MOHAMED SALAH - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby johnbarnes » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:37 pm

kazza » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:08 pm wrote:I really don't like left footed players playing right wing ( and visa versa), it leaves them with one option which is cut inside and shoot, forget good crosses!

It's pre-season...
Players will often play out of position for training and coaching purposes.
When Salah cuts in from the right a sends a screamer into the top corner against Manure in the last minute; IT'LL MAKE SENSE!
  :D
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:33 pm

kazza » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:08 pm wrote:I really don't like left footed players playing right wing ( and visa versa), it leaves them with one option which is cut inside and shoot, forget good crosses!

Erm, don't have the stats BUT are you saying he can't cross a ball ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:12 pm

alxy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:13 am wrote:Undoubtedly a good signing. But both may not be available during the next African CON. And we all know what happened when Mane left last January to play there. Hopefully our squad will be more solid then. It seems to be these little niggles that stop us from really mounting a challenge or actually winning the PL. We had the Gerrard slip, and to an extent, Henderson getting sent off unnecessarily and being banned. Then last year was the mess in January which Mane leaving contributed quite a bit to. Hopefully this season everything goes our way. We need a bit of luck to win the PL as well

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40670308

Afcon will be moved to June/July 2019
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:44 am

woof woof ! » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:33 pm wrote:

Erm, don't have the stats BUT are you saying he can't cross a ball ?

I watched the match against CP and there were a couple of times where he ran down the line and put in a weak(er) cross on his right foot as the cut inside was not on. He may well cross a good ball every now and again but over the course of the year chances may be missed. For me it just limits options and makes it easier for defenders to know what he will do, as with Coutinho. He runs down the left, cuts inside to his right foot and all of a sudden there are three defenders blocking, it is too predictable and easier to defend. In the case of Coutinho he is quick minded enough and slick enough to come up with a clever pass but Salah looked more about pace than slickness. He will score goals this way no doubt but defenders will watch videos of him and be better prepared as the season goes on. He is a good player and will help the team, I just prefer right footed players on the right as over the course of a season we will get more...just my opinion on football rather that a particular player, I think it is easier to shoot with the weak foot than cross as crosses need to be pinpoint whereas shots don't need to be so precise. Just my opinion!

As a team we don't seem so reliant on crosses but sometimes you need a good cross to an open player and it would be hard to watch for it not happen because the player was on his weak foot. Salah's pace and directness will help us this year, I do think however. Very curious to see how both him and Mane will play in the same lineup.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:23 am

redshade » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:12 pm wrote:
alxy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:13 am wrote:Undoubtedly a good signing. But both may not be available during the next African CON. And we all know what happened when Mane left last January to play there. Hopefully our squad will be more solid then. It seems to be these little niggles that stop us from really mounting a challenge or actually winning the PL. We had the Gerrard slip, and to an extent, Henderson getting sent off unnecessarily and being banned. Then last year was the mess in January which Mane leaving contributed quite a bit to. Hopefully this season everything goes our way. We need a bit of luck to win the PL as well

That's a relief. Especially if we bag Keita as well
alxy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:03 pm

alxy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:23 am wrote:
redshade » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:12 pm wrote:

That's a relief. Especially if we bag Keita as well

Because more and more African players are playing for top sides in Europe I imagine there was a lot of lobbying behind the scene's for it to be moved.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:44 am

Did well on debut he will do damage this season.
Having to pacey guys on the wings is something we have not had for years.
If only we had either during Rafas years.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:55 pm

I bit wayward first half but ended up having an excellent debut with a goal and assist. Think he'll be another successful Klopp signing and a bargain considering the way the market is.

Shame that people are so quick to lament the team for dropping points on the weekend and FSG for a lack of transfers but won't point out the positives. Only one post.
Eagle

Postby kazza » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:21 am

Again I don't like left footed players on the right and visa versa. Mane seems to have a better left foot so he is coping on the left but Salah is very one footed and I feel he will miss more chances that he would dispatch on his strong foot. He is not passing well enough or shooting well enough when forced to his right foot.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:24 am

kazza » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:21 am wrote:Again I don't like left footed players on the right and visa versa. Mane seems to have a better left foot so he is coping on the left but Salah is very one footed and I feel he will miss more chances that he would dispatch on his strong foot. He is not passing well enough or shooting well enough when forced to his right foot.

Based on his performance last night have to agree. Mid way through the game I found myself wondering why Klopp didn't tell Salah and Mane to sometimes interchange positions.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:37 am

woof woof ! » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:24 am wrote:
kazza » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:21 am wrote:Again I don't like left footed players on the right and visa versa. Mane seems to have a better left foot so he is coping on the left but Salah is very one footed and I feel he will miss more chances that he would dispatch on his strong foot. He is not passing well enough or shooting well enough when forced to his right foot.

Based on his performance last night have to agree. Mid way through the game I found myself wondering why Klopp didn't tell Salah and Mane to sometimes interchange positions.

He is significantly better playing the RW role than he playing down the left. The issue is that he doesnt have the skills and technique of a Robben or Douglas Costa that allow him to be as big a danger when we're on possession and he has the ball at his feet. It is also a bit of a confidence thing I feel with him; he had numerous opportunities to take on his man last night that he didnt take, that finish when 1 on 1 was also pathetic.

I felt he was brought on to be an impact sub and a solid replacement if one of Mane, Coutinho, Lallana are unavailable. He is at a similar level to Firmino (Firmino has been impressive so far this season) imo. If we had to pick our strongest 11, not sure who misses out between him and Firmino. Either way, I prefer Mane on the right and if Coutinho is to leave, I am coming around to the idea of getting a replacement who plays on the left wing to put Mane back down the right and drop Salah to the bench.  The other option would be to bring in a ST and drop Firmino to the number 10 role and use Lallana down the left flank.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Early days I know but as our record signing playing in his favoured position I was expecting a bit more from the fella. Couldn't help but wonder what Mane would have done with some of the opportunities Salah was presented with last night.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:09 pm

He's really quick and direct which leads him getting into good positions. I feel he'll be a confidence player though which we'll see the best of him and the worst of him. I expect him to get 15 goals for us especially if Coutinho stays. He's backed out of a few 50/50 challenges which worries me because he's really good at pressing the back line but he seems scared of getting hurt.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:24 am

I don’t think he is anywhere near world class and Mane is the far superior player but I think we’re getting a lot of bang for our buck in the modern market. As Mane is the key threat to opposition, Salah will get a lot of opportunities to run into space. I don’t think he’s the type to dribble past 3 players and put it in the net but he gives us an alternative outlet on the pitch and will keep getting into goal scoring positions.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:35 am

woof woof ! » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:03 pm wrote:Early days I know but as our record signing playing in his favoured position I was expecting a bit more from the fella. Couldn't help but wonder what Mane would have done with some of the opportunities Salah was presented with last night.

It's pretty obvious his nerves are getting the best of him...But it's early times and if he can relax a bit he will score ton's of goals..I don't think he is a wasteful player but right now you can just see he is in a panic mode.
only me
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion