Transfers 2017/2018 In and out

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Doeboy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:39 pm

What's done is done now. Like I've mentioned, I do have big concerns over our business this summer however now it's done and dusted we have to give it a chance now and see how we get on. Salah will be more than fine, there will be more scrutiny on the other 3 and whether not buying a CB will come back to bite us on the backside however now it's done got to back Klopp and players and see how we get on
Doeboy

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:49 pm

Doeboy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:39 pm wrote: however now it's done got to back Klopp and players and see how we get on

I don't believe anyone has said that wont be the case ,its just expressing their distaste at how yet another window has elapsed and the same deficiencies have not been rectified. I mean if the fans know we now have a very capable manager at the helm  and one who with the right backing for quality personnel  could win the title, then why does this truth escape the owners.

The painful truth is if Jurgen had gone to United or Chelsea he would have won the title by now,I'm afraid our owners clearly don't see us dining at the top table anytime soon.

Its like I stated in my reply to Devaney with every window the club seem to get more and more duplicitous.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:23 pm

On a positive note, we managed to keep Markovic...

(I'll get me coat...)
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:19 pm

Not signing a centre back was criminal, we are painfully short on quality and numbers in that position and it will cost us eventually. A lot of people are blaming the owners for this but from all reports Klopp insisted on Van Dijk or no one which is just ridiculous IMO there are plenty of good centre backs out there and the manager should of moved on to a new target once it became clear that Southampton were refusing to sell.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Fowler_E7 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:19 am wrote:Not signing a centre back was criminal, we are painfully short on quality and numbers in that position and it will cost us eventually. A lot of people are blaming the owners for this but from all reports Klopp insisted on Van Dijk or no one which is just ridiculous IMO there are plenty of good centre backs out there and the manager should of moved on to a new target once it became clear that Southampton were refusing to sell.

Feel it's quite difficult to provide a counter argument to this. We play CL this season which means more games and more chance of injury. If Matip and/or Lovren get injured we have no choice but to turn to Klavan, who imo has question marks hanging over him. Fact Klopp turned to Lucas at CB at times last season rather than Klavan says a lot. The other option being Joe Gomez, a young lad who has shown promise but his progression has been interrupted by a serious injury so it's a case of the unknown with him. However I'm fine with him being the 4th option but we needed someone who can seriously challenge Matip and Lovren for a first team spot and Klavan is not that person.

Van Dijk is a decent premier league defender however I've never been convinced he is some kind of saviour for the defence that others make out. Think we could have picked up alternatives that would do just as good a job as him. I mentioned in another post, Chelsea signed Rudiger for £32m odd who I think will go on to be a good defender for them. Similarly spurs picked up Sanchez from Ajax. Finally, Juventus got Howedes on loan from Schalke. Surely we should have taken a look at him on loan for the season as he would have been a better option than Klavan? Then next summer we could revisit the VDV deal if he is the one Klopp really wants.

I agree, don't think this is down to FSG. I love Klopp but he does seem to have some glaring blind spots. Sense there is a  degree of inflexibility not only in his tactics/setup but also his approach to transfers as well. Just hope it doesn't come back to bite us on the *****.
Doeboy

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:25 pm

Shame we can't have Keita now.
He is the Stephen Gerrard replacement we have been waiting for, this guy can dribble 5 players and put the ball in the net.
Superb.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:27 pm

More transfers now pleeeeeeeeaaase
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:49 pm

Our business was weak compared to what our rivals did. City and Utd's business allowed them to hit the ground running. Obviously we can't compete with those two financially but there were still deals to be had. Unless the likes of Ox, Solanke and Robertson (been impressed with what I've seen so far of him to be fair but early days) really step up, won't be no surprise we are lagging behind our rivals.

Still can't get my head around the signing of Ox to be honest. We were better off spending the money on Lacazette, a player who can play up top but also cover wide if needed.
Doeboy

Postby redshade » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:31 am

Marko Grujic
Joel Matip
Loris Karius
Sadio Mane
Ragnar Klavan
Wijnaldum
Manninger

Solanke
Robertson
Oxlade Chamberlain
Salah
Keita

So far these are Klopp signings since he took over.

X2 Gk
X3 DF
X6 MD
X1 ST

I would say the windows could have been a lot better especially the one just gone. Klopps first signings were not bad he tried to address the defense via Matip and Klavan and also our GK department with Karius. Sadly at the back only Matip has been the only worthy addition atm.
Mane and Wijndum were very good buys especially Mane. We did quite well in klopps first signings.
X2 GK  X2 DF X3MD- not a bad window.

However in contract Klopps signings mark 2 have not really been great if you consider problem areas etc...

Solanke and Robertson are more or less for the future or in a development stage. Ox has not really been tested which just leaves Salah as our current success.

January is key for Klopp to rectify our weak areas but considering how steep the market is at that period i highly doubt we will add any players to the squad, unless Southampton allow Van Dijk to go.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:48 am

Do we stick or twist in the January transfer window!? Maybe VVD? Who's up for betting if Klopp will gamble in January, I personally think he will stick with what he's got. Judging by his past lack of transfer activity.
Maybe just offloading milner, hendo and Moreno should be enough!?? We'll get 30m for that lot. :p
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:26 am

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/11/10-players-final-2-years-contract-future-liverpool/

Which 10 players in final 2 years of their contract have a future at Liverpool?
Henry Jackson

8 November 2017
There are 10 Liverpool players whose contracts expire within the next two years, so which of them have a future at the club?

With the likelihood of Emre Can departing on a free transfer at the end of the season, Liverpool would be wise to ensure no other players end up leaving the following summer without a fee being received.

In the modern era, contracts are usually renewed once they enter the final two years of their current deal, and there’s 10 such players in that situation currently in Jurgen Klopp‘s squad.

Emre Can

Liverpool's Emre Can celebrates scoring his side's first goal during the UEFA Champions League Play-Off, Second Leg match at Anfield, Liverpool.

One of the biggest talking points at present is Can’s future, with the German heavily tipped to move on a free transfer at the end of the season, with Juventus and Bayern Munich both linked.

The 23-year-old remains a slightly divisive figure, with some supporters critical of a lack of consistency, but losing him would be a real blow.

Can has so much potential, and is already a formidable midfielder, and Liverpool need to be keeping hold of top players.

Undoubtedly it will be a blow to lose him as he enters his prime years, but to offer the wages he’s been reportedly asking for and a release clause which – had Philippe Coutinho been given one, for example – would arguably be worse business.

New deal? Unfortunately it looks too late on this one.

Daniel Sturridge

Daniel Sturridge remains a footballer of immense natural ability, but even his most ardent admirer would struggle to deny that his best days are behind him.

The injuries he has suffered have taken their toll on his body, with his pace nowhere near as deadly as it once was.

By the summer of 2019, he will be on the eve of his 30th birthday and there’s no way the club can justify matching his current wages which make him one of the Reds’ highest earners, having signed that deal when he was at his peak in 2014.

Klopp should be looking to sign strikers more suited to his style of play and therefore selling him a year earlier makes sense in order to receive a fee for him.

New deal? NO.

James Milner

Honest, consistent, hard-working, a true professional – all of these cliches perfectly sum up James Milner, and he has been a solid servant for the Reds.

It was clear that he was getting on in years even when he signed in 2015, and when his contract is done, he will be 33.

Given his incredible levels of dedication, it is very easy to see Milner playing well into his 30s, but as is the case with Sturridge, Milner is one of the higest earner players at the club and Liverpool should be looking to upgrade in the next 18 months or so.

It’s quite likely Milner will want a move himself next summer in order to play regular football.

New deal? NO.

Alberto Moreno

Had we been asking this question last season, there would only have been only one answer, but Alberto Moreno has enjoyed an unlikely turnaround in 2017/18.

It is important that his performances aren’t overrated too much, but he has been impressive and has made the left-back spot his own.

The Spaniard’s deal ceases in 2019, like all the players listed expect for Can, and if his current form shows no sign of going away, he is worth retaining.

Still only 25, Moreno and Andrew Robertson can tussle for regular football for a number of years – unless of course he reverts back to the disastrous performances of old.

Many carry a vendetta against Moreno, regardless of what he does on the pitch, but it is only fair that a new contract no should come his way, on current evidence.

New deal? YES.

Ragnar Klavan

It would be hard to call Ragnar Klavan a successful signing, even if the odd competent display has been thrown in here and there.

The 32-year-old has not suffered from the same level of ineptitude as Dejan Lovren over the past year or so, but it is also apparent that an upgrade is required.

The Estonian’s legs are ageing and he doesn’t represent the future, so once his deal is done, it will be a case of moving on him on to pastures new.

He still has time to build a Djimi Troare-esque legacy and win the Champions League!

New deal? NO.

Divock Origi

Almost a forgotten man, Divock Origi‘s progress is an interesting one to watch.

The young Belgian is enjoying a productive time of things on loan at Bundesliga side Wolfsburg, where he has scored four times in 10 appearances this season.

Klopp clearly didn’t see Origi as part of his plans this season – Sturridge and new signing Dominic Solanke were preferred to him – so his future is unclear.

The manager may already have decided that he doesn’t have a plan for him, but he is only 22, and there is undoubted potential in his boots.

Of all the 10 players on this list, sorting Origi’s future is arguably the hardest and much may depend on his performances at Wolfsburg this season – and if the German club offer a big fee next summer.

New deal? UNSURE.

Lazar Markovic

It is very easy to forget that Lazar Markovic actually exists.

As far as flops go, the Serb has to be right up there, with the £19.8million Liverpool paid for his services looking like an appalling piece of business.

The 23-year-old has been deemed completely surplus to requirements by Klopp, and it is a mystery how he is still a Reds player.

It will be staggering if he is still at Anfield this time in two years, let alone one, by which time someone will hopefully have paid money for him.

New deal? NO CHANCE!

Jon Flanagan

It seems a long time ago that Jon Flanagan was thriving at left-back during Liverpool’s 2013/14 campaign.

In fairness to the boyhood Red, injuries have completely destroyed his progress, and he is now a long away from being good enough.

First-team opportunities are hard to come by, with just one performance to his name in 2017/18, and it makes total sense to sell him next summer.

If Liverpool can get a fee of note for him, that will be a bonus.

New deal? NO.

Connor Randall

A limited footballer, but one we wish the very best for, Connor Randall will surely never play for Liverpool again.

He is a long way off fellow youngsters such as Joe Gomez, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ben Woodburn – he is 22 now, which isn’t that young in a footballing sense – and is currently on loan at Hearts.

Randall has ‘Championship player’ written all over him, at best, and he is likely to be sold for good next summer.

New deal? NO.

Adam Bogdan

Believe it or not, Adam Bogdan is still at Liverpool.

Recovering from a knee injury, hopefully he’ll head out on loan or a permanent move in January.

New deal? NO.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Klopptomaniac » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:30 pm

I'd only give Moreno a new deal to get a decent fee for him. He's an absolute clown of a left back.

I'd also give Milly a new deal, not as a starter but he's a great squad player to have about.

I don't think Can will come back to haunt us.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 pm

I don't reckon Klopp will sign anyone in the January transfer window. Who's betting on it?  I certainly don't think he will offload anyone, and I think the VVD deal will happen next summer.

Klopp said at the start of the season that he is happy with his four centre backs; Klavan, Matip, Lovren and Gomez, so I'm not expecting any transfer activity.

Also at left back, we know Moreno is useless, but he has cover there of Robertson and Milner. Plus Clyne is still to come back at Right back soon ,

...So therefore I don't see why klopp would feel the need to splash out in January. I think he will stick with what he's got.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Next summer we need to spend big.
I'd go for:
VVD - 60m
Lemar- 70m
Keita - 80m
Harry Kane - 120m
+ Another top defender.

Then offload :
Sturridge
Hendo
Milner
Moreno
Ings
Can
70m for that lot.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:43 pm

He has got to spend in January and then add a few more in the summer. He cannot keep plodding from window to window relying on what we have to come good because it isn't happening and certainly not at the rate we need.  He cannot also continue to ignore the weaknesses in the team any more. He needs better defenders, A pacier midfield and a striker. Its up to him to address these areas and he is dragging his feet so it isn't good enough. There are many changes that can be made and many players out there to improve us so its about time he started bringing them in  :nod

We all knew when he got the job that players like Mingolet, Lovren, Moreno and Henderson had to go but for some reason they still remain and form the spine of the team. 3 years later and we are still calling for the same cull. If he doesn't spend in January it will leave too much to do in the summer and we will still be looking at the same players.
Half of me thinks fook all will change by next season also. This season they did nothing except sign one player and loan a striker they had spent 2 years developing only to reset that process with someone else. We more than likely won't have Phil or Emre but will have Keita so at best I think we can expect another 1 or 2 on top.  He cannot be doing stuff like getting rid of Origi and somehow thinking Solanke could do an equivalent or better job.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion