to crawl over the line for fourth place again this season. Probably on the last game of the season
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:48 pm

Loads to go yet but we have seriously got to stop throwing away games like that.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:03 am

WITh a proper manager we’d get rid of both shiiit keeper, Lovren , Moreno and win stuff.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion