Does anyone feel sorry for Wenger?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:27 am

It looks like Wenger's time at Arsenal is drawing to a close, but I've been somewhat shocked at the abuse he's received. Does anyone else feel sorry for him?

In years to come, Wenger will go down in history as one of Arsenal's greatest ever managers. He took a club with zero approach to professional football and transformed them into a modern team. Title wins, unbeaten records, FA cups...almost everything bar the European cup. And even then he got them to the final. Yet, the way their fans are going, you'd think they were bottom and heading off to league 1.

I think it's sad. I mean, you log on to Arsenal forums and they're calling him all the names under the sun. Little do they know how tough it is to balance the books and secure top 4 footie every year. I really think they'll be in for a shock if their next manager doesn't hit the ground running....
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:35 am

Wenger is a good manager but i feel Arsenal do need change if they want to step up a gear. Their problems also stem in to the board.
They have been in the same circle for a long time with no improvement.

I don't agree with the abuse though it is disrespectful. If they want him out then fine but the abuse is disgusting.
For a laugh i watch Arsenal Fan tv when they lose. The rants over there are epic and he does get called all sort.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:48 pm

They did have some success before Wenger with George Graham but watching a Graham team was literally like watching paint dry, they were boring as hell, to be fair to Graham they weren't much better to watch under the likes of Terry Neill and Bertie Mee either.
Wenger has totally transformed the way Arsenal are perceived by the footballing world, the archetypal one nil merchants are now regarded as one of Europe's artisans, if anything Wenger has taken them too far in that direction because they are now seen as lightweight.
Getting top 4 for 20 years on the bounce shouldn't be sniffed at though, we know only too well how difficult it is to get in once never mind 20 times and okay he hasn't won the title for over a decade or whatever it is but the influx of petro dollar money completely changed the game.
Just like City's fans leaving Pelligrini to say his goodbye's to a half empty stadium I think Arsenal fans will come to regret these protests, imagine us looking back through the history books seeing banners and flags urging Shankly or Paisley to f[uck] off, doesn't even bear thinking about.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:50 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:48 am wrote:They did have some success before Wenger with George Graham but watching a Graham team was literally like watching paint dry, they were boring as hell, to be fair to Graham they weren't much better to watch under the likes of Terry Neill and Bertie Mee either.
Wenger has totally transformed the way Arsenal are perceived by the footballing world, the archetypal one nil merchants are now regarded as one of Europe's artisans, if anything Wenger has taken them too far in that direction because they are now seen as lightweight.
Getting top 4 for 20 years on the bounce shouldn't be sniffed at though, we know only too well how difficult it is to get in once never mind 20 times and okay he hasn't won the title for over a decade or whatever it is but the influx of petro dollar money completely changed the game.
Just like City's fans leaving Pelligrini to say his goodbye's to a half empty stadium I think Arsenal fans will come to regret these protests, imagine us looking back through the history books seeing banners and flags urging Shankly or Paisley to f[uck] off, doesn't even bear thinking about.

Wenger did a lot off the pitch to improve them. Remember, when he took over, the team had a huge drinking culture and at least 2 of the first team squad were full blown alcoholics.

Shameful the abuse he's received in my view.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Wenger brought finesse and elegance to a club that had seen a succession of largely pragmatic managers churning out workmanlike teams, he completely altered the mindset of the club  by playing football that inspired the fans.

This new generation of fans proffer little or no respect to a manager who created a style of flamboyant beautiful football that heralded a new beginning in Arsenals history, Wenger should be held in the same esteem as Rinus Michel's for giving English football a brand new audience.

Shameful way to treat an absolute legend of the game.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:32 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:04 pm wrote:Wenger brought finesse and elegance to a club that had seen a succession of largely pragmatic managers churning out workmanlike teams, he completely altered the mindset of the club  by playing football that inspired the fans.

This new generation of fans proffer little or no respect to a manager who created a style of flamboyant beautiful football that heralded a new beginning in Arsenals history, Wenger should be held in the same esteem as Rinus Michel's for giving English football a brand new audience.

Yep, well put RBG.
Good post mate.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 am

I find it very disturbing though sadly not surprising in this modern age.
Just another glorious chapter from this season to be written in this modern age of football along with Ranieri sacking
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 am

Ranieri sacking was the worst in Epl history ever.
2nd to that was sacking Roy Hodgson, what a bad mistake from us. :D
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:59 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:04 pm wrote:Wenger brought finesse and elegance to a club that had seen a succession of largely pragmatic managers churning out workmanlike teams, he completely altered the mindset of the club  by playing football that inspired the fans.

Yep, well put RBG.
Good post mate.

:nod  :nod  :nod

Agree with all the above, BUT, all good things eventually come to an end . There's obviously something "wrong" at Arsenal, quality wise, despite some top players in the squad they've slowly regressed in recent years.

Think the abuse their manager has been on the end of from some of their fans is unwarranted but maybe it's finally time Wenger did himself and the club a favour by moving on.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Its extraordinary this day and age that Wenger seems to have power over his own destiny, to stay or go, and not one I agree with at all.

Kronke is a bit like FSG in that so long as financial targets are hit there isnt any enthusiasm to risk that with expensive signings or kill dividends trying to reach for the stars, and Wenger is a man on board with that.

Hes been an outstanding manager and nobody could deny that but I do think its selfish to hang around when fans dont want him and hes just being difficult now, almost trolling gooners.

I hope he does leave as quite frankly the amount of media attention he draws is tiresome.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed May 31, 2017 8:53 pm

Signs 2 year contract. Well atleast plenty of laughs on AFTV.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby killerp » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:17 pm

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... the-season

End of an era.

I guess all those empty seats at the Emirates was the final nail in the coffin.
killerp

Postby redshade » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:54 pm

Arsenal fans must be excited to hear that i guess it was about time.

I was hoping he sticks around be because them lot not challenging for 4th makes it a bit easier.

With the players they've got and under the right manager i think they will do well next season.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Wenger transformed that club, before him they were the most boring team in the division, even when they had success under the likes of George Graham and Bertie Mee they were painful to watch.
Terry Neill, Don Howe.....put years on you.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:16 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:26 pm wrote:Wenger transformed that club, before him they were the most boring team in the division, even when they had success under the likes of George Graham and Bertie Mee they were painful to watch.
Terry Neill, Don Howe.....put years on you.

I enjoyed watching them when Wenger had his peak team. It was good to see another team take off titles from mannure.

His invincibles team was very good.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion