Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby johnbarnes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:38 am

Kind of linked to Salah.
This is a nice touch by bobby...

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-t ... -18-season
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:24 pm

I wasn't sure what to think when we were initially linked, this is only our first signing so I expect another 2 first teamers to come in before the window closes. Having read Mourinho's comments when he first signed him I'm pretty excited to see what he can do and what he can develop into. Maureen drew comparisons between Robben and Bale with regards to his technique. Never watched him at Roma and I'm not going to watch anything on Youtube  :D
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Klopptomaniac » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:24 pm wrote: Never watched him at Roma and I'm not going to watch anything on Youtube  :D

I never watched him at Roma either !

BUT I did take a look on youtube and found myself thinking "hold up ! surely he's playing in Mane's position ? ! "

See for yourself

How is Kloppo planning to deploy Salah and Mane in the same first 11 ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Klopptomaniac » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:33 pm

woof woof ! » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:09 pm wrote:
Klopptomaniac » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:24 pm wrote: Never watched him at Roma and I'm not going to watch anything on Youtube  :D

BUT I did take a look on youtube and found myself thinking "hold up ! surely he's playing in Mane's position ? ! "

See for yourself

From that video Salah certainly prefers his left foot so if he's a winger on the left it may nullify his ability to cut inside or Mane gets moved so Salah can play on the right. Could we see Mane play through the middle?
Last edited by Klopptomaniac on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:39 pm

Like we did at the end of last season, I think we'll see a lot more of Coutinho in the centre this season. That would leave Salah and Mane playing either side of Firmino. Can you see us playing like this against teams who will sit back against us.

Henderson
     Lallana          Coutinho

Salah          Mane
               Firmino

But it's not practical in this day and age to have only quality player for each position. With European football we will have to rotate.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:24 pm

woof woof ! » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:09 pm wrote:

See for yourself

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/mohamed-salah-big-dilemma-jurgen-13220346
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:30 pm

I don't think he will play down the right.. He is left footed so would compliment Mane perfectly imo.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:38 am

crazyhorse » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:30 pm wrote:I don't think he will play down the right.. He is left footed so would compliment Mane perfectly imo.

After reading that Echo link from Kazza I wouldn't be so sure

"In 2013/14 he (Mane) played 50 games for the Austrian outfit from the left side and not a single one from the right.

Klopp’s desire for fluid, interchangeable positions will keep things interesting - the pair could easily switch during games - but the short money at this stage would be on Mane returning to his former position on the left to leave room for Salah on the right."

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:39 am

Think the opportunity is there for Klopp to get Mane and Salah to switch either side and centrally.

Klopp likes flexibility rather than set 'positions' so our front 3 sometimes 4 or 5 will buzz all over the pitch I think so nobody can be shut out by a direct opponent.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:32 pm

parchpea » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:39 am wrote:Think the opportunity is there for Klopp to get Mane and Salah to switch either side and centrally.

Klopp likes flexibility rather than set 'positions' so our front 3 sometimes 4 or 5 will buzz all over the pitch I think so nobody can be shut out by a direct opponent.

So the winner is! About time too... Too many of us are still trapped in the Rafa / Houllier era's of football. With defensive midfielders etc... Move on.
It is as clear as daylight that Klopp is running a system of multi-circular movement.
His team players will operate in zones and will be comfortable within their zonal areas be it left right or central.
Bobby may start centrally but may end up playing left or right of the attacking triangle. This will also be flexible from midfield allowing the likes of Lallana, Gini and Coutinho to make the play further up the field without have to worry about covering positions. As we have seen, the likes of Bobby and Mane are no slouches when it comes to running deep and retrieving the ball... 
It's very similar to basketball - the intention is to be able to demobilise the opponent through movement of players and not just the ball.
BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:05 pm

Welcome to the club Mo, I'd usually say keep your feet on the ground but Kopites expect to see you fly and there's no finer runway than Anfield.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Bazinga. Exciting signing and one that comes -almost- with a guarantee of goals. I was talking about us needing someone like Pedro and Salah is exactly that. Hopefully his signing will make us less vulnerable to injuries to the likes of Mane and Coutinho now.

With regards to where/whether he starts, it's anyone's guess really. I'd still love for us to sign a striker but I can see Klopp going with a flexible diamond with Mane and Salah both starting ahead of Firmino.

I dont think our side can function without the balance Wijnaldum brings. We could potentially line up like this, although we ideally should have a finisher on the pitch and a wide player on the bench in case we want to stretch sides in the tighter games :

Henderson
                       Lallana                    Wijnaldum
                                     Coutinho
                        Mane                     Salah
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ken_job » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:24 am

West Ham agreeing a £24M deal for a 28 year old Arnautovic is making our Salah purchase look like good business. Expensive window this one.
I'm really looking forward to seeing Salah in the PL
ken_job

Postby alxy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:13 am

Undoubtedly a good signing. But both may not be available during the next African CON. And we all know what happened when Mane left last January to play there. Hopefully our squad will be more solid then. It seems to be these little niggles that stop us from really mounting a challenge or actually winning the PL. We had the Gerrard slip, and to an extent, Henderson getting sent off unnecessarily and being banned. Then last year was the mess in January which Mane leaving contributed quite a bit to. Hopefully this season everything goes our way. We need a bit of luck to win the PL as well
alxy

Postby kazza » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:08 pm

I really don't like left footed players playing right wing ( and visa versa), it leaves them with one option which is cut inside and shoot, forget good crosses!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion