Fixing our defence - what needs to be done?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kartiek » Mon May 08, 2017 1:42 am

red till i die!! » Sun May 07, 2017 11:29 pm wrote:We definitely need a decent keeper that doesn't ooze panic and a like minded CH to start. Milner as Lb surely has to stop so we need one of those as well. If we can only sign 2 then its the CH and LB for me. I'd sooner see Firmino at LB next season than Milner.

I think both Matip and Lovren are not good enough. Lovren's mistakes are obvious to see, but Matip's weak clearances, often bad positioning are always hidden by the fact that he's otherwise very good on the ball. I would replace both of them sooner than replacing Milner honestly.
kartiek

Postby kartiek » Mon May 08, 2017 1:43 am

And yeah, obviously need to get rid of Klavan.
kartiek

Postby maguskwt » Mon May 08, 2017 6:26 am

I would focus on a CB and a DM/ CM. Our problem is not just the defenders. Our problem is the whole spine. As much as I would want a new keeper, I feel that Mignolet could do fine with a better defense and midfield. Matip is a good defender. If we can pair him with another solid defender, our defense will improve. We havent really seen the matip-sakho partnership too much yet. But that partnership would be really good. So the uncoming defender needs to be Sakho's level. The next is a strong CM or a DM. Our midfield is really weak. time and time again they have been bypassed so easily by opponents. I'm just not sure why. So if we can improve in those two departments, our defense could improve tremendously.

also i just noticed that we dont tackle too much or are not good at tackling. Whenever the opponents ru  at our defense, the players would back off and instead of full scale tackle, they would try to nick the ball off the opponent. It just invites more pressure. That part of the game needs to improve.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun May 21, 2017 4:52 am

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon May 22, 2017 10:28 am

I a man very surprised that some supporters would still like to see Mignolet replaced. Personally I think he has improved massively in his weak areas. He has done some very impressive work since January and his mistakes have been minimal.

For me an upgrade on Milly who is not a left back is essential. He has done ok but he is nothing exceptional in that position. Clyne is a decent defender but almost useless going forward. Unfortunately he hasn't turned out to be much of an upgrade on Johnson. Lovren leaves a lot to be desired in nearly all areas of his game and I'm not sure that he is the long term answer. If Henderson was fit I'd play Can alongside him with Couts playing a deeper midfield attacking role. Mané, Firmino and Lallana could simply feed off what Couts can produce. If we can find the right type of technically intelligent midfield player to replace Can as a regularly then that could prove beneficial.

Who we keep this summer is going to be as important as who we buy. I don't think we need to pay crazy money for players. We certainly need to strengthen the squad especially with CL football.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon May 22, 2017 11:09 am

We need a LB  :nod  Milner is far too weak in that position and having 2 right feet makes it an impossible task.
Another CH. Dejan Lovren is dirt, A major weak link at the back with his organisation and positioning. He just hasn't a clue what he is at.
A midfielder and preferably a natural wide one which will restore a bit of much needed balance.
A striker. Klopp ought to be shot if he thinks he can rely on Sturridge next season, Origi has failed and Ings isn't good enough. Persisting with Firmino up front is also flogging a dead horse.

They can do what they want after that but I see those 4 positions as crucial to us kicking on next season.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Mikz » Mon May 22, 2017 12:54 pm

red till i die!! » Mon May 22, 2017 10:09 am wrote:We need a LB  :nod  Milner is far too weak in that position and having 2 right feet makes it an impossible task.
Another CH. Dejan Lovren is dirt, A major weak link at the back with his organisation and positioning. He just hasn't a clue what he is at.
A midfielder and preferably a natural wide one which will restore a bit of much needed balance.
A striker. Klopp ought to be shot if he thinks he can rely on Sturridge next season, Origi has failed and Ings isn't good enough. Persisting with Firmino up front is also flogging a dead horse.

They can do what they want after that but I see those 4 positions as crucial to us kicking on next season.

Totally agree.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:47 pm

6 clean sheets in our last 7 Premier League games. Maybe we have improved and not as bad as we make out?
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Pig Catcher » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:47 pm wrote:6 clean sheets in our last 7 Premier League games. Maybe we have improved and not as bad as we make out?

Yes good however the manner of the goals we conceded against Watford certainly is concerning
Doeboy

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:36 pm

:upside:
Thommo's perm

Postby johnbarnes » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Can't polish a turd - even if your name is Jurgen Klopp -
--
What amazes me, is that just 12 months ago we could have got an entire new defence for 100M
Now we'd be luck to get quality centre half and a left back for that price.
--
This shows an inept ability to predict the market place of its own industry...
Who's to blame?
I don't think that matters anymore - It's just not good enough for a club that makes a whole lotta buck but produces little bang!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:36 pm

I think fans that devote their time and money, often much of their lives to the club deserve an explanation from Klopp or someone that takes responsibility for recruitment (this remans mystical in itself) to explain why after several seasns of defensive catastrophes under Rodgers and Klopp NOTHING significant has been done.

Matip and Klavan from the basement, Lovren delivered a 5 year deal for being shyte, Moreno now reinstated after we go low end again with Robertson, the attrocious galkeeping situation and now an 18 year old stuffed in at right back competing with another boy barely out of his teens.

In front of that lot the shield is Wijnaldum, a converted midfield attacker with Henderson and Can, none of whom are protecters, stoppers, they are just runners without any defensive instinct between them.

Klopp imagines his teams will simply outrun the opposition but he is deluded, arrogant and stubborn, same personnel same outcomes, it will be another disappointing season, with the odd day where we look terrific and Klopp dreams again.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Genuinely can't believe anyone can justify us not bringing in a defender in the summer. Lovren and Matip are good defenders but they need pressure put on them for their place. The 3rd centre back at a club like us shouldn't be some no mark journeyman who is happy filling in for injuries/suspensions. Needs to be someone who is of good calibre and can seriously put pressure and challenge the starters.

To put it into context, chelsea had a very good defensive unit last season but still went out and paid £32m for Rudiger. Similarly spurs had the best defensive record and have arguably the best defensive partnership in Alderweirald and Vertonghen in the league, yet still go out and spend £40m odd on Sanchez.

Now Klopp clearly understands the CB area needs strengthening what with the chasing of VVD but they can't seriously tell me that if they weren't able to get him, there is no one else available as that is total *****? Could anyway actually see Klavan being the backup CB at chelsea, city, utd etc?
Doeboy

Postby Big Niall » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:40 pm

We have a Sh*t manager , think what George Graham in his prime would do , we have a retard manager who buys shhit degenders and organises them poorly. The man is a fool.

2 years in the job and we are worse than I've ever seen defensively but some fans are looking for a Messiah, Tottenham have overtaken LFC without outspending us as they have a proper manager.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:19 pm

Ward, TAA, Robertson and Gomez are all bright sparks. As the season progresses these guys could fix the defensive frailties for us.  What's more, all being young and developing alongside one another, they'll have a much better understanding when it comes to the pitch.

Or we could sack Klopp and hire George Graham  :laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion