ROBERTO FIRMINO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:19 pm

aCe' » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:13 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:02 pm wrote:Is Firmino deliberately dropping so deep on Klopps instructions ? I just think when he's close enough to link up with Mane and Salah then our attack is far more potent with him pulling the strings, but against Watford and Hoffenheim he was playing so deep that his impact as a play maker was nullified.

He's done okay so far I feel. With no Lallana and Coutinho, all our play seems to be down the flanks with Henderson-Can-Wijnaldum not able to control the game down the middle. Firmino is having to drop deep to come for the pass because more often than not, our wide players cut inside and look for the pass rather than attacking the byline and looking for a cross.

Quite frankly, he has to do that. I dont like the way we are playing and I think THIS setup will not get us a top5 finish. We rely on Mane and Salah making runs behind and part of Firmino's job is to drop deeper to draw the space between CBs and FBs.

Until we sort out the Lallana-Coutinho situation, I'd consider playing Firmino behind a Solanke or Origi and have him try to link up play more often.

I like the idea of throwing Solanke into the mix with Mane and Firmino ,I would also contemplate playing Woodburn 'if only temporarily' to fill the gap left by Coutinho's and Lallanas absence I know he's young but he plays with real confidence and most importantly he possesses a football brain way beyond his years.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:02 am

I thought he had a great game last night with a lot of intelligent running and great vision. He is not as technically equipped as Coutinho but bigger, stronger and with more fighting spirit and a great engine. He was a real upgrade on Sterling.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Half Firminos problem from a fan perspective is understanding hes not a traditional No9 like Rush or Fowler but contributes in a different way.

We dont start with a No9 really which is unusual in itself as most Premiership teams still do, Aguero, Kane, Lukaku and any one of two at Chelsea and its a different feel, potent 3 up top but not as we have always known it.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:02 pm

parchpea » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:09 pm wrote:Half Firminos problem from a fan perspective is understanding hes not a traditional No9 like Rush or Fowler but contributes in a different way.

We dont start with a No9 really which is unusual in itself as most Premiership teams still do, Aguero, Kane, Lukaku and any one of two at Chelsea and its a different feel, potent 3 up top but not as we have always known it.

The running of Firmino , Mane and Salah with Coutinho pulling the strings is one hell of a front three, probably the best attack in the PL.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:39 pm

He's definitely a no10 and should be played there in Coutinho's absence.. that way we don't have the 3 Center mids all doing the same job we actually have someone creative and we could also play Solanke, Origi or Studge.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:08 am

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 08, 2017 6:41 am
"Best player of the season by a country mile. Always trying, always passionate, always solid."
:cool:
Thommo's perm

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:08 pm

Firmino was brutally bad tonight and shocking vs Leicester, will Klopp finally drop him for Sturridge? I'm not holding my breath, he even took off Mane ahead of him tonight to my disbelief
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:26 pm

He blows a bit too hot and cold for me. When he hits that purple patch, he looks like a superb player but goes through patches where he looks very ordinary and as though he is going through the motions. Saying that, never been convinced striker is his trully favoured position. For me, he is someone who would do better floating off a striker, a bit like Alli does with Kane at spurs
Doeboy

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:13 pm

Doeboy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:26 pm wrote:He blows a bit too hot and cold for me. When he hits that purple patch, he looks like a superb player but goes through patches where he looks very ordinary and as though he is going through the motions. Saying that, never been convinced striker is his trully favoured position. For me, he is someone who would do better floating off a striker, a bit like Alli does with Kane at spurs

Hit the nail on the head. Him and llalana play outstanding in one game, but dissappear for the next three games. Firminho should not be playing in the centre forward position. We need a top striker
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:45 am

I've been one of roberto's critics saying he's like an accessory, he will improve the team's play when he is playing along side good players like Coutinho but cannot carry a team himself. But the past few weeks he had been tremendous. So shout out to him, he is starting to look like a bonafide playmaker...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:01 pm

The bottom line is that the team generally plays better when Bobby is upfront, whether he scores or not. The likes of Mane and Salah drop a level when it's Danny leading the line. If he could just work on getting more efforts on goal and increasing his goal tally he'd be one hell of a forward.

P.S. I loved his clearing header from the West Ham corner which setup the first goal.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Firmino is into his third season ,people forget the lad has played three seasons less than Coutinho and is only 15 goals behind on 31 ,when you take into consideration we don't play with an orthodox striker' as such' then he's certainly played his part. I think its time Bobby was afforded the credit he deserves ,because the fella is World Class,he would comfortably improve any teams attack in Europe with his outrageous talent for producing the incredible out of nothing.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:44 pm

He's been inconsistent this season, but he had a few really good games, especially against West Ham in the weekend.

I still prefer him over sturridge.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:58 am

He was excellent against West Ham but still managed to miss a sitter and that will always be his problem he doesn’t score enough goals and that’s why he will never be a top player, he’s a good player but no where near the top bracket and he’s someone I’d look to see us improve on once the defence has had new additions
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:21 am

metalhead » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:44 pm wrote:He's been inconsistent this season, but he had a few really good games, especially against West Ham in the weekend.

I still prefer him over sturridge.

Firmino and Sturridge are different players though. Firmino is more of a playmaker who ideally should be sitting behimd a striker or two. I dont really like him being played as a false 9. Sturridge is a modern day forward. Plays abit wide, similar to Ronaldo. I would take sturridge during his peak. He is alot more lethal and direct.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion