Transfers 2017/2018 In and out

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:58 am

Just under 12 days to go before the window closes time is running out.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:17 am

At this moment we have a weaker squad then last year...Which is a huge problem as we enter Klopp's 3rd year..I would almost state it's unacceptable.
Yes the LB position looks decent enough with Robertson coming and Salah is a great signing ,but if you consider we just lost Adam for many month and Coutinho isn't on the team..We have a huge gaping hole in the Midfield.
If Klopp can't bring anyone till end of month i will seriously start to question his ability to take us anywhere.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:59 am

only me » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:17 am wrote:At this moment we have a weaker squad then last year...Which is a huge problem as we enter Klopp's 3rd year..I would almost state it's unacceptable.
Yes the LB position looks decent enough with Robertson coming and Salah is a great signing ,but if you consider we just lost Adam for many month and Coutinho isn't on the team..We have a huge gaping hole in the Midfield.
If Klopp can't bring anyone till end of month i will seriously start to question his ability to take us anywhere.

Is it the managers fault that the club just can't seem to get deals over the line though? Klopp is actually one of the biggest draws that we have at the club, he attracts players. Players want to come here and work with him in fact by all accounts Van Dijk is prepared to turn his back on City and Chelsea to sign for us and Keita too apparently told some big clubs that he has his heart set on a move to Liverpool. Before we start slagging the manager off we need to ask ourselves if he wasn't here would these top players even want to sign for us?
Besides we can't just unsettle these players and then drop them like a stone, we need to make sure that the selling club isn't just playing hardball to bump up the price. Its not easy for us, one minute Southampton release a statement saying Van Dijk is categorically not for sale then the next they say they have to sell before they can buy.
I do agree we desperately need to bring in players but I wouldn't blame the manager if it didn't happen.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:04 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:59 am wrote:
only me » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:17 am wrote:At this moment we have a weaker squad then last year...Which is a huge problem as we enter Klopp's 3rd year..I would almost state it's unacceptable.

Is it the managers fault that the club just can't seem to get deals over the line though? Klopp is actually one of the biggest draws that we have at the club, he attracts players. Players want to come here and work with him in fact by all accounts Van Dijk is prepared to turn his back on City and Chelsea to sign for us and Keita too apparently told some big clubs that he has his heart set on a move to Liverpool. Before we start slagging the manager off we need to ask ourselves if he wasn't here would these top players even want to sign for us?
Besides we can't just unsettle these players and then drop them like a stone, we need to make sure that the selling club isn't just playing hardball to bump up the price. Its not easy for us, one minute Southampton release a statement saying Van Dijk is categorically not for sale then the next they say they have to sell before they can buy.
I do agree we desperately need to bring in players but I wouldn't blame the manager if it didn't happen.

Some debatable perspectives from you lads.

Only Me say's
At this moment we have a weaker squad then last year...Which is a huge problem as we enter Klopp's 3rd year..I would almost state it's unacceptable.

I would ask, apart from an injured Lallana + Clyne and a questionable injured but definitely unsettled Coutinho in which way is the squad weaker than it was last year ?

Yakka says'
Is it the managers fault that the club just can't seem to get deals over the line
and goes on to say
I do agree we desperately need to bring in players but I wouldn't blame the manager if it didn't happen

My view is it's not the managers fault that we haven't signed all the players he was after , if we'd been able to sign ALL our targets we'd be well placed to mount a significant challenge in all competitions .

However, although I disagree with Only Me saying we have a weaker squad than last year, with the exception of Salah (and possibly Robertson), I have to say imo we have failed to significantly strengthen the squad.

Whilst I admire the fact that he wants' to sign quality over quantity I'm concerned that when it became evident that two of his main targets would not be available we apparently didn't have a list of quality alternatives that we should have already been seriously talking too.

Kloppo has to take some responsibility for this.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Big week coming up IF we qualify for the Champions League there is no excuse not to get some deals done, minimum of 3 but more like 4.

By now targets should be in our sights and people sounded out ready to go, Klopp said business all but done in May and now its a race against time to give the fans genuine hope this season and be ready to compete on all fronts.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:09 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:04 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:59 am wrote:

Some debatable perspectives from you lads.

Only Me say's

I would ask, apart from an injured Lallana + Clyne and a questionable injured but definitely unsettled Coutinho in which way is the squad weaker than it was last year ?

Yakka says'
Is it the managers fault that the club just can't seem to get deals over the line
and goes on to say
I do agree we desperately need to bring in players but I wouldn't blame the manager if it didn't happen

My view is it's not the managers fault that we haven't signed all the players he was after , if we'd been able to sign ALL our targets we'd be well placed to mount a significant challenge in all competitions .

However, although I disagree with Only Me saying we have a weaker squad than last year, with the exception of Salah (and possibly Robertson), I have to say imo we have failed to significantly strengthen the squad.

Whilst I admire the fact that he wants' to sign quality over quantity I'm concerned that when it became evident that two of his main targets would not be available we apparently didn't have a list of quality alternatives that we should have already been seriously talking too.

Kloppo has to take some responsibility for this.

Mate ,surely a team without Lallana & Coutinho is weaker..Clyne should be back soon enough..but the 2 missing players are the only creative players we have..And yes while Klopp isn't responsible for failed negotiation surely a serious team should have  contingency plan in multiple positions and Klopp should have insisted on getting more players in to meet his target..
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:59 pm

My take on the window is Klopp probably had his three priority signings and told the club to do everything humanly possible to secure their signatures ,its not conjecture because in all probability he's spoke to these players convincing them of a bright future under his tutelage. Why should he have second choices ?

Mourinho wanted Lukaku  Matic and Lindelhof to strengthen key positions and not dissimilar to our manager had convinced them to join,the difference is the United board went out on the back of that and attained the requisite players he demanded. Klopp is probably seething inwardly but he wont show that face to the fans in press conferences.

He prefers to give the fans hope that this season will be better than the last , yes he champions the players he has at his  disposal ,but its either that or being forced to bring in players he believes to be inferior than the ones he's already cajoled into joining only to be left wanting when it came to negotiations.

I mean there's a reason Van Dyke is so adamant its only  this man he wants to learn under,there's a reason Keita is similarly convinced,put simply the manager has done the groundwork and now its up to the board to do the rest !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Issue is Mancs never really had problems like we did with Leipzig and Southampton. I guess maybe it could be that they are better than us when dealing with transfers. Also our owners will never spend 70+ mill that will never happen. 90 mill on Lukaku and Pogba is something only Man utd or City can do. We just about surpassed our record with Salah which took time. Basically Mannure will always offer a price too good to refuse.

As far as 2nd choices are concerned i feel we always need plan B under our current owners or even plan C,
Its better than nothing i guess.
We have to remember Mane was 2nd choice we initially wanted Gotze and look how that turned out in our favour.
There are plenty of top players out there that can do the job.

Also Maureen wanted Greizmen first so really Lukaku was 2nd choice.
Its important to have a list of we miss out on our first choices.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:30 pm

All clubs have 2nd and 3rd options. Everyone from Utd and Chelsea to Madrid and Barcelona. In some cases, you have a transfer committee or a director of football who go after targets. In other cases, which I suspect is how we go about it now, the manager recommends targets. It falls on Klopp as far as I'm concerned. Mourinho has publicly stated he's always more interested in addressing positions rather than targeting specific players. I'm sure their transfer committee runs names past Mourinho before going after them but eventually there's always a plan in motion at all times to improve the areas in need. Same with most other clubs.

We desperately need a GK, a LB, a CB, a CM, and a striker to be able to challenge for the title. You can prioritize one or two of the positions but until they're all addressed I dont think we'll get anywhere near the title. We've signed Robertson (a punt at best) and nothing more so far, let's see how the next few weeks go.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:45 am

I think with us having a net spend of zero last year and then "qualifying" for the champions league we expected big signings this summer... especially with the money we get from the tv money etc. And basically we have bought a couple of young players in Robertson and Solanke and then a player who has been playing well the last 2 years in Salah. If you would have asked any Liverpool fan at the end of last year that we were buying these 3 players and no one else every fan would be absolutely fuming.

And that is the case.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:35 am

We don't have 2nd or 3rd options like other clubs because if we had then we would have secured them seeing as we our 1st set went down the pan ages ago. Last year it was the same bull when we went for Pulisic and Dahoud, Before that it was Konoplyanka. They basically spent entire windows chasing their targets only to miss out. They don't even show any interest in those targets come the next window and just do the same thing over again.
If there is a plan B then its hid inside an envelope with instructions that its not to be opened till the following year.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:12 am

redshade » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:43 pm wrote:Issue is Mancs never really had problems like we did with Leipzig and Southampton. I guess maybe it could be that they are better than us when dealing with transfers. Also our owners will never spend 70+ mill that will never happen. 90 mill on Lukaku and Pogba is something only Man utd or City can do. We just about surpassed our record with Salah which took time. Basically Mannure will always offer a price too good to refuse.

As far as 2nd choices are concerned i feel we always need plan B under our current owners or even plan C,
Its better than nothing i guess.
We have to remember Mane was 2nd choice we initially wanted Gotze and look how that turned out in our favour.
There are plenty of top players out there that can do the job.

Also Maureen wanted Greizmen first so really Lukaku was 2nd choice.
Its important to have a list of we miss out on our first choices.

Seriously mate,anyone who thought Griezmann was his first choice is as naive as the media ,I suspect Lukaku was always first choice ,other than that,I'd be as ***** off as everyone else if we don't get any more players in,I'm just saying Klopp persuaded three of his top targets to come to the reds the rest was up to the board.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:27 am

I can understand why we haven't got keita and VVD it makes perfect sense..Why we don't have a 2nd and 3rd options is beyond logic..its poor professional work..it reeks of amateurish behavior and is insulting to the fans.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:24 am

only me » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:27 am wrote:I can understand why we haven't got keita and VVD it makes perfect sense..Why we don't have a 2nd and 3rd options is beyond logic..its poor professional work..it reeks of amateurish behavior and is insulting to the fans.
I totally agree.. loads of top clubs struggle to get their no1 targets for whatever reason, that's why teams have scouts to try and find similar players who could improve the team. Why have we even got scouts or a transfer committee if you don't use either.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Franky000 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:38 pm

The owners are nothing without us fans...remember when they u-turned on ticket prices once we stood up to them? If we don't make the necessary improvements to the squad perhaps we could apply similar pressures? The sooner these ***** sell up the better.
Franky000

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion